Laptop screen dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

radovitch

Hi,
I have a Compaq Evo 610c notebook. The other day I fired it up to discover that the screen remained totally black, no backlighting. I know that it is not the mobo because I can hook it up to an external monitor and everything is fine. I also know that it's not the FN keys. So, before I try to hunt up another screen somewhere I would like to know if there is any other piece of hardware failure that might account for this.
Thanks

Usually, on the Compaq Evo's, the screen inverter goes out. The part is only $15 to $25, but it takes an hour of tech time... so you are looking at $100. 18 screws must be removed, as well as the rubberized screen covers.
The screen inverter is a piece of hardware hidden behind the bottom center section of the screen. It is about the size of a sharpie pen and has a socket into which the screen plugs. It takes the video image which is in negative or reverse image, and converts (inverts) it to a positiive image.
You do not know if the screen is bad, until you test the inverter. The screen costs $180.

Thank you.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Actually the costs are negligible if you're not going for new parts which, on such an old notebook ,I wouldn't be. Except maybe the inverter if it proves to be that. I've seen several screens on various 2nd hand sites including Ebay, all for under 30 bucks. Yes, I know the risks but it wouldn't be the first time I've bought spare computer parts that way and I've yet to regret it. OK, so there was that one too-good-to-be-true motherboard but we won't go into that.
As for letting a tech do it, well, with a good manual in one hand and the right screwdriver in the other... That and a little googling is how I learned to build my first PC. Though this will be my my first foray into laptop repairing.

If you are good enough to replace the screen, replacing the inverter instead would be cheap. Look on eBay for a NEW inverter for that model series. You DO NOT want a used one.
Then sit down some sunday evening and replace it. It will take about an hour to 1 1/2 hours depending on how good you are with a #1 and #2 philips.
Cost, if you do it, $15 + eBay shipping

Thanks again.
I have one last question. I've just been offered a screen from a friend who has an old Evo N600c. Is this compatible with the 610c? Cause if it is it would save me having to open up the whole thing just for the inverter.

And you would connect to it by the video graphics port on the back of your machine?
it should work fine. Resolution will be a question until you try it, but it should work up to 1028 X 768.

raybay said:
And you would connect to it by the video graphics port on the back of your machine?.

I was a bit puzzled by the above line as, at first sight, the screen of the n600c appears to be identical to the n610 so I thought it was just a question of removing the latter and connecting the former. However, once I'd removed both screens and compared them I found that the video cable on the n600 is on the opposite side of the screen to the 610 making the connection impossible. But the inverters on both are identical and that fixed the problem.
Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back