iRobot launches new Roomba 880 with improved brushes and 50 percent more suction

Shawn Knight

Staff member

roomba

iRobot on Tuesday launched the Roomba 880, the newest member of the Roomba vacuum family. The latest hockey puck-shaped robot is said to feature the biggest technology innovation since the first Roomba rolled off the assembly line more than a decade ago according to iRobot CEO Colin Angle.

What’s new with the 880, you ask? Well for one, iRobot has done away with the traditional brushes that become tangled with hair and other debris rather quickly. After just a few runs, you’ll need to remove the brushes and free them of the hair or else the machine will eventually trigger a safety feature and stop working until you clean it.

In its place is a new roller technology, or “tangle-free debris extractors” as iRobot calls them, backed by 12 new patents. Not having to clean the brushes may be reason enough for some to consider the 880 but there’s even more technology at play here.

There’s also new “airflow accelerators” designed to create a concentrated stream of air to target select areas. It’s all topped off by a new motor that has five times the sucking power of previous Roomba models for 50 percent more dirt removal.

Roomba’s have always been a rather expensive investment and unfortunately, the 880 raises the bar even higher with a price tag of $699. Early reports also claim the vacuum is a bit louder than previous models and of course, it’ll still require a bit of upkeep on your part (emptying the dust bin, specifically) to keep it running in tip-top shape.

Permalink to story.

I swear this thing would scare the crap out of me if I were living by myself...sitting quietly and doing something, then a vacuum parks under your feet and turns itself on....

I have the 770 and love the thing... I've affectionately named it "GLaDOS" and it's made a big difference, should it ever die I guess I'll be upgrading. :)

$700 for a vacuum cleaner??? Thanks. I'll stick with the good old fashioned Hoover. It's far simpler, far less to go wrong and most importantly, far cheaper. These things never work as advertised anyway.

I saw a version of it from couple generations back, and according to the owner it worked just fine. I was thinking of buying one, but thought may be I should give it more time to polish the product. I think they may just have. I'll just wait for the first reviews to make the final decision.

I have been fascinated with these things for years. They are just so awesome! They dont justify the $500-$700 price tag though IMO.

Believe me, these little robot cleaners are worth the money. Our first LG Roboking $600 is beyond belief. I used the traditional vacuum to clean one section consisting of 8 rooms. I set Roboking free just to watch what it would do, not expecting it to collect any dust after the big cleanup. Amazingly there was heaps of dust, fluff and hair in the collection bin. Running Roboking every second or third day yields the same results. My research indicates 3 top models. LG Roboking, Samsung Navibot and iRobot Roomba. I chose Roboking for 2 reasons. 1. Lithium Polymer battery 3-5 years life compared to 1 year for Nickel Metal Hydride (personal experience with power tools). 2. Sealed dust bin that lifts out the top. Other models have a draw that can spill dirt back onto the floor.

I love my Roomba but it's about worn out. I looked to see about getting a new one and the price was outrageous! I bet this one won't be cheap either. I will probably have to do without.

Back