Latest Steam survey shows gains all around for Ampere, Windows 11 cuts into predecessor's...

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: It’s the start of a new month, and that means an updated Steam Survey. November saw AMD continue its trend of slowly chipping away at Intel’s processor lead. And while the number of people buying new graphics cards remains low, understandably, every one of the Ampere line experienced slight gains. It was also a very good month for Windows 11.

In the CPU category, AMD continued to increase its user share. The total number of red processors in survey participants’ computers rose to 31.53% last month, marking a jump of +0.69%, which coincidentally is the same increase we saw between September and October. AMD will no doubt be pleased, especially as Alder Lake launched on November 4, but will the full impact of Intel’s latest chips be felt in December’s results?

Moving onto GPUs, there was little change at the top of the chart as the GTX 1060 keeps the top spot it will have occupied for three years as of next month—the last number one card was the GTX 750 Ti. However, the GTX 1650 is catching up thanks to a +0.16% increase.

November's survey was another excellent showing for Ampere. All of Nvidia’s most recent cards saw their user shares increase—the RTX 3060 Laptop GPU was the month’s top-performer with +0.41%—even the expensive and elusive RTX 3090 went up slightly (+0.01%). It seems that despite their price and availability issues, people are still managing to buy the latest graphics cards.

As for AMD, the Radeon RX 6700 XT (0.20%) remains the only RDNA 2 card with enough share to be included in the main chart. But the Vulkan Systems section shows both the Radeon RX 6900 XT and Radeon RX 6800 XT experiencing small gains, so they could soon reach the required 0.15% to enter the GPU section, assuming the reported price increase doesn't impact sales even more.

Elsewhere, Windows 10 experienced a large drop as over 6% of participants moved to Windows 11. Microsoft’s latest OS now has an 8.28% share, having entered the survey only last month with 1.82%. The figures line up with a report from November showing that around 5% of PC users were running Windows 11.

Permalink to story.

People this year have acted like quacks. Paying more than 1500 euros for a $500 card. Also saying that only paying 1150 euro for the same card is "a good deal".

GPU graphs is what's most interesting: the biggest story is how old all those cards are due to both Nvidia and AMD being both unwilling and unable to dedicate some allocation to lower end offerings.

My revised guess is that most games coming out on 2022 will need to start having more extensive and detailed options for low end settings: just having an option to turn everything off is probably not going to be good enough as hardware seems to be greatly stagnated.

It also means stuff like Ray Tracing and DLSS 2.X are becoming even more meaningless: even if they're good features there's just 1 card on the top 5 that can actually use it.

GPU graphs is what's most interesting: the biggest story is how old all those cards are due to both Nvidia and AMD being both unwilling and unable to dedicate some allocation to lower end offerings.

My revised guess is that most games coming out on 2022 will need to start having more extensive and detailed options for low end settings: just having an option to turn everything off is probably not going to be good enough as hardware seems to be greatly stagnated.

It also means stuff like Ray Tracing and DLSS 2.X are becoming even more meaningless: even if they're good features there's just 1 card on the top 5 that can actually use it.

You are actually right... I find it rare to aggree with you most of the time but this is the sad reality. Personally I consider dlss the best thing we had in a long time, but ray tracing? Anything under Metro Exodus Enhanced edition with full ray traced GI is not ray tracing game for me (Maybe control and cyberpunk) but BF 2042 "ray tracing" is practically a joke.

What suprises me is that more people having RTX 3070 than RX 580. I Know most of the radeon are sweating in mining parks but still... 3070 cost around first car money here in my country

So Ryzen share is going up because it’s a good product that competes well with Intels CPUs and is absolutely worth buying. But Radeon share is tiny because it’s a dreadful gaming product and gamers don’t want it. Looking at the data the 3090 on it’s own has outsold the entire 6000 series. At least in any rig that has steam installed (and no Internet cafes are buying 3090s so the fanboys can’t blame it on that).

We desperately need some actual competition for Nvidia. If we don’t get it, their prices won’t come down even when the chip shortages end.

The steam marketshare should not be treated as gospel. What about the many gaming cafes or other uses that use a large number of cards that arent actual single people owning single cards.

As usual, Steam survey is badly flawed. Today's highlights:

AMD's most popular cards:

AMD Radeon RX 580
AMD Radeon RX 570
AMD Radeon Graphics (WTF is this one?)
AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (most popular IGP. Some said AMD had supply issues but this IGP is more popular than any Intel IGP...)
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
AMD Radeon HD 8800 Series (again, this rebrand from around 2012)

Now let's look at Nvidia's market share on DirectX 11 GPUs:

Well, there is nothing to list. AMD and Intel have at least 98.51% share of DirectX 11 GPU market.

