JPEG file error

rhik1984

Hi to all. I am not sure if this is the correct board to post my problem to! I apologize if I am wrong.

I save my picture albums in external storage device. Its the memory of an entire lifetime, my school, highschool and all. Now I opened it after many days to find that many of the JPEG files are showing 'X' although their properties are showing appropriate file size. If I try making a slideshow, it says 'No preview available'. I have tried opening it with MS Office Picture Manager and Adobe Photoshop 7 but of no avail. I have tried to look it up on google and tried repairing the images using a few free online picture repair tools, but it says no data available or something. Please help me resurrect those images. I dont understand what could possibly go wrong with them! I use Windows XP home. They are very valuable to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Yes. Everything else seems to be perfect. Only few pics from few directories. One more thing I noticed a few days back is that in one directory, the pics are all jumbled up. Meaning the tumbnail shows one pic and when you open it its something else but from the same directory! Ty

first, the thumbnails are created on the fly and not stored on the HD.
When you view the folder, set the view to DETAILS instead of Icons. The try opening one of the files
you are having problems with.

You might download Picasa3 and have it scan that folder - - it will show you ALL the pics
in it and it does create a Thumbs.db file

Strange thing. In the details mode, its showing nothing in the dimension or date columns! Attaching a view of my screen for your review. Sorry I am extremely ignorant of these technological issues! Pardon me for that. Ty

I had picasa on my laptop which I uninstalled a few days back for I dont use it much and I had windows image viewer, MS Pic manager and adobe 7! didnt want to clutter up the laptop!

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 3
Name type size & date are the normal headings for a detail view.
Picasa is a great picture indexing / viewing tool - - you can use whatever you like best.

I think I would login as ADMIN and run CHKDSK /F $$: to verify your external HD (hint: $$ is the drive letter followed by ':'

I downoaded Picasa and tried importing an affected directory. It too couldnt show these images!
Ran the CHKDSK /F $$: function. It didnt show any error. Was thinking of pasting a snapshot of the window here, for you, but it just vanishes as soon as it finishes! But the pics are still the same! No improvement. Please help.

Back