Joystick problems: lack of gameport, usb adapter problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking though some past joystick posts, I believe this is the correct forum for my question, sorry if I get it wrong; new to these boards.

The Problem:
I have an old (windows 98 era) Microsoft Sidewinder 3D pro Joystick. My system does NOT have a gameport(sound is onboard motherboard). I have a Gameport-to-USB adapter that was lent to me(unknown: manufacturer, driver requirements, system requirements).

There IS a new device under Sound, Video, and Game Contollers in the Device Manager that wasn't there before. I'm dead positive its the adapter. Its called Unknown Device( properties tab: no drivers installed, details tab: Device Instance ID is ROOT\Media\0000. Windows automatic driver update does NOT find a driver for this device, but searches under the category MEDIA, and recommends i look for the driver myself.

I want to get my joystick working through the USB adapter. As far as I know this should be a fairly straightforward process, but i'm stumped. Any help with installing and configuring this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Additional information:
Windows does NOT detect the adapter when it is plugged in(tried restarting ,too), no 'add new hardware wizard'

Add New Hardware wizard does NOT auto detect the adapter

Upon trying to Add A Game Controller from the Control Panel (both Microsoft Sidewinder autodetect and 4-button joystick with POV and throttle setting) end in the error message 'your gameport and or gameport drivers are not properly configured. Please consult the device manager'.

I'm going to continue fiddling on this end. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sounds like you need the software for the adaptor to me. Are there any numbers on it to help idenify it?

No markings of any sort on the adapter, I looked already. I dont believe the old drivers for the joystick will work anyway, and would probably want gameport, or gameport emulation of some kind, too.

It's not really a port issue. I presume you have Windows XP. If so, the old Windows 98 Microsoft Sidewinder is not supported by Microsoft for Windows XP. That's why you can't find a proper driver from MS. Intuitively, it seems like there should be a way but if there is, it won't be through Microsoft. So unless you can find a non-Microsoft driver, you'll have to get another joystick for your XP system.

For what it's worth, the Microsoft Sidewinder joystick that superceded the old one works fine with Windows XP and does use a USB connection.

I have the exact same problem with my joystick and USB adapter. I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision and it uses a serial port but my laptop does not have a gameport. So I purchased a gameport to USB adapter manufactured by Nexxtech. It has four settings: 1. Game pad, 2. joystick A, 3. joystick B, and 4. racing wheel.

When I plug into the computer, it recognizes it as a USB adapter and an HID. The problem lies when I try to calibrate it. It won't recognize the joystick movements. Instead the buttons go off randomly or so it seems as recognized by the computer.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm running win XP.

Madcatz Panther XL

I also have an older joystick that I would like to use. It is a MadCatz Panther XL. Anyone had any luck with a joystick other than the Sidewinder? Thank you.

Christovich, if you have XP or Vista, Mad Catz does not list a driver for your joystick that supports those operating systems. They only go up to Windows 2000. Have you tried that one? It might work in XP.

I had it working on an older computer (but do not remember if it had XP or not) the problem I have at the moment is that the joystick is a gameport joystick and my newer system does not have that connector. I am wondering if a gameport to USB adapter would work?

It might and adapters are available but you could still have the joystick driver problem. It might worth a try anyway.

What joystick did you buy this to use with? I have read that it only works for one model of Sidewinder.

As for drivers I know this isn't a problem right now because I can not connect it to the computer yet.

Hi all I have really the same problem: an old microsoft sidewinder 3D pro Joystick
But I still have a gameport so i try to connect it without using any usb-adapter.

And...There IS a new device under Sound, Video, and Game Contollers in the Device Manager that wasn't there before. I'm dead positive its the adapter. Its called Unknown Device( properties tab: no drivers installed, details tab: Device Instance ID is ROOT\Media\0000. Windows automatic driver update does NOT find a driver for this device, but searches under the category MEDIA, and recommends i look for the driver myself.

The fact is that yesterday, after some time, my pc changed the status from: "Not connected" TO "connected" .......the joystick was OK!!

I used it also for playing and all was perfect !!

Today, my pc show me: "Not connected" again....

What I have to do ?
What could i do with this Unknown Device (MEDIA) ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

P.S. English is not my first language so, forgive me if there are some errors.

EDIT: another strange thing is that on my brother's pc (that also use windows xp) the joystick works without any problems !!

Win 98 Sidewinder Force Feedback will work w XP

The Win 98 sidewinder force feedback you have will work w XP. You need to get a older sound card. I don't know if the new ones still have gameports. But, a soundblaster live will work great. So long as you have a free pci slot. You can get um used for about $5. Just disable your onboard sound from device manager. In most cases the soundblaster live will give you the same quality sound or better anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back