I've accidentally deleted the sound off my laptop

here goes:
I have a dell Inspiron 15R
and I was messing around with the IDT sound program thingy. I changed a few settings and suddenly my speakers and laptop were playing at the same time. I looked online and someone suggested I unistall and reinstall it. once uninstalled I restarted my laptop and tried to reinstall it by going on the intel drivers website it then came up with this message: the hardware is not supported by IDT and will abort the installation. now my sound thingy is gone and when I click on the sound settings everything is empty even the microphone thingy.

PLEASE HELP!

p.s sorry for my use of the word "thingy"
p.p.s me and electronics have a bad relationship

Hi there, rjamda.

If you're using Windows, you might be able to correct the problem with a system restore. The process reverts your OS and driver configurations to an earlier state. You have to be extra careful, though, as a bungled restore process can mess up your laptop in a very bad way.

As for reinstalling the driver, did your laptop perchance come with a CD? If it did, then maybe you can have look there and check for the drivers you need. If your laptop did not come with a CD, then you may want to check this link: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection.

Remember, you need to download and install the correct drivers for your laptop's make and model. You need to be very careful about that.

Having said that, if you have a "bad relationship" with electronics (and you and I are very much alike in that way :)), perhaps it would be wise to have someone more experienced with PCs there to help you out with all of this. I'd even go so far as to suggest that you take the laptop back to the place of purchase and have the tech guys have a look at it. I really doubt the problem will take too long or cost too much to fix.

Hope this helps even a little. :)

Aye, as Dawn as said, just head to Dell's website, enter your service tag and download the correct driver. In the case of Dell and other mainstream manufacturers of laptops, it's always best to grab the drivers you need directly from them, and not from the actual support pages of the maker of the individual piece of hardware -- unless you have specific reason to do so.

Hi there, rjamda.

If you're using Windows, you might be able to correct the problem with a system restore. The process reverts your OS and driver configurations to an earlier state. You have to be extra careful, though, as a bungled restore process can mess up your laptop in a very bad way.

As for reinstalling the driver, did your laptop perchance come with a CD? If it did, then maybe you can have look there and check for the drivers you need. If your laptop did not come with a CD, then you may want to check this link: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection.

Remember, you need to download and install the correct drivers for your laptop's make and model. You need to be very careful about that.

Having said that, if you have a "bad relationship" with electronics (and you and I are very much alike in that way :)), perhaps it would be wise to have someone more experienced with PCs there to help you out with all of this. I'd even go so far as to suggest that you take the laptop back to the place of purchase and have the tech guys have a look at it. I really doubt the problem will take too long or cost too much to fix.

Hope this helps even a little. :)

Thank you so much! I thought I would've had to reboot my laptop ! :)

Back