Is it possible to boot my Dell through external hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sritce

my o.s or driver got corrupted..itsnt booting..only one drive in my lap..since i need my date i couldnt format and reinstall os...i have one driver c.d..i tried to repair but invain..its not bootin thro safe mode too..i inserted xp cd and tried to repair os..i went to cmd prompt ..then in cmd i tried to copy data from c: to my pen drive..but its says no access ..pls any suggestion to copy my data ..can i boot xp thro any ex.hard disk and is t possible to copy data after that???

There are a number of BootCDs you could use. A good favorite of many is The Ultimate BootCD

Yes backup to USB flash, then install Xp clean (removing the partition when asked in the initial setup process)

Note, you do not need to create a new partition or even format the drive, as Windows setup will automatically create an NTFS formatted file system, on a non-partitioned drive, during Windows install.

the tools u given were useful..i am goin to download HDclone tool alone..its an ISO file..i will write in a c.d(using any image writing software)..so that it self boots..my doubt is "can i copy the entire C: to External HardDisk (in usb port)"..is it possible..

[

Oh Clone:
Not sure if that one does USB or not
Just try them I suppose, and let me know :grinthumb

Norton Ghost (I use this one)
Acronis True Image (most users like this one, images and backup incrementally)
Acronis Migrate Easy (Just disk clone - quite good!)
Drive Image (Basically an alternative)
DriveImage XML (This one is free!)
MaxBlast (I haven't used this, but it's free)
pc-disk-clone(Home Edition: Up to 2GB/min, Pro Edition: Up to 7GB/min)

Imaging: Backs up your entire system, including Windows and data, plus your partition as well. The image can be stored on removable media, such as DVD. And usually takes under an hour (depending on size of image) to fully recover to a blank HardDrive.

Are you using a 32bit or 64bit OS? This is very important...

I know that Norton Ghost will backup and clone via usb drive, yet only for a 32 bit OS. As for other cloning/backup tools, the only other one that I have used successfully is Retrospect.

*Note*
DO NOT try to use Ghost on a 64bit OS it will NOT work and you will have to reformat the drive.

There is only one exception to the above notation, and that is if you have an AMD processor with a 64bit OS. Then, and only then, will Norton Ghost work with 64bit. 64bit Intel processors do not support Ghost for some reason.

Hmm it says:

Supported File Systems and Devices
FAT16, FAT16X, FAT32, FAT32X
NTFS
Dynamic Disks
Linux® EXT2/3 and Linux Swap Partitions

From here: http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost

It doesn't actually say Not 64Bit. But it does say NTFS (leaing you to think; all)

Here's a quote from a post in their forum: Here: http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=other&thread.id=5542
I have installed Ghost 14 in my laptop, and OS is windows vista 64-bit ultimate, found no issue. I think Ghost 14 is fully compatible with 64bit vista. and so is Ghost 12

So does that mean you're wrong, or what does it mean?

I have phone conferenced extensively with a connection of mine at Symantec over this issue. I have tried and tested many variables, with different operating systems (XP 32 and 64. I haven't tested Vista yet), and different types of processors from intel and amd. What I can tell you is that in my experience, Norton Ghost will not work with a 64bit version of XP unless it is run on an AMD 64 processor. For some odd reason Intel processors are not compatible with it.

I will say that Symantec is well aware of the issue and is working to resolve it, though I have not received any word that there is a fix as of late.

As I mentioned, I have not tested this with Vista 64, only Vista 32. It worked fine with Vista 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back