Is it legal to rip a DVD that I own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are what people say.

1.I backup my DVDs. I used my hard-earned money to purchase it, so I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to make a backup copy of it.

2.By the spirit of the law (IMO) you can strip off the copy protection and make a "not unreasonable" number of copies for personal use. That means (for example) you could copy a DVD to play in your car's DVD player so the kids don't scratch up the original, and copy it to your iPod so you can watch it on the train, but you can't give, sell, or otherwise distribute the copies to anyone.

3.Technically speaking, it is illegal to rip DVDs (even if you own them). In order to rip a commercial DVD, you must circumvent any copy protection that is set in place. This is the illegal part of the ripping process. I wouldn't worry though as it is a dumb law and the FBI, MPAA, or anyone else isn't going to knock down your door for DVD ripping.

4.I'd say you are safe to back them up, so long as you do not try to share or distribute them in any manner. No judge in their right mind would charge you with copyright infringement if you owned the originals and were only using the backups for personal use.

I'm pretty sure it could be interpreted as technically illegal to make any sort of digital copy of any copyrighted media. Loopholes used to allow making backup copies, but it seems like the trend it to close those holes. I think part of the legality is in how you use the ripped information.

This is from Wikipedia:

On the whole, it is legal for an individual in the United States to make a copy of media he/she owns for his/her own personal use. For instance, making a copy of a personally-owned audio CD for transfer to an MP3 player for that person's personal use would be legal.

In the case where media are protected using some effective copy protection scheme, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act makes it illegal to circumvent that copy protection scheme. This law makes it illegal to rip most commercial DVDs as they are typically protected by CSS encryption.

There are also legal restrictions on what may be done with rips. As made clear above, ripping unencrypted media for personal use is legal. However, it is often the case that ripped music and videos are not ripped solely for personal use but are distributed to others. Unless this distribution is covered by the limited fair use exceptions to copyright law, then this constitutes an offense under U.S. copyright law as distribution is one of the exclusive rights granted to copyright holders.[2] This is regardless of whether the distribution is commercial or free of charge.

Recording industry representatives have claimed (in the context of Atlantic v. Howell) that ripping itself may be regarded as copyright infringement.[3] However, there is no legal precedent for this and, even within the industry, this is the minority view. In oral arguments before the Supreme Court in MGM Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd., Don Verrilli, representing MGM stated: "And let me clarify something I think is unclear from the amicus briefs. The record companies, my clients, have said, for some time now, and it's been on their Website for some time now, that it's perfectly lawful to take a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your iPod. There is a very, very significant lawful commercial use for that device, going forward."[4]

What is the point of this thread?

If you wanted discussion on it, you should have posted it in meeting spot. But your post isn't even your words (but at least you cited it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back