Is my cpu fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a used amd xp1800+ to upgrade from my severly outdated duron 900. i swopped out the processors and switched on my computer, only to be greeted with a black screen! the dvd drive light stayed on continously with no beeps. is my processor fried? the cpu has no bent pins or burn marks.Thanx

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When you inserted the new cpu, did you use thermal paste?

Is the heatsink properly attached, and the right way round?

Have you tried clearing your cmos?

Does your mobo support the new cpu? Check in your mobo manual.

What mobo do you have?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

NO! i figured it would b ok for a few minutes to see if it worked, added heatsink and fan.
yes cleared cmos.

yes mobo does support cpu.
unfortunately i have a ecs elitegroup k7s5a

I would say that thye motherboard can't run the 1800+ because that is
quite a big leap from a 900MHz Duron.

ID the motherboard and visit it's manufacturer's site for a manual that will tell you which processors the board can run.

XP 1800+

QuantiSpeed™ architecture
266MHz front-side bus
462-pin Socket A interface
128K on-chip L1 cache
256K exclusive on-chip L2 cache
Fully pipelined superscalar floating point engine
3DNow!™ Professional technology and superscalar MMX™ technology
0.18-micron manufacturing process
1.75V core voltage
37.5 million transistors
128mm^2 die size

"Besides the hardware changes, you've obviously noticed that AMD has slightly changed the name of its flagship processors. The new Palomino processors are denoted by the new "XP" designation. Unlike previous 7th generation processors, the Athlon XP processors are branded based on their performance relative to conventional Athlon processors. So in the case of the Athlon XP 1800+ we're testing today, the chip offers similar performance as AMD's previous Athlon product at 1.8GHz even though it's only running at 1.53GHz."

Here are the specs for the Duron 1000

200MHz front-side bus
462-pin Socket A interface
Large 128K on-chip L1 cache
High-performance 64K exclusive on-chip L2 cache with hardware data prefetch
Fully pipelined superscalar floating point engine
3DNow!™ Professional technology and superscalar MMX™ technology for great multimedia performance
0.18-micron manufacturing process
1.75V core voltage
25.18 million transistors
106mm^2 die size

The FSB is 200MHz for the Duron and 266MHz for the XP 1800+, so if you can't set the FSB to 266 on your board, you won't be able to run the 1800+ at full speed even if you got it to work at an underclocked speed.

all good now

got cpu tested, dead as the proverbial doornail! Beware ebay sold as seen! replaced the cpu at my local comp store with a used athlon 2200+xp everything ok. had to take a stick of ram out of the board to stabilise it now every thing ok. Thanx!

mossey said:
Beware ebay sold as seen!
eternity said:
Yes, ebay and computer parts don't really mix.
This is simply not true... I have built three systems using almost nothing but parts from ebay!

As with anybody or anywhere you're buying from you need to have common sense when you buy. If you buy a product from a non-reputable seller with low feedback, or your case, you bought an "as-is" CPU, what do you expect?

i couldn't really be bothered turning off Far Cry on my slow computer to bring back the 2200+ i paid £10.00 for! If you have a faster mobo and cpu for £10.00 let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back