Keyboard not found - EPP - disabled - getting tired of this on my wife's computer

glhglh

Just checking, it seems like something is still wrong on this computer.

just using a standard plain usb keyboard. All of a sudden this morning, when she was changing a plain ordinary mouse, the keyboard quit working. it works on another computer. the mouse works, while using the same usb port.

in device manager, there is no entry for Keyboard. in devices and printers, way down at the bottom, a "usb multimedia" keyboard shows, but when I try to look at the drivers, there are several drivers, and I cannot delete, or disable any. Looking at the HID compliant consumer control device driver details, there are no drivers.

Device Manager/Keyboard: shows keyboard. there are speed settings, but in the hardware tab, no name, manufacturer, location or device status.

Just in case, with all of the problem we have had lately, I did some scans. the dss scan seems strange.

Is it?
mbam

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Motherboard: FOXCONN | | 2AB1
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840T Processor | CPU 1 | 783/200mhz
==== Disk Partitions =========================
C: is FIXED (NTFS) - 918 GiB total, 825.115 GiB free.
D: is FIXED (NTFS) - 13 GiB total, 1.549 GiB free.
E: is CDROM ()
F: is Removable
G: is Removable
H: is Removable
I: is Removable
J: is Removable
K: is CDROM ()
M: is NetworkDisk (NTFS) - 466 GiB total, 127.913 GiB free.
P: is NetworkDisk (NTFS) - 466 GiB total, 127.913 GiB free.
R: is NetworkDisk (NTFS) - 273 GiB total, 148.536 GiB free.
S: is NetworkDisk (NTFS) - 466 GiB total, 127.912 GiB free.
T: is NetworkDisk (NTFS) - 466 GiB total, 127.911 GiB free.

Something is rotten in Denmark!

Some place I saw a message that windows updates was set to no update hareware files, but I can't find where to change that.

Problems found in the trouble shooter:
hardware changes might not have been detected
windows update configured to never install drivers???? how do I change this

Some place I saw a message that windows updates was set to no update hareware files, but I can't find where to change that.
Go into Control panel>Automatic update, click it & on the box that pop up, make sure automatic (recommended) is checked.

The very first thing I did was that, but we always use the automatic. My problem on that computer was I cannot load the "standard keyboard" driver.

But, I tried again. followed the trouble shooter link to download a new trouble shooter.

This is the message I got:

[FONT=Segoe UI]Issues found[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Potential Windows Update Database error detected 0x80070057[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Fixed[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI] [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Repair Windows Update Database Corruption[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Completed[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI] [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Windows Update components must be repaired[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Fixed[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Repair Windows Update components[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Completed[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]And this message:[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI] [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]OutputReport.txt[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]File Name: [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]AllLogs.zip[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI] [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Collection information[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Computer Name: [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]BJH-HP-DESKTOP[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Windows Version:[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]6.1[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Architecture:[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]amd64[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Time:[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:04:41 PM[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Publisher details[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI] [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Windows Update[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Package Version:[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]6.0.2.20120214[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Publisher:[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI]Microsoft Corporation[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]When I tried to aces the alllogs.zip file, I got this message.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Windows cannot open the folder.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Access to the Compressed (Zipped) folder:[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]C:\Bettyh\AppData\local\elevated diagnostics\2560293460\2013033022.000\alllogs.zip is denied.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] As an aside, I was able to attaché a "wireless" keyboard & mouse combo, that worked (sorta).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I tried two different ones from other computers. on both, the numlock pad didn't work. After several hours, I found one small item on a board I'd never heard of, but the suggestion was to look at the Ease of Access Center, and make sure that Mouse Keys were not checked to be on. Amazing, the number lock and number keys then worked. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I don't know how that even got checked, but that was the first time (in 25 years of working with several PCs here at home, I'd seen that one).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]but after the "fix", plugging in a plain keyboard (the one that came with the computer), and nothing. AS long as the other's work, I don't care. (except that it bothers me that if a simple keyboard cannot be recognized. what else:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I can't copy the Device Manager list, but, When the wireless combo is plugged in, The device manager icon for keyboards is visible (showing the kind), and the Mice and other pointing devices is also visible (with right driver).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]If I unplug the usb for the combo keyboard/mouse, both of those devices show, and in the Human Interface devices:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]2 HID Compliant consumer control devices [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]1 HID Compliant Device[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]1 Microsoft Hardware USB Keyboard[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]1 Microsoft Hardware USB mouse[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]by unplugging the Combo Device USB wireless:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]there are not HIDs (reasonable, seeing nothing is connected & no keyboard and no mouse[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]by plugging a wired mouse, and nothing else:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]There is one USB Input Device in the Human Interface Devices section, and under Mice and other pointing devices 1 HIF Compliant mouse.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]if to the wired mouse, I also add a wired keyboard? [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]If I unplug the usb for the combo keyboard/mouse, both of those devices show, and in the Human Interface devices:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]1 HID Compliant consumer control devices [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]3 HID Compliant Device[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]3 USB Input Device (but the keyboard doesn't work. Always try three separate USB wired keyboards that work on other computers.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]I don't know why.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]I tried to download the original keyboard driver from HP, but it did not help. the response was "cannot recognize device"[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

If its a HP keyboard, go to their website. If not, go to the Keyboard manufacturers website. Other than that, its over my head. Good luck.

Can you run a windows restore point , before this happen, If so this might correct your problem. Sound like one of your drivers were corrupted.

I'm having the same problem with my razer black widow keyboard I've tried everything, what happened was I plugged it in and waited for the drivers to install once they installed I started using it but nothing was happening it had power running to it because it lit up but it didt detect it as a keyboard in the device manger in fact it has no idea what it is. I plugged in my original keyboard and the same thing happen I tried another keyboard and it happend again I think there is some sort of corruption but I have no idea I'm not taking computer science for my GCSEs so unless some one can swoop in and tell my what's going on I'm getting to the point where I might just wipe my pc and start all over but I would really like keep all my stuff. If you can please help

Back