Is this a good motherboard for a budget build

farrentodd

MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard please let me know thanks in advance i am on ssi and can only get one thing at a time and want to make shure i get what i need no mastacks this will be for an internet gameing pc

What are you even talking about. The MSI board is an obsolete LGA775 Socket board with no onboard video. The X58 board is a triple channel RAM high performance Core i7 Socket LGA 1366 Muy caro! (And about to become obsolete).

So, the answer is a resounding "neither one", and I suggest you do some more research into the lower end Core i3-5 H55 and newer boards with onboard video to get you started.

Hi farrentodd.
I agree with what has already been posted.

If you want further help, you'll want to tell us more about this computer, specifically:
Budget (and what that budget includes)
What you're using it for.
Additional information that we might ask you later

BTW it doesn't make sense to get one thing at a time. You might as well just wait until you can get it all at the same time.

ASRock has quite a few solutions for a budget gaming rig. Gigabyte is also a viable alternative. However, as the earlier two posts said, your monetary budget plays a big role, so make that clear, along with an explicit description of you intended use. If gaming in your terms means Counter-Strike 1.6, even a rig as cheap as mine can squeeze out 350+ fps. Crysis, however, is a different story.
Intel Ivy Bridge is quite the buzz now, so take that into account. "Never buy the latest hardware" is a thing I've learnt here at TS.

I agree that you shouldn't get one thing at a time, PC components depreciate quite rapidly. Just save up and get everything together.

I'm going to be using the pc for light gaming offline older games and for online gaming like everquest and wow and game like that i do very little video editing too i only make 1200.00 dollars a month i have MS and cancer and cant work so i get SSI its hard to get by so i do what i can as far a budiget it would be around 300 to 500 dollars i know not much when it comes to a good pc i corrently have a dell optiplex GX280 tower style with 256mb navida quadro 4400 video card and 8 gb of ram and a 500 gb hard drive and it has 2 dvd rewriters one has lightscribe i put 1 addicanal 120mm cooling fan in it because i am on a lot o and it has a 1gb big foot enternet card too so i hope this helps thanks for all your help todd farren at (email removed to protect user's privacy).

Todd, I'm reporting your post above with your Email address. No foul, you didn't do anything wrong. But it's to your own advantage to remove it, or the moderators will.

Hello again farrentodd.
Any budget is understandable, but it would be helpful if you clarified what exactly your budget includes.
Will you need to buy a new OS? Harddrive? Monitor? Will you reuse your parts?

New box VS. upgrade yer old.

I will address most of my post to the possibility of upgrading your box.I don't follow with the hype about the 'latest and greatest' but with the idea that older hardware can be used for far longer than many believe.

I found this while searching for your current box:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx280/en/ug/specs02.htm

IMHO a CPU upgrade is probably pointless as is more RAM as long as it is maxed. I would consider a more recent video card as the major point.

You list 8 GB RAM and this page clearly breaks down the memory max on all 4 form factors as much less at 4GB. There is no point in having more in this box as the CPU is 32 bit only. Both tower form factors are capable of PCI-Express x16 cards, undoubtedly not V 2.0, but this is OK just gives lower performance than V 2.0 or higher would but the cards available are simply so much better than what you are currently using. The thing to do is make sure any card you buy is not too long for the case.

Power supply varies a bit here. Either 250W or 305W and neither is really quite big enough but this type of purchase could be delayed for a short time. The thing here to consider is the size of the enclosure not just the wattage. Your case is a serious constraint if you don't go for a new build. Measure your PSU carefully and check a site like newegg.com as it lists sizes for all PSUs. I would suggest a 450W as a minimum and a 550W as a max. Both will be re-usable in a future build.

Basically what I see here is a video card and PSU swap. The cost for this shouldn't cost more than $150 to $200 and as I say the PSU can be deferred for a short time. Some will argue with this last point but I have done this successfully several times when finances were tight.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Back