Large storage 'server' build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to 'server' builds but need to create a system that will be able to record 20 HD video streams @ 25fps. I have created 2x specs for the machine and could do with a few bits of advice:

a) Will this motherboard/CPU handle it?: Intel DX58SO ATX Desktop Motherboard, Intel® Core™ i7-610E Processor (4M Cache, 2.53 GHz).

b) My Chassis has 16 x 3.5" Drive bays in blocks of 4 (1 connection per row of 4 HD's). I obviously need some sort of HD controller to write to the 16 2TB drives i'm going to house. My NVR software allows me to prioritise which HD i write to in which order (1-16) as long as it can see the HD's. I don't want it mirrored in RAID or anything but i guess i will need a RAID controller of some type to connect and view the drives. Any ideas if or how or what i can get to do this without setting it to a particular RAID?

Your suggestions on this build will be great even if they go beyond the initial question, i'm pretty novice.

Thanks,

Rob

Server OS which one? Windows or Linux? If you use Windows Server 2008 Enterprise it supports Multi-core. Are you getting real server blade or server or workstation?

Using a RAID controller w/o a raid setup will create JBOD (just a bunch of disks)
which operates just like Windows Dynamic disks; each disk becomes the locical extension of the previous,
meaning only when HD#! is full wild HD#2 receive data, .... all the way to HD#16.

poor performance and bad storage efficiency.

Mass storage is nicely handled with a SCSI ii card and a chain of 0-16 devices.

With SCSI, we normally access a /volumeName (OS X, Linux), but I've not seen how Windows maps SCSI devices (but it does :) )

record 20 HD video streams
so am I to assume all 20 are streaming at the same time?

mapping one stream to one SCSI:x device would be easy enough and the controller will
support asycronous i/o to allow all 20 to write concurrently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back