iPhone 4 costs $188 in parts, 1.7 million units sold in 3 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After tearing the iPhone 4 to bits, research outfit iSuppli estimates the handset's parts to cost about $188, or $187.51 to be precise. That figure is for the 16GB model and doesn't include costs associated with manufacturing, research and development, logistics or advertising. Unsurprisingly, the most expensive component in the new iPhone is its high-resolution "retina display," which runs about $28.50.

In all, the latest numbers are similar to what we've seen for previous iPhones, and iSuppli believes this is because Apple is targeting the same budget. The 3GS was estimated to cost $179 in materials, but considering features like the upgraded screen, the new A4 processor ($10.75), a gyroscope ($2.60) and other additions, the iPhone 4's extra $8.5 seems perfectly reasonable.

At retail, the iPhone 4 costs $199 (16GB) and $299 (32GB) when paired with a two-year data plan from AT&T, or $499 and $599 for unsubsidized units. Steve Jobs has called it the most successful product launch in Apple's history, with 1.7 million units shipped in three days. By comparison, the company sold 1 million 3GS' in the same timeframe.

Permalink to story.

"Steve Jobs has called it the most successful product launch in Apple's history, with 1.7 million units shipped in three days."

No doubt due to naming conventions. Some people are probably thinking that it has 4G capability when you actually need a provider that PROVIDES it.

mmmmm apple flavoured kool-aid...

Timonius said:
mmmmm apple flavoured kool-aid...

It's deeeeeeelicious! Unless you are left-handed, that is... Kinda gotta choke it down if that is the case, all the while internally chanting a mantra to remind yourself that Jobs is the second coming...

The Apple Kool-Aid from the cult leader Jim Jones oops Steve Jobs tastes so good.

not really... :p

Are people still thinking 4G means something other than generation? This isn't the first time in technology that the same acronym means multiple things. No one thought it was going to slow down to 2G when they released that one (or I missed the complaints at least).

Also, are LCD and flash memory prices EVER going to go down? They keep all the prices the same, make a higher capacity, then charge way more for it. For some reason, only the LCD manufacturers are getting bit by government oversight (and thats happening very slowly).

tengeta said:
Are people still thinking 4G means something other than generation? This isn't the first time in technology that the same acronym means multiple things.

I think it's more a comment about inconsistencies of naming conventions from Apple, and possible general consumer confusion. When the iPhone 3G came out, it was a product designed to work on the 3G network, as was the 3GS. The iPhone 4 is still 3G, which could be confusing to the layperson who might not understand that "3G" and "4G" refer to the actual wireless protocols, not the phones per se. Someone ignorant of the differences in conventions might infer that the iPhone 4 is a 4G product.

*sip* YECK!!! This Apple Kool-Aid tastes very bitter. I'm going to write a complaint to the company for making me buy this crap by telling me it's the greatest thing ever. Everyone else was buying it...hm, and they all seem to think it's very bitter as well...

*walks to computer, types a complaint, sends the email....the next day...."Despite thousands of complaints, there is absolutely nothing wrong with our kool-aid. It is the water you used to mix it....stay tuned"*

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back