So Ryzen share is going up because it’s a good product that competes well with Intels CPUs and is absolutely worth buying. But Radeon share is tiny because it’s a dreadful gaming product and gamers don’t want it. Looking at the data the 3090 on it’s own has outsold the entire 6000 series. At least in any rig that has steam installed (and no Internet cafes are buying 3090s so the fanboys can’t blame it on that).

We desperately need some actual competition for Nvidia. If we don’t get it, their prices won’t come down even when the chip shortages end.
Naw it's not there isn't competition, it's kind of the reality, people buy what is the most powerful at their price point with the best features and support, AMD still has and needs to build good will with prosumers and consumers alike that it is a good choice again and viable just like with what they did with Ryzen, it is going to take time that is all. Yeah though I personally find it hilarious alot of the GPU and fanboys either make excuse and bought not so good products or they buy NVidia and just yell in forums not letting people know what they are using.

Currently AMD and Nvidia basically sell all GPUs they produce, both are doing extremely well. Even the Radeon generations before RDNA1 went to miners. Generally Nvidia may sell more, but this is likely due to mindshare and retailers highlighting their products better (which is part of the mindshare). If availability would be normal, this generation would be one of the tightest rounds in competition between these companies. Next generation may not be as even since Nvidia will likely get a long head start.

EDIT. clarification

Last edited:
AMD and Nvidia basically sell all GPUs they produce, both are doing extremely well. Even the Radeon generations before RDNA1 went to miners. Nvidia may sell more, but this is likely due to mindshare and retailers highlighting their products better (which is part of the mindshare). If availability would be normal, this generation would be one of the tightest rounds in competition between these companies. Next generation may be different since Nvidia will likely get a long head start.
Idk about that, for some reason sales never really translate to AMD market share on steam, I know why when it comes to older generations , AMD had a merged FP arch which lead to cards having greater compute which lead to gaming cards either going into cheaper workstations or hybrid uses, NVidia made that mistake once with the 9800GX2 afterwords it never really happened again due to them losing revenue with I believe Tesla workstation compute cards, Now it's a bit weirder as NVidia added workstation cores to gaming cards but created a useful ecosystem around it involving RTX and Ray tracing as well as DLSS. So it's not that AMD doesn't sell the cards it's just not used for gaming purposes to the degree NVidia cards were, now things have changed so In a few years we have to see how it shakes out number wise as things don't just flip like a light switch.

Naw it's not there isn't competition, it's kind of the reality, people buy what is the most powerful at their price point with the best features and support, AMD still has and needs to build good will with prosumers and consumers alike that it is a good choice again and viable just like with what they did with Ryzen, it is going to take time that is all. Yeah though I personally find it hilarious alot of the GPU and fanboys either make excuse and bought not so good products or they buy NVidia and just yell in forums not letting people know what they are using.
AMD have let a lot of people down in the past. I suffered the black screen bug (among many other bugs) and that was so infuriating. AMD are the only company whose products have reduced me to blind rage and it’s happened a few times over my years of owning and using Radeon (Also FX - Piledriver but I’ve had no issues with Ryzen). People remember bad experiences much more than they remember good ones. Currently my Radeon cards are far more “memorable” than my Nvidia cards.

Radeon could be a viable, worthy product but it Needs a massive overhaul. It will take years to rebuild Radeons broken reputation. And so far I have seen no signs that AMD have made any changes. All they seem to have changed is that the price and performance of their solutions have gone up. The value has gone down and they have no extras or features to give users. They killed the only thing that made them viable and that was always having a good low cost option.

People who claim Radeon is competitive are lying. They usually sell cheaper than Nvidia cards yet still their market share shrinks. This isn’t an opinion, Radeons can’t even sell at a lower price and it’s supposed to be a luxury item with a high price elasticity. Right now I can buy a 6900XT for £1200, delivered within 48 hours. An RTX 3080 will cost me £1400 and there’s a two week wait. Technically the 6900XT is a higher class of card which performs faster. But buyers know it’s not that straightforward.

The steam marketshare should not be treated as gospel. What about the many gaming cafes or other uses that use a large number of cards that arent actual single people owning single cards.
Gaming cafes don’t break the data. The survey is conducted to inform steam what hardware it’s users are using to play steam games. If 10 different people log into and use steam on the same hardware then it should be recorded as 10 users who use that hardware, it’s a survey of the users.

The problem is people confuse this for a survey of market share or sales. It’s a good indicator of both but it’s not designed for that. Looking at the sample size and the consistency of the results of the survey over time it’s credible. There are clear and obvious trends that can be reflected with other data. Take Ryzen, market share has gone up a lot for it and sure, some will be gaming cafes but mostly it’s single users buying the product because it’s a decent product.

