Is Intel E 7400 Supported On Asus P5B MX WiFi AP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Hi guys.

I am in a fix. My motherboard is an Asus P5B MX / Wifi AP. It says that it can support FSB up to 1066 MHz. But on their website there is O.C. written against it. What exactly does that mean?

I want to upgrade my current P4 processor and get the E 7400 Core 2 Duo. Will the motherboard support it?

Please help. Thanks.

Thanks direwolf007.

But I have another question. The CPUs listed have FSB 1066 MHz. But the ASUS website mentions something like "Overclocking Only" for 1066 MHz. What does that mean? Do I have to overclock my motherboard to support say the E 6700 C2D which has an FSB of 1066 MHz.

If yes, then how can I do it?

This is where we need that old system for good and bad advise. The core 2 duo you mentioned will fit that mobo, as they are both lga 775 socket and cpu.

Whether they fit, and whether the BIOS supports it, are two entirely seperate issues.

I have two computers here, both S775. You put a Celeron in the one, it gives a microcode error. It's not supported (that's an Asus Pundit). I have a Shuttle system here. You put any number of old Pentium 4s, Celerons or old school Core2Duos in it, it says "CPU is not support. System will automatically shut down". It's limited the Celeron D 400 series, E2200 series and E8000 series.

So do be careful before you bash advice based on "they're both socket 775".

This is where we need that old system for good and bad advise. The core 2 duo you mentioned will fit that mobo, as they are both lga 775 socket and cpu.

We indeed need that system for good and bad advice, because you're wrong. The 45nm series of CPUs are not supported on that motherboard. Going by your reasoning a motherboard with the 915 chipset would run a QX9770 just fine, since both are LGA775.

There is far more than having an identical pin arrangement to the CPU and motherboard for both to work together.

I realize there are bios updates that are to be had. I've had to revert or install new ones for two machines. If you chk on Asus' website you can see the bios updates, also listed in the forums.

45 nm chips were released after the bios update. I retract my statement. I thought the psb series supported these chips. Then realized when I had the "deluxe" version the 65nm chips were just being release.

Sorry, moving on.

Hi guys.
I want to upgrade my current P4 processor and get the E 7400 Core 2 Duo. Will the motherboard support it?

Please help. Thanks.

This is just my 2 cents on the CPU. IMHO, it doesn't seem to make sense to spend the money for an E7400 when you can but an E 8400 from Microcenter for $149.95. This is the same money that Newegg wants for the E7400. Best idea (IMHO here again), is to spring for the E7300, $104.95 @Microcenter, and overclock the little sucker to E7400 stock speed. Just a thought.

CPU to Mobo compatibility is a problem that's to be expected. Intel is releasing new lines of CPUs fast enough that it's almost a given that some older boards are going to be rendered obsolete. I know that doesn't help. But the manufacturer's philosophy seems to be, sell the new chipset board along with the CPU. To be fair to them, you get a whole lot more for a whole lot less money than at anytime in the past. P4s used to cost a couple hundred bucks. Today you can get a killer board and processor for the same money.

I understand guys.

But what I want to know is whether an Intel 6700 Core 2 Duo will be compatible with my ASUS P5B MX/WiFi AP motherboard or will I have to overclock the motherboard?

Please help.

I understand guys.

But what I want to know is whether an Intel 6700 Core 2 Duo will be compatible with my ASUS P5B MX/WiFi AP motherboard or will I have to overclock the motherboard?

Please help.

Usually, the OC remark on a certain FSB setting means one thing: The motherboard supports an FSB setting the original chipset did not. This is a manufacturer decision once a production line is mature enough for that.

The E6700 is listed on the supported CPU list for this motherboard at the manufacturer's site, thus it is supported fully by the motherboard.

The problem here is that the E6700 might be getting a bit hard to find these days. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115002 Newegg only lists 2 Conroe core CPUs as available, the E6750 and the E6850. Yeah I know, Newegg isn't the last word on product availability, but they're a pretty fair indicator now aren't they? No wait, ZipZoomFly has it for only $322.00 USD. On the upside, it's free shipping! http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80861&prodlist=celebros

Neither of those CPUs is supported on this motherboard, unfortunately.
See my post above. If ZipZoomFly's price on the E6700 ($322.00) is any indication, it still would be cheaper to buy a board/CPU combo. I suck at being willing to buy on Ebay, or from less reputable Etailers, so that might be influencing my opinion. The CPU would need to be @ about $250.00 to not warrant changing the board.

See my post above. If ZipZoomFly's price on the E6700 is any indication, it still would be cheaper to buy a board/CPU combo. I suck at being willing to buy on Ebay, or less reputable Etailers, so that might be influencing my opinion. The CPU would need to be @ about $250.00 to not warrant changing the board.

What's the current pricing on the Q6600 or Q6700 ? Both are on the CPU support list and the Q6600 should still be quite common (Sorry I am not looking it up myself, I have a coding project to finish up).

I have an E6700 in this computer on a P5W DH Deluxe. The CPU works fine, just getting old. You can't order them anymore unfortunately. I just checked stock at my suppliers and they don't even list them anymore.

If you're willing to pay $250 USD plus shipping, you can have this one. You can have a new Intel fan with it as well if you want. I have 4 drawers full of them. hehe

Do I need to upgrade my BIOS to support the Q6600? My BIOS version is 0501. The CPU support list has 2 Q6600. One is revision B3 and the other G0. G0 requires BIOS version 0612 and B3 requires 0117. Which one will be supported on my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back