Is it possible to mount a folder as a drive in win XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

I was just thinking to myself, (dangerous at the best of times), and started wondering about file encryption.

Is it possible in XP to create a folder and mount it as a drive on the same machine without a network?

If so, is it also possible to drag and drob files into that mounted folder? That is to say, the drive gets bigger the more you put into it?

Just a thought I'd like to have an answer to. I may start fiddling with the idea later.

Got it. Thankyou for telling me the command :)

For anybody not understanding syntax...

subst e: c:imagefdr

..assigns the folder "c:\imagefdr" as a virtual drive, with a letter assignment "e:\"

Is it possible to do it with a file? Lets find out. :)

well, I don't know if it is possible to use a file as a drive, but I don't think it can be done that way. I just tried TXT, and an empty zip file, and neither work.

Two more thoughts, the second of which is completely unknown to me.

Is there any easy way to create a virtual cd drive?

Is it possible to run custom encryption routines on a virtual drive or folder?

There is a driver for NT to use files as (hard)drives and even mount raw floppy images.

wierd idea

is it possible to use a virtual drive for a different filesystem? I don't think so, but actually having Linux in the middle of my NTFS drive would be wicked. What about even just Windows 98 or 2000 (or some other windows OS) even. I didn't even know this was possible, thanks!:grinthumb

You can format a virtual drive with anything you want provided you have the software. You can't really install an OS on a virtual drive unless you use an emulator. E.g you'd need a Mac emulator to run Mac OS off a virtual drive sitting on your NTFS partition. Or Bochs to install Win98 in Linux.

is there any emulator to install Fedora Core or Red Hat 9 (or any other Linux)? I've tried cygwin, but it doesn't have any graphical interfaces like XWindows.

I'm trying Bochs, but I have a big question. I don't want to erase all the data on my C drive, but Linux says it can't read deva. Will it only delete the data on the virtual drive, or will it actually partition my hard-drive?

Are you running Linux in Bochs?

Anything you do in the Bochs window happens in a sandbox and cannot damage your computer. The only exception is the floppy drive.

Thanks PanicX. Works fantastic. I just put a shortcut into my SendTo folder to subst and I can mount a folder perfectly. Too bad there doesn't seem to be an option to name the virtual drive, but since I only use it temporarily it doesn't really matter.

I use nero on XP has avirtual drive command for up to 2 drives
I use to test boot up files and dvd before burning

I use both GamesXCopy and Alcohol 52% for CD-ROM emulators. Though GXC is not available anymore. Both can create images from CDs as well. And Daemon Tools is great also, unless you need fancy techniques for retail encrypted CDs which use bad sector mapping and other techniques. Or if a plain ISO of a disc doesn't work.

We used VMWare at college for running the Windows Server 2003 on top of XP, it worked perfect. No partitioning needed, you just tell the emulator how big of a "hard drive" you want, and it just becomes a big file on your real hard drive. It was pretty cool, we created all kinds of virtual hard drives for use in the virtual 2003 for making virtual RAID setups and so forth. All very real :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back