That is pure nonsense.

Leaving this here:

That is pure nonsense.

Leaving this here:
No it’s fact actually. That one YouTubers comments means nothing. Radeon is a trash product and everyone knows it. If you don’t buy a Radeon card, youl find out eventually. This is why they have a pathetically tiny market share. It’s not hard mate..

No it’s fact actually. That one YouTubers comments means nothing. Radeon is a trash product and everyone knows it. If you don’t buy a Radeon card, youl find out eventually. This is why they have a pathetically tiny market share. It’s not hard mate..
Someone with ACTUAL experience with a recent Radeon product, instead of fanboys talking out of their sitting cheeks online, has a good experience with a Radeon product.

Dismissing other perspectives without any argument just because it doesn't conform to your preconceived biases does not add to your credibility.

Besides, what everyone believes does not make it true.

Someone with ACTUAL experience with a recent Radeon product, instead of fanboys talking out of their sitting cheeks online, has a good experience with a Radeon product.

Dismissing other perspectives without any argument just because it doesn't conform to your preconceived biases does not add to your credibility.

Besides, what everyone believes does not make it true.
That would be me, 18 months ago I switched to Nvidia after 8 years of Radeon cards.

It was owning these Radeon parts that has turned me “biased”. But my bias is based on the hard fact that Radeon is a heap of garbage.

I don’t care if you disagree, most people believe Radeon is garbage, that’s why their market share is laughably tiny and getting smaller, because it’s just a crap product.

That would be me, 18 months ago I switched to Nvidia after 8 years of Radeon cards.

It was owning these Radeon parts that has turned me “biased”. But my bias is based on the hard fact that Radeon is a heap of garbage.

I don’t care if you disagree, most people believe Radeon is garbage, that’s why their market share is laughably tiny and getting smaller, because it’s just a crap product.
Source? No, Steam Survey is NOT any indication of market share.

Source? No, Steam Survey is NOT any indication of market share.
Yeah I’m not having this conversation with you again. Your knowledge is laughably poor. All you do and have ever done is shill hard for AMD no matter what, it’s desperate and pathetic.

The survey is a good representation of market share. At least it’s a good indicator that people don’t like Radeon cards and unless you can show alternative data then you have no leg to stand on. And you can never come up with anything. The fact is the survey is consistent within itself for us to be able to say the data is reliable enough.

But we’ve been here before and I can’t be bothered to waste my time on the lowest common denominators on this forum so you’re blocked. I will not be able to read any further comments you make.

Yeah I’m not having this conversation with you again. Your knowledge is laughably poor. All you do and have ever done is shill hard for AMD no matter what, it’s desperate and pathetic.

The survey is a good representation of market share. At least it’s a good indicator that people don’t like Radeon cards and unless you can show alternative data then you have no leg to stand on. And you can never come up with anything. The fact is the survey is consistent within itself for us to be able to say the data is reliable enough.

But we’ve been here before and I can’t be bothered to waste my time on the lowest common denominators on this forum so you’re blocked. I will not be able to read any further comments you make.
Lmao is hardreset still flogging the dead horse that the steam survey can’t be trusted because it shows that people don’t like to buy Radeon. Yeah I blocked him months ago, the dude is just a fanboy who hasn’t got a scooby of what’s going on.

Knowledge? Still waiting for your proof that FX-8350 is quad core CPU.
(invalid) Steam user stats are totally different thing than market share.

What is consistent with itself? Because it's bugged as hell and shows Nvidia on good light it's good? No matter if there are no better data, it still doesn't make Steam data good.
Again, one fanboy lost to me :joy:, congratulations. All you can do is ignore since that's all you really can do when losing every single conversation.
Lmao is hardreset still flogging the dead horse that the steam survey can’t be trusted because it shows that people don’t like to buy Radeon. Yeah I blocked him months ago, the dude is just a fanboy who hasn’t got a scooby of what’s going on.
Anyone who have brains can easily locate anomalies on Steam data. Not any harder than that.

Yeah I don't believe you. I can also claim that I switched to Radeon from nVidia and that nVidia is crap. You've been spouting the same nonsense for years. So go lie to someone else.

What most people believe is irrelevant to whether something is actually true or not. Most people still believe that going outside with wet hair can let you get a cold, but that's blatantly false.
The whole idea that Radeon is garbage is a narrative constantly pushed by nVidia fanboys, because they are more busy bragging about their graphics cards than actually using them. Can't allow anything to become a threat to what they're bragging about...

All hail nvidia!

Back