KSCATEGORY_VIDEO_CAMERA

Cycloid Torus

What is that?

I have a webcam. Device manager in Windows 10 says it is 'working properly'. Skype version 12 says it cannot find it. While this Skype is a trusted app in Win 10, I think it may be an *****. After digging for a couple of hours, I learned that my Win 7 web cam which worked well on Win 8 and on Win 10 will not work in the 'new' Skype because it is not a "KSCATEGORY_VIDEO_CAMERA". A search on this term produced NO results.

So, friends, what is a "KSCATEGORY_VIDEO_CAMERA"?

Hi @Cycloid Torus Here's link that explains it a little from MS community! Not much help! I read a little about it and it's above my pay grade.I think you're going to have to get a newer Web camera :'(
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-work-in-windows-store-apps-in-windows-8-or-a
The webcam works correctly in desktop applications. However, the webcam does not work in Windows Store apps, such as Microsoft Skype app. Additionally, you may receive an error message that asks you to connect a camera to the app.

Try using Google Hangouts as an alternative to Skype.

So I looked it up on Wkipedia - and paraphrased:

"Babel" officially launched as Hangouts on May 15, 2013.
On February 16, 2015, discontinuing Google Talk migrate to the Hangouts.
In January 2016, discouraged using Hangouts for SMS, instead use "Messenger" SMS app.
In May 2016, Google Allo, a messaging app and Google Duo, a video calling app. Google confirmed that the new apps will not replace Hangouts .
Google's Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones will ship with Google Duo and Allo instead of Hangouts.
On January 6, 2017, Google announced that the Google Hangouts API will shut down on April 25, 2017.
On March 9, 2017, evolving Hangouts into two products: Hangouts Meet on video conferences and Hangouts Chat on instant messaging.

I guess Hangouts is evolving itself into a subgenerus with new species.

I think I might follow Talk which became Hangouts which became Meet...as long as Meet work with 'working properly' webcams.... well, as long as it stays as Meet, which might not be long.

Thoughts on "Meet" are appreciated (including warning if it requires a "KS" camera).

Edit: Oops, that won't work - wants proprietary hardware - So back to Skype or Hangouts...

Re-edit: Reviews section on app page for Hangouts makes it pretty clear that it is 'fairly wonky' - but I would like to hear more.

ps: This poster went through the same 'discovery' process that I did.. . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...m/1e3b7c5d-d05e-40e9-9d9e-917a184d1eb9?auth=1

Last edited:
Yea, I saw all that, but as there are multiple choices for SMS, I only needed Video conferencing, and Hangouts still fills that need, at least for me on win/7 pro

Use google hangouts although I barely use the thing for social chatting with others.
The features google packs into it include voip phone service has been more than welcomed to me.
Skype is too expensive though the service is good it has its problems, I'm surprised ts doesn't get more issues from people relating about skype.

What is that?

I have a webcam. Device manager in Windows 10 says it is 'working properly'. Skype version 12 says it cannot find it. While this Skype is a trusted app in Win 10, I think it may be an *****. After digging for a couple of hours, I learned that my Win 7 web cam which worked well on Win 8 and on Win 10 will not work in the 'new' Skype because it is not a "KSCATEGORY_VIDEO_CAMERA". A search on this term produced NO results.

So, friends, what is a "KSCATEGORY_VIDEO_CAMERA"?

Facing the same issue, still no solution for me.

@Susan591 -- you're not alone on
what is a "KSCATEGORY_VIDEO_CAMERA"?

Take that directly to Google for the mess it has created

Back