Jaguar Land Rover developing system that beams 3D movies in front of your eyes

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: 3D content has fallen out of fashion in recent years—many manufacturers have abandoned 3D TVs, though you’ll still find the format in theaters. Jaguar Land Rover, however, is developing an infotainment system that utilizes 3D images, projecting them in front of drivers and passengers.

The primary function of this 3D heads-up display and infotainment system is to project real-time safety information into the driver’s field of view; this includes navigation prompts, any potential obstacles, and lane departure warnings. Jaguar Land Rover says that research in Germany shows stereoscopic 3D displays improve reaction times for drivers and betters ‘depth judgments.’

“Not only does [this system] provide a much richer experience for customers, but it also forms part of our Destination Zero roadmap, helping us move towards a safer future,” said Valerian Meijering, one of JLR’s Human Machine Researchers.

Additionally, the system could be used to display 3D movies. By implementing head- and eye-tracking technology, users could experience 3D content without the need for screens or shutter glasses such as those used at theaters. This could be an excellent way for bored, presumably non-talkative passengers to pass the time, with their own choice of media optimized for where they’re sitting. And, once self-driving cars become the norm, it could provide entertainment for people being driven to a destination by a vehicle. In addition to 3D movies, it might also display journey details and points of interest.

“Not only does it provide a much richer experience for customers,” said a JLR spokesperson, “but it also helps us to move towards a safer, more intuitive and smarter future, for everybody.”

Permalink to story.

So cool. Like in a movie I saw in my childhood :) Future is now.

As if we didn't have enough issues with distracted drivers.
There are a lot of people who use their phones while driving or listening music loudly. It's not a distraction I guess but culture.

I don't want anything that blurs or adds distraction to my visibility. Is this government/safety approved? It is illegal to have anything hanging from your review mirror. I also do not want to pay inflated prices, then also have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to repair it when it fails.

I don't even like wipers when it's raining. It's like someone waving their arm in front of you while driving. That is why I use window treatment so I don't need to use wipers. It's much much safer. Another benefit is raindrops are smaller as they travel up the windshield rather than splat and stick in between wipes. :)

Last edited:

There are a lot of people who use their phones while driving or listening music loudly. It's not a distraction I guess but culture.

Using phones while drive is also distracted driving.
Music can be depending on the situation (Passive vs Active Listening)
Distraction + Unexpected Situation can lead to disaster.

To be fair, I can see there's a bit of distracted culture when driving.

Last edited:
On my 2016 Elevation when I go over 5 mph the 7" screen will say 'feature not available when vehicle is moving' or something along those lines when I have a USB in playing MP4's. I would need a bypass kit to view 'video in motion'. Arrgghh its a pet peeve of mine.
And here they are putting in a 3D system in a high performance Jaguar.
God bless those folks in Birmingham.

It's one thing to be listening to music or something else while driving because your eyes and most of your attention is still on the road. Watching a movie is a completely different thing altogether. A drivers eye and attention would be divided between the road and the video being displayed.

Not only is this concept a VERY bad idea, it's also illegal in many places, for example where I live. Here, it is serious crime for a driver to be watching video of any kind while the vehicle is in motion. I predict that in places where it's not against the law, it soon will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am beginning to think those brainless engineers and designers are hell bent on distracting drivers even more these days!!

Once again, if we are going to go after people for "distracted driving" they need to enact laws that prevent automakers from putting more distractions in the cars to start with. Yes, yes, yes, I know this would be a perfect example of "restraint of trade" but if no car maker could include them, that wouldn't limit the number of cars they can sell, especially since no competitor would have an upper hand.
I guess it would be fine for the passengers to watch, but only if they could make it so the driver can NOT watch or hear the movie. A distraction is a distraction and it's high time that somebody out there in our elected representatives put their foot down and pulls in the reins on these guys!

Back