Laptop wont accept new ram sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a alienware Aurora M9700, capable of having 2GB of ram but when I put in 2x1GB ram sticks it wont boot up, is this a bio problem? Cause I tried 2 different brand of 1GB ram sticks and it wont work, I know the specs are correct cause they use PC3200 DDR 400 SODIMM Non-ECC 200 pin ram. I tried using 1 old ram stick and 1 new one, but the bio still shows the old ram memory of 1GB and BSoD me when I get to windows screen. Please help.

With your old ram in, google and get everest and use that to check exaclty what your current ram is.

Field Value
Memory Module Properties
Module Name Patriot Memory
Serial Number None
Module Size 512 MB (1 rank, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings
@ 200 MHz 3.0-4-4-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 12-14-2 (RC-RFC-RRD)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 10-12-2 (RC-RFC-RRD)

Yep that does, copy directed from Everest, though I'm positive that PC3200 are 400MHz and I checked with AW techs and they said it's 400MHz too, and it's not even SDRAM, it's SODIMM.
PCMark also shows it runs on a 400MHz freq.

I think its a problem with the BIOS, I think Alienware locked it to only accept their ram sticks.

Tech's for most computer companies don't really know anything about the computer. They look it up on their site and see what they can find. Try a 200 MHz one and see what happens.

Well, the old ones are 400MHz so I dont see if that should be the the problem. I think it might be that Alienware locked their BIOS to accept only certain rams from certain companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back