LAN internet (Wired) disconnects a few times day

eafshar

Dear Techspot,

My internet connection on my PC disconnects 1 to 3 times a day. The windows troubleshooting hasn't been able to reconnect it. Disabling and enabling Ethernet doesn't do anything. I have only been able to reconnect after a system restart. Here is the fuzzy part: This seems to only happen when I am not on the computer. I leave it on to mine with the 2 new GPU I installed last week.

Here is my ipconfig/all results:
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ehsan-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hitronhub.home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hitronhub.home
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D0-50-99-82-4F-F6
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d5ee:fe72:6bbf:3f17%10(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.248(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 02, 2018 7:09:49 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 7:09:49 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 181424281
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-33-70-06-D0-50-99-82-4F-F6
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
                                       hitronhub.home

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:48b:3f37:9c1b:199e(Preferred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::48b:3f37:9c1b:199e%13(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201326592
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I will repeat above when it disconnects again to see if there are any changes.

Also my current system spec from speccy below:
Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASRock Z170 Pro4 (CPUSocket)
Graphics
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (MSI)
ForceWare version: 388.71
SLI Disabled

Any help is appreciated.

Your ISP assigns your public IP address (aka the WAN side of your router) and also gives it a Lease -- a period of time in which you keep that address. Thereafter, your router is subject to a Release/Renew cycle and usually this is seamless. To see all this, you login to the router, find the WAN side settings, and you can verify the Start / End of the lease period. Common leases are 6,12 & 24 hrs.

(While you are there, set the MTU to 1492 to avoid packet fragmentation issues - - be sure to save the change).

Release/Renew issues are most common with WiFi, but wired devices are also exposed to the issue. Find your Make/Model of the wired adaptor and download the newest driver for it. DO NOT RELY UPON MS UPDATE. Go to the vendor's website, locate the support/firmware/download section and fetch the correct {32,64}bit driver for your system.

Your ISP assigns your public IP address (aka the WAN side of your router) and also gives it a Lease -- a period of time in which you keep that address. Thereafter, your router is subject to a Release/Renew cycle and usually this is seamless. To see all this, you login to the router, find the WAN side settings, and you can verify the Start / End of the lease period. Common leases are 6,12 & 24 hrs.

(While you are there, set the MTU to 1492 to avoid packet fragmentation issues - - be sure to save the change).

Release/Renew issues are most common with WiFi, but wired devices are also exposed to the issue. Find your Make/Model of the wired adaptor and download the newest driver for it. DO NOT RELY UPON MS UPDATE. Go to the vendor's website, locate the support/firmware/download section and fetch the correct {32,64}bit driver for your system.

Thanks for the reply Jobeard.

I am using a linksys WRT1900AC router. The current client lease time is set to 1440m (24hrs).

I also set the MTU to 1492. (was on auto before)

No other wired computer on my network experiences this. (my roommate also mines with his rig without any hiccups, he is connect with LAN to the same router)

I have downloaded & installed the latest win 10 64bit Intel LAN driver as well from ASocks website(installed last weekend). It hasn't fixed the issue.

My ipconfig/all results for the system when it couldn't reconnect LAN this morning is below:
(system was disconnected appx halfway into the 24hr lease time)
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ehsan-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hitronhub.home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hitronhub.home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D0-50-99-82-4F-F6
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d5ee:fe72:6bbf:3f17%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.248(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 02, 2018 7:09:49 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 7:09:49 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 181424281
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

I'll update my motherboard BIOS to the latest version later today after work.

Have you tried backtracking 1 component at a time yet? The only other time I have seen this was on a motherboard not properly installed on standoffs and grounding incorrectly.

Your ipconfig during failure is typical as the router lan-config is stable.

If your roommate is immune from the symptom and connected to your router - - hmm, 'tis a puzzler. I would have suspected the router itself. Monitor your status after the MTU change ---

It got disconnected about 12 hours in.

Ended up running windows update and it actually looked to have done somethings....
upload_2018-1-3_23-42-2.png
I will update if it disconnects again.

I have tried updating the BIOS, downloading latest driver from Intel & Asrock website, setting up static IP, setting up DHCP reservation on the router, MTU change, windows update, windows power settings set to max performance.... all with no luck.

My LAN connect has still been disconnecting over the past week every 1 to 30hrs. I have only been able to reconnect through a system restart. NO luck with the windows troubleshooter, disabling/enabling the adapter...

The only thing I can think of doing is going for a fresh windows install. I'll report back if that ends up fixing it.. otherwise I think I'll have to commit to a USB wireless adapter since I'm losing valuable mining time.

I have only been able to reconnect through a system restart.
This is a major clue that you are failing to reconnect during a release/renew cycle at the end of the lease.

