Keyboard and Mouse will not work once windows boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, So I currently have a Dell XPS 410, I was playing WoW last night and the game froze, has happened before, usually because i have a bad connection to the internet and i just have to ctrl alt delete and close it out and reboot the game, well last night that didn't solve it so i rebooted my computer and did a complete system restore to an earlier date where i did not have this problem, went to bed... Today i got up and tried to get on for some more gaming but my keyboard and mouse would not work, i rebooted and got them to work in the BIOS/Setup menu but once windows booted it wouldn't work again, i couldn't type in my password to get to my desktop screen. I was using a PS2 Keyboard that did not match up to the PS2 slot on my tower so i had to buy a PS2/USB adapter, but NONE of the USB ports are working, The mouse and keyboard are recieving power from the computer as the mouse's little blue laser lights up and stays on but the only light that will even come on on the keyboard is the num lock button, what is wrong?!?!?! Please someone help me.

Hi

do you have a XP Cd , if so boot from it and choose repair, it sounds like your drivers have corrupted on it.

Yea, thats what i was thinkin but the computer is my fathers and i'm just borrowing it until i get a new one, i have the win xp cd but he says he doesn't want me to repair because he is afraid that he will lose some of the files he has saved on there and since i can't log onto the computer i can't back any of the files up... Will any of the files be deleted when i do the repair or is that only when you do a complete wipe of the computer?

On Windows Advanced Boot Menu, (location of Safe Mode selections)

Choose Last know good configuration!

Mike

just fyi.... when you initially boot your system BIOS provides USB support. Until the point that windows starts at which time Windows should be supporting it.. So as pointed out for sure is a Windows related issue.

Short of XP repair there are still several things to do. In particular, windows update and reinstalling your usb controllers and chipset and chek connections.. See below

See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]
See [post=752196]How to Check Hardware / Connection Issues with your USB Device[/post]
See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back