Laptop screen goes black randomly

BakaRed77

I own a Gateway MD2614u and it has been true to me for the last 2 years, but now it has a little problem. The screen turns black and will not come back on unless I hold down the button and restart the computer. It is not the backlight on the screen and it is not the screen itself. I hooked an external monitor to it to confirm and it made that screen black as well. I was using Windows 7 Ultimate X64 on the machine however I reverted it back to Vista Home Premium X64. The problem reoccured even with its intended operating system. Does anyone have any ideas what the cause of the problem is? I don't believe it is the cable or the monitor.

It may be that the GPU is overheating or failing. Try running something like FurMark to stress the GPU. If that causes it to go back quickly, there's a good chance that the GPU is the problem. For most laptops, this is not something you can fix short of replacing the entire motherboard.

Re:

I have already tested my gpu using Burn in Test. I also found I can push in a certain spot on my laptop and the screen will sometimes come back on. Yet I have taken the computer apart and reseated the connection. I suppose I shall take another look. Anymore ideas?

Back