Is it always worth replacing a hard drive for an SSD?

rodion15

Yesterday I replaced the hard drive for an SSD in my Mac Mini late 2014 (mine is the lowest range of the latest mac minis, with 4GB non-upgradable RAM), I had to take apart the whole machine, which wasn't easy at all. I measured the transfer speed with Blackmagic Disk Speed test and found the speed increase a meager 50MBps (from 98 MBps to 149 MBps). I was a little disappointed. I expected a much bigger increase. I hope I'm wrong somehow.
Would the speed be much higher with a more powerful processor or more memory?

The SATA port must be capped at SATA I specification, if it tops out at 150MBps. It might be possible there is a Backward compatibility setting in the BIOS (assuming Macs don't use a different name) restricting to SATA I specifications. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it is worth a look.

Which Mac Mini do you have?
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html

The model I looked at for Late 2014 supports SATA III, so I'm just as confused as you as to why it is capped at 150MBps.

Last edited:
I mentioned the model above. Maybe because this is the lowest range of these new mac minis and the processor isn't very fast.

Its worth replacing a normal hard drive with a SSD for sure. You should definitely notice some type of difference in speed and boot times.

About it only going up to 149mbps that is a bit strange but as long as you see / feel an improvement then hey atleast you got some type of positive outcome.

Back