Israeli defense forces employ more AI weapons systems in reinvention of warfare

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: While the explosion in the use of AI, both generative and otherwise, this year has brought concerns over job losses and the death of human creativity, it's also exacerbated long-held fears regarding artificial intelligence's implementation in weapons. In Israel, the country has been utilizing autonomous guns and drones for years. Now, its air forces have started using AI to select targets for air strikes and organize wartime logistics.

Bloomberg reports that Israeli military officials have confirmed the use of an AI recommendation system that analyzes swathes of data to determine which targets to select for air strikes. The raids can then be quickly organized using another AI model called Fire Factory, which uses data about targets to calculate munition loads, prioritize and assign thousands of targets to aircraft and drones, and propose an attack schedule.

Giving AIs large levels of control over military operations has brought plenty of controversies and debate. An Israel Defense Forces (IDF) official tried to alleviate fears by emphasizing that the systems are overseen by humans who vet and approve targets and plans, but the technology is not subject to state or international regulation.

Israel's AI systems have been used in battlefield situations before, including an 11-day conflict in the Gaza Strip in 2021 that the IDF called the first "AI war" due to its use of the tech to identify rocket launchpads and deploy drone swarms. Should tensions with Iran over its nuclear enrichment program continue to ramp up, Israel's AI tools will be deployed in a larger-scale war in the Middle East.

Israel is a global leader when it comes to autonomous weapons and systems. The AI-powered gun turrets on its borders can track targets with enhanced accuracy when firing the likes of tear gas and sponge-tipped bullets. The country has also used autonomous suicide drones, or loitering munitions, that "loiter" in the air before striking a target that meets previously identified criteria.

Proponents of AI being used in these systems claim that they could reduce civilian casualties. Those arguing against their use say a mistake by a machine could wipe out innocents, leaving nobody culpable.

This year has seen several advancements in autonomous weapons. In February, a new Lockheed Martin training jet was flown by an artificial intelligence for 17 hours, marking the first time that AI has been engaged in this way on a tactical aircraft. That same month saw the US Navy take delivery of a ship that can operate autonomously for up to 30 days.

These advancements, and a warning from former Google boss Eric Schmidt that AI could have a similar effect on wars as the introduction of nuclear weapons, led to more than 60 nations agreeing to address concerns over AI use in warfare at the first global Summit on Responsible Artificial Intelligence in the Military Domain (REAIM). The only attendee not to sign this call for action was Israel.

Permalink to story.

We've seen those before...
aAlTh2.gif

We've seen those before...
aAlTh2.gif

Yeah but sure we seen that in Terminator flashbacks/flashforwards.
I blame money / TV standards. We slowly decrease the regulations on swearing, violence, gore etc and now we are heading to doomsday.
Just 20 - 30 years ago, we started down the Star Trek 70's level sci fi, making phones, and tazers to stun. Phazers are yet to really make an appearance, I.e in a hookers purse / bra / butt crack.
But doesn't matter we moved on, now following a more 90's 00's sci fi era, more violent, gorey, and end of the human race.

I do hope we can get a matrix up and running soon, then I can be a battery that dreams, rather than fertilizer and worm food.

Israelis have probably used code from the Project Sentry Gun on GitHub by sentryGun53

Same handle is used on YouTube SentryGun53 if you want to see it in action

Last edited:
Imagine if Israel was just left alone and people read history. There is almost nothing that little country could accomplish.

Well... it's far more complicated.

Israel is the target of criticism primarily because it claims to own the entirety of the Holy land. But the Bible does not support that claim. Joshua 13-15 explains how God divided the land among 12 tribes. Jews are descendants of the House of Judah. Their portion is the southern coastal region, known as the Kingdom of Judea. The northern part was given to ten tribes who collectively were the Kingdom of Israel. Note that Judea is not Israel. They were deadly enemies.

So what happened to the Kingdom of Israel?

"The Kingdom of Israel was conquered by the Neo-Assyrian Empire around 720 BCE. The records of Sargon II of Assyria indicate that he deported 27,290 Israelites – around one fifth of the population of the Kingdom of Israel – to Mesopotamia; this deportation became the basis for the Jewish idea of the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel. Some Israelites migrated to the southern kingdom of Judah, while those Israelites that remained in Samaria, concentrated mainly around Mount Gerizim, came to be known as Samaritans." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Israel_(Samaria)

Four-fifths of the Kingdom of Israel survived Sargon II, and were NOT deported. DNA studies show that Palestinians are genetically very close to Jews. This means that Palestinians are the direct descendants of the 10 Lost Tribes and the Jewish/Palestinian conflict is actually an inter-tribal conflict.

Like they say, the devil is in the details...

There's no safe way to take out enemies in highly populated areas, there will always be innocent causalities, which then creates more freedom fighters (Israel state would call these terrorists such as they and the western countries called Nelson Mandela a terrorist).

I genuinely feel that war isn't necessary and that most ordinary people wouldn't choose to harm another person unless the option was kill or be killed. The entire issue is always leaders and greed. The worst people govern the world.

Ai isn't a magic bullet to make warfare safer.

I blame money / TV standards. We slowly decrease the regulations on swearing, violence, gore etc and now we are heading to doomsday.
Er are you a grown adult?.... Swearing is part of every day life, but it seems the P.C. police want to try and whitewash this basic fact. American media is especially annoying when it comes to this fallacy.

Just 20 - 30 years ago, we started down the Star Trek 70's level sci fi, making phones, and tazers to stun. Phazers are yet to really make an appearance, I.e in a hookers purse / bra / butt crack.
But doesn't matter we moved on, now following a more 90's 00's sci fi era, more violent, gorey, and end of the human race.

I do hope we can get a matrix up and running soon, then I can be a battery that dreams, rather than fertilizer and worm food.
That clip is from Aliens: Directors Cut Special Edition, not Terminator. =)

You mean geneticly close to Israelis? Because as I understand it, a lot of jews from europe, america, emigrated to Isreal.
Did you know the oldest monotheism religion in the world going back almost 6 millenia only has 16 million population. If the birthright is passed down via mother you can bet that many don't know they are probably decentents of Abraham himself. Also those migrated their were in exile and according to the Bible technically still are. Imagine thinking that a group of people that were constantly discriminated at, probably sold to slavery, forced to convert to every other religion and having their offspring still know their ancestry many millenia later.

Anyone watch Fauda series. Next season Daron comes back as a cyborg .
Question is can these machines survive a drone strike...all it takes is one good spotter. Also I didnt see this yet but what is the effective range of one of those bots?
I believe they have those too and no they don't have God mode enabled in the holy land no pun intended.

Last edited:
The picture in the article reminds me of the Assassin Droids from Star Wars: The Clone Wars and The Mandalorian - just what the world needs. :rolleyes: IMO, its not a surprise when driven by "An Eye for an Eye".

Back