Is it possible to change language in Windows XP

DjKraid

Hi!

I was wondering if there is any way to change the language of the OS?
My friend has a computer with WinXP (eng) but he doesn't understand it
so he would want to change the language to Finnish (Finnish ppl usually
have problems with English :/ ).
Or is there any way to change the "skin" or make an own "theme/skin"
that is in an other language or something...?

thx in advance! :)

is it big (file size & type / cd)? -or is it just an .msi or .exe file that should be ran in windows...? -or how does it work..?

Yes it is an install file and quite large. The Chinese simplified is 505MB. If you don't have a hi speed download they offer a CD also.

When I go into Settings / control panel / Regional and language there is an option to select an alternative language. One of the many is Finnish. You can explore from there, You can set alternative languages as switchable or primary language choice. It is likely that most common languages are readily available on a full retail XP install CD, or if not will be free downloads.

Chinese and other back-to-front languages are probably quite large and a conserable upheaval for the OS. Possibly MS should be congratulated for making so many language capabilities possible - it must be no mean feat.

I'm trying to find a cd or something...but no luck so far :/

in "Regional and language Options" there is -> Location, Standards and formats, Keyboard layout, right to left writing support, some advance language support and then some uni-code(?) something stuff...

I found after by mistake (in some old random cd case that I have had for years) 4 CDs that had the label "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Multilingual User Interface"...and there it was, with that I could "add" languages and after the installation of a language I was able to switch between languages when ever I want...

So it's fixed :D

How come..?
The funny thing with Finnish ppl is (for ex.) when they say the word "the" they renounce it like the first letter would be a "d"...it's not ok to laugh, but there is nothing that i can do about it xD when thay talk it sounds funny but then again after a while it starts to get bit annoying...

How come..?
The funny thing with Finnish ppl is (for ex.) when they say the word "the" they renounce it like the first letter would be a "d"...it's not ok to laugh, but there is nothing that i can do about it xD when thay talk it sounds funny but then again after a while it starts to get bit annoying...
"D" for "TH" should be fairly common in Scandinavian languages in general.. And "renounce", means to cut all ties with, or cast off association with something, with predjudice. I think you meant "pronounce"

When I say trouble with English, I mean the things that trip up non native English speakers, but shouldn't give someone with English as a first language problems. For example English homophones, or homonyms such as; "THERE", (Adverb, indicating location), "Their", (possessive pronoun, indicating someone's ownership of an object), and "They're", *(a contraction of a subject 3rd person pronoun, and the 3rd person form of the verb "to be". > "They are", (uncontracted). The same for your, and you're.

Beyond that, this post will rapidly become way too long for this thread.

Back