Is Putting Tape Over Your Webcam Actually a Good Idea?

learninmypc

When you walk around an office or café, you’ll often see people using an array of items to cover up their webcam. Sometimes it’s tape, post-it notes, folded business cards, stickers, their thumb, or a marlin. I smear peanut butter over my webcam, but chunky peanut butter. It’s more secure than smooth.

None of those items came with the laptop upon purchase, and it’s easy to make fun of putting something there as paranoid. The idea that someone wants to look through your particular webcam seems a bit narcissistic and on edge, as if we’re leaving our house and saying to one in particular, “Please, no cameras.” FULL ARTICLE

The simplest solution is to cover your webcam with black electrical tape. If a single strip isn't doing it for you, you can always double up. However, if you'd rather not have tape residue on your webcam, you can always purchase a small sliding lens cover for about $5 on Amazon. When you're done using your webcam, just slide the cover in place. It's easy to do and won't interfere with you closing your laptop.

I have heard certain spooky things like, people can record or see us from those webcams and sometimes use that to threaten us. Is this the reason the webcams are kept covered in such a way?

Back