Kickstarter dress shirt can be worn for 100 days without washing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Washing clothes is such a drag. Just imagine how much time you could save if you didn’t have to bother with such a time consuming task. That thought will soon become a reality for some if 24-year-old marketing grad Mac Bishop has anything to say about it.

That’s because he recently took to Kickstarter to fund what he calls “the better button-down” – a shirt he claims is wrinkle proof and can be worn odor-free for 100 days straight. How does he know that? Simple – he wore one of the shirts for 100 days straight without washing it.

In an interview with CBS News, Bishop said he ran four miles in the shirt, biked five miles in it and even tossed it on after a basketball game. Even through all that, it didn’t smell or look worn. The secret is in the material the shirt is constructed of: wool.

No, this isn’t the same itchy wool that your grandma used to knit those dreadful sweaters when you were a kid. Bishop spent six months developing the trademarked Cotton-Soft wool fabric using the finest shirting yarn typically reserved for the luxury fashion industry. The material is said to be naturally anti-wrinkle, odor-fighting and lasts six times longer than cotton.

To turn the dream into a reality, Bishop turned to Kickstarter with a goal of raising $30,000. With 19 days to go in the campaign, he’s already raised nearly $300,000 thanks to the generosity of more than 2,100 backers. The project will be funded on May 22 with an estimated delivery date of March 2014.

Permalink to story.

Stupidest idea.

If sweat and dirt do not manifest through odor or visually, they still accumulate just as fast, as do the harmful bacteria with it, perfect ground for skin diseases. Thank you very much.

I read a little more about this and the material is good at preventing the growth of bacteria because of it's surface. It's a little bit slick so dirt and bacteria cannot easily stick to it.

I read a little more about this and the material is good at preventing the growth of bacteria because of it's surface. It's a little bit slick so dirt and bacteria cannot easily stick to it.

Bacteria can only be counteracted efficiently by chemicals and thermally. The surface may reduce their overall density, but it cannot stop the growth. You still will end up with pockets of bacteria grown way beyond health limits.

Stupidest idea.

If sweat and dirt do not manifest through odor or visually, they still accumulate just as fast, as do the harmful bacteria with it, perfect ground for skin diseases. Thank you very much.

Obviously the control test he did was pretty extreme. I don't think he actually intends for people to do the same as he did. I can see this being used by those business professionals that spend their days in an office and might not have time to wash their own clothes or bring them to the cleaners. Or for people that only like to wear dress shirts like that on occasions, you can wear it once for say, Christmas and hang it back up in the closet and leave it there until Valentines for example. I think your comment was just a little short sighted.

Obviously the control test he did was pretty extreme.

On the contrary, his test is absolutely not credible. A credible test would include a medical test and observation of what is happening between the shirt and his skin as he continues wearing it. And those would be gruesome results.

Just so, I grew in a family where both parents are doctors, with one in dermatology, and even though I fell out the family trade, I think I know very well what I'm telling you here.

Wow, VitalyT certainly has something against a shirt that he knows little about... almost like it insulted his mother...

Anyways, it sounds quite convenient for those who don't like to or have time to iron their good shirts. And under normal wear sounds perfectly acceptable unwashed for a while...

Wow, VitalyT certainly has something against a shirt that he knows little about... almost like it insulted his mother...

Anyways, it sounds quite convenient for those who don't like to or have time to iron their good shirts. And under normal wear sounds perfectly acceptable unwashed for a while...

You're taking it too far yourself :)

I will respond in kind with an old military saying that goes "A man who doesn't wash his own socks is not really a man".

P.S. The cost of laziness has always been far greater than simple doing, is the lesson the lazy never learns.

Funny, but just watching Game of Thrones reminded of the Great Unsullied - now that sounds like a good trademark for those who wants to wear this :)

All I want is the wrinkle free. Not requiring a wash for 100 days is a bonus that few would ever exploit, myself included.

VitalyT I have a couple Van Heusen wrinkle frees and one by Perry Ellis. They're nice shirts, but they aren't wrinkle free so much as they are more wrinkle resistant than ordinary cottons & poly blends. My comment was geared towards an actual wrinkle free shirt that performs above and beyond standard selections.

VitalyT I have a couple Van Heusen wrinkle frees and one by Perry Ellis. They're nice shirts, but they aren't wrinkle free so much as they are more wrinkle resistant than ordinary cottons & poly blends. My comment was geared towards an actual wrinkle free shirt that performs above and beyond standard selections.

My understanding - they are wrinkle-free between the washes, or at least till the first wash, not that they will remain wrinkle-free if you opt not to wash them when needed.

It is just a gimmick, it isnt that effective.

VitalyT Your understanding is correct but it's a bit of a false advertisement in my experience. They hold up very well underneath something like a blazer or a sweater (minimal creasing), but post-wash they must be ironed otherwise the fabric will have a "rough" look to it. It's much better than you get with ordinary cotton, but still requires the same prep.

VitalyT Your understanding is correct but it's a bit of a false advertisement in my experience. They hold up very well underneath something like a blazer or a sweater (minimal creasing), but post-wash they must be ironed otherwise the fabric will have a "rough" look to it. It's much better than you get with ordinary cotton, but still requires the same prep.

It is more of a question to women here, I'm no expert. I never could get my shirts looking as good after thorough washing + ironing as when they were new, either I suck at it or it is just not possible...

It is more of a question to women here, I'm no expert. I never could get my shirts looking as good after thorough washing + ironing as when they were new, either suck at it or it is just not possible...

This is 50% how you iron the shirt and 50% the shirt itself. Depending on the materials the shirt is made with, shrinkage of the thread and cloth fibers as a result of the first wash will remove any chances you have of making the shirt look like new. If you're lucky and get a shirt that washes well, everything else has to do with how you iron it. Typically, steam on the appropriate temperature setting will make the shirt look like new. You just have to watch how you go about refining creases and keep appropriate tension on the fabric. Some people like to use starch during the ironing process, but it causes the fabric to look unnaturally stiff.

Invent a shirt that insults people's mothers and I guarantee you it will sell like hotcakes.

There does seem to be something wrong with this. Dirt and bacteria can get lodged in fabric, not simply on it, when perspiration is absorbed by the fabric and when you get dirt and bacteria in the fabric your in for some stank. So perhaps the fabric doesn't absorb any moisture and it feels like you're wearing a trash bag. If it uses the, "finest shirting yarn typically reserved for the luxury fashion industry" then I imagine it will also come at the highest price typically reserved for the luxury fashion industry.
I call gimmick. But for what it's worth I'm in a bad mood atm.

Invent a shirt that insults people's mothers and I guarantee you it will sell like hotcakes.
I saw one with this once:
132.jpg

Not sure if it sold well though...

Back