Kim Dotcom steps down as Mega director to focus on other projects

Shawn Knight

Staff member

kim dotcom mega music

Kim Dotcom has stepped down as the director of Mega, the cloud hosting platform he launched earlier this year following the shutdown of MegaUpload. The Internet entrepreneur will use his newfound time to work on other projects which include political aspirations and ongoing legal battles. A filing with the New Zealand Companies Office confirmed the resignation.

One of those new projects is said to be a music platform, formerly known as Megabox. The service will be operated by a company he already owns and moving forward, Dotcom said he has dropped the Megabox name for a more favorable one. The music service won’t use the same “Mega” branding as his other projects, we’re told.

Dotcom said there are 22 developers working on the project which is expected to launch within a few months.

Elsewhere, Dotcom said he recently completed a draft program to create a new political party. It’s his wish for this new party to participate in New Zealand’s elections next year. He told TorrentFreak that he was excited about the party and was confident that he can help the country become a significant Internet economy player. He added that someone needs to lead New Zealand into the future because unfortunately, the current government doesn’t know what the future looks like.

Dotcom also has an extradition hearing related to his involvement in MegaUpload scheduled for November of this year although it is very possible that it could be pushed back to April 2014.

Permalink to story.

We make fun of this guy because he's fat. And because he's kinda an obnoxious jerk that thinks he can do anything he wants to.

Honestly though... pretty much every story I hear about the guy I like. He's doing good work in technology, and I especially love how he snubs his nose at authorities and the status quo. You might laugh about the fact that he's forming a "political party" but who knows, maybe he helps craft the right kind of technology laws for the country placing it ahead of other countries and making it a more desirable place to run a tech company...

Long live the fat bastard.

Heh, NZ needs all the help it can get on the tech front. I hear that the Interwebz service there is terrible for a 1st world country.

We make fun of this guy because he's fat. And because he's kinda an obnoxious jerk that thinks he can do anything he wants to.
All good, solid reasons to make fun of him, and a good foundation for pointed humor. (albeit a slightly jiggly, squishy one).

Like I always say, "eat well, and cast a wide shadow"....!

If fat jokes are your thing, I'd suggest catching "Mike & Molly" on the CBS network.

He needs more time to eat Maccas.

So much food, not enough time!

Maybe he should apply for CEO of Microsoft...
Nah, he should think BIG! (pun intended).

He should be God. Then we could change the old saw, "what hath God wrought", to, "what hath fat rendered"......:D

(Good one Cranky)(y)

I get the feeling that this is guy is SO FREAKIN WATCHED on by the NSA, lol

Back