[edit] reinstalling to only repeat the original symptom will be a major tragedy[edit/]

Hi I bought a new combination Modem Router fixed my problem. They do wear out, just like all electrical devises.;)
Let us know how things go!

Hi I bought a new combination Modem Router fixed my problem. They do wear out, just like all electrical devises.;)
Let us know how things go!
Actually, as the entire operations is performed by the firmware which may need updates but never has wear-n-tear, these devices don't wear out. The replacement does ensure however, another version of the firmware when compared to the original. Even though new out of the box, even these should have the latest firmware downloaded as when boxed was way-back compared to when installed and a newer copy of the code is very likely to be needed.

One last question. Is your rig installed in a box or just open air sitting on something? I only ask because of another similar report to this on redit where the motherboard was shorting out on an anti static bag that it was sitting on top of.

Hi! I'm not wanting to turn this in to a discussion about when to change your Router. I was getting disconnected several times a day I bought a high dollar NETGEAR and I no longer have the problem. I can only say what solved the problem for me. It is my understanding from searching, that Routers have a life span of around
5 years. No I'm not a expert on these things. I just believe what I read.;)
https://www.howtogeek.com/243039/why-you-should-upgrade-your-router-even-if-you-have-older-gadgets/
PS I don't just make these things up.:D Here's quote from the link in case you don't have time to read all of the article.
You might have bought the router two years ago, but if the model itself is from 5 or more years ago, there’s a good chance that you’re playing with outdated router tech and could benefit greatly from upgrading. If you’re still using a single radio/band Wireless-G router from 2010 or before, for example, you’re essentially using a bicycle when you could be using a spaceship.

Last edited:
This is a major clue that you are failing to reconnect during a release/renew cycle at the end of the lease.

[edit] reinstalling to only repeat the original symptom will be a major tragedy[edit/]

I agree. Losing connection to router and not being able to establish it until restart is a big reveal. Unfortunately nothing I have read or done has fixed that disconnect. I thought setting up a static IP for the view point of my computer and reserving it on the router for my PC would be the fix.. but that was not the case either.

One last question. Is your rig installed in a box or just open air sitting on something? I only ask because of another similar report to this on reddit where the motherboard was shorting out on an anti static bag that it was sitting on top of.

It has been mounted in an Antec 1200 case for 2 years. The recent hardware change was the addition of a GTX1070Ti and 1080Ti.

@holdum323 My Router is a Linksys WRT1900AC I purchased 3 years ago. It is by far the best router I have ever had. I have had no issues with it on my other system. We use the wifi with our phones with no issues as well.

I purchased a WIFI adapter (WUSB6300) today and am dual connecting to my router (wifi and ethernet). It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I still prefer to have a perm LAN connected tho..

Hi Thanks for your reply. Yes it will be interesting to see what happens with the Wifi adapter.;) Sorry I missed the part about not having any issues with other devises. My bad;) I'm sure you will get the issue solved. It sounds like you know what you're doing! Good luck!

... I bought a high dollar NETGEAR and I no longer have the problem. I can only say what solved the problem for me. It is my understanding from searching, that Routers have a life span of around
5 years. No I'm not a expert on these things. I just believe what I read.
Yes, IMO Netgear is high quality equipment, but I have one that's far beyond your stated 5 years and the other now going on 3 yrs. As stated elsewhere, SOFTWARE does not ware out and as long as new firmware is available, it is possible to run equipment for decades.

OH that was so helpful.

Whether yea or nay, my comment stands on "Software does not wear out".
Wasn't posting to be helpful. I think the OP knows what they are doing and I only commented that the OP stated they would reply latter about their issue. Do you think your statement is world shattering. How does "Software does not wear out" help the OP. Why did you feel the need to post that again. I think we all are aware of your quote. Team work is good!;)(y)

How does "Software does not wear out" help the OP. Why did you feel the need to post that again.
Simple: Money is not required to solve the problem - - just download the newest firmware for free and the problem can be solved.

Which firmware? Both the router and the system {Nic & WiFi} drivers.

PS. I'm thinking the OP stated that other devises were working?? Which I also missed seeing.;)(y)
Have a great day. I can stand the heat. Bring it on!;) I have "Friends in Low Places" They will stand with me.ROFL

Last edited:
Have a great day. I can stand the heat. Bring it on!;)
psst: no body cares.

The issue is solving the OPs issue w/o adverse actions, such as Reinstall or new Purchase.

You were SO CORRECT when you said
  • this is WAY above my pay grade
  • I'm no expert, I just believe what I read

The issue does not happen on other devises. Even a computer illiterate person like myself can understand that. ROFL

Back