Is Blizzard bringing Diablo to the Nintendo Switch?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Blizzard on Twitter earlier this week shared a video of a demon-themed nightlight being turned on and off. The video’s caption read, “Sweet Dreams.” Naturally, because it’s Diablo and because the nightlight literally has an on / off switch, people assumed this was Blizzard’s clever way of hinting that Diablo is destined for Nintendo’s Switch handheld.

The tweet spawned plenty of online discussion but before getting too excited, you should hear Blizzard’s response.

When pinged for question, a Blizzard spokesperson told Polygon via e-mail that the post was meant to be a fun community engagement piece. “We can assure you we’re not that clever,” the rep said, adding that they have nothing to announce.

Intentional or not, the tweet has people talking and that’s a good thing. Nintendo has a reputation as a family-friendly brand which means gory content doesn’t often find its way to the company’s ecosystem. That mentality has changed a bit with the Switch, however, as traditionally violent titles like Doom and Wolfenstein have popped up on the Switch’s roadmap.

Blizzard’s most recent entry in the franchise launched nearly six years ago. Diablo III was initially a PC exclusive before finding its way to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in 2013 and landing on current-gen consoles in September 2014. Blizzard added a new playable character class, the Necromancer, last year.

Permalink to story.

There were at least a few R-rated games (mostly shooters) ported to the Wii U so I would say that family-friendly thing has been in question for a quite a while now.

The original Diablo was brutal you could attack anyone at anytime outside of town and all your items dropped if you died to a monster, oh the times are a changin.

It better be Diablo2 HD !!
d3 sucks big time.
Diablo 2 sucked pretty hard too. D1 was still the best. Only reason it died is that the protocols used to play it we're removed from windows post XP and blizzard didn't patch it. The servers are still running but you can't play online using anything higher than XP. It still works fine for LAN parties but broadband internet made those die a quick death

It better be Diablo2 HD !!
d3 sucks big time.
Diablo 2 sucked pretty hard too. D1 was still the best. Only reason it died is that the protocols used to play it we're removed from windows post XP and blizzard didn't patch it. The servers are still running but you can't play online using anything higher than XP. It still works fine for LAN parties but broadband internet made those die a quick death
No no no, D1 sucked pretty hard too. It had nothing on Moria or Angband! The ASCII characters in place of actual graphics was revolutionary!

Ah yes Nintendo known for its family friendly games, for example Turok 2! I absolutely loved blowing holes in the torsos of my enemy’s and see the bits go all over the place when I was 12!

And really Diablo3? Isn’t that game 7 years old at this point? Who hasn’t played this? Bet they charge like £40-50 for it on the switch. This is why I don’t buy Nintendo anymore, they want too much for the games which clearly they spend less money developing than most triple A developers spend. Also cartridges really? It’s 2018!

Back