Laptop Hard Drive In Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punkid

is it possible to connect a laptop hard drive to a desktop with the IDE cable...the laptop drive i have is inside an external enclosure,which is seen as USB TO IDE BRIDGE in the Device manager of my desktop PC

dont ask why i want to connect the drive to my PC

i figured it out that i cant connect it without adapter...thanks anyway...now heres the problem that ive got, its on my second PC..i have a 40 gb normal desktop IDE HDD and an IDE DVD Rom...i want to install OS on that PC but the problem is that if i connect both the HDD and the DVD ROM at the same time the PC wont boot..ive tried updating bios etc but it doesnt help...so is there a way to boot to a network location?

I may be totally deluded here.. but dont 2.5 inch drives usually have a pata connection?

i figured it out that i cant connect it without adapter...thanks anyway...now heres the problem that ive got, its on my second PC..i have a 40 gb normal desktop IDE HDD and an IDE DVD Rom...i want to install OS on that PC but the problem is that if i connect both the HDD and the DVD ROM at the same time the PC wont boot..ive tried updating bios etc but it doesnt help...so is there a way to boot to a network location?

Do you not have two seperate IDE channels on the motherboard?

Yes you can boot to a network location. It is rather old school, but it will work. I am not sure what OS you are trying to install...You will need a bootdisk (floppy?) and/or a CD boot to start loading the OS over the network, so unless you have a floppy I am not sure how much that is going to help.

i got it figured out ...i used the jumper to make one of my drives slave and now it works...but thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back