Latest Windows 10 update causes system slowdowns, crashes, more

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: At this point, it would be weird if a Windows 10 update didn’t cause major issues, so this shouldn’t come as a surprise. The latest cumulative update has resulted in performance slowdown, boot failures, and a host of other problems for some users.

Released on March 12, the KB4551762 update comes after a security vulnerability in SMBv3 was prematurely leaked online. Microsoft says the latest release "updates a Microsoft Server Message Block 3.1.1 protocol issue that provides shared access to files and printers."

Windows Latest reports that while KB4551762 is an important update that includes all fixes from the previous releases, it’s yet another Microsoft update that can cause more problems than it corrects.

According to user comments on Microsoft’s forums, Feedback Hub, and Reddit, the update has resulted in system crashes, including a black screen with “spinning circles/dots.” There have also been incidents of the update failing to install, massive system slowdowns, BSOD, audio problems, apps not starting, and more. Most people have fixed the issues by simply uninstalling the patch.

While the worst problems seem only to be affecting a smaller number of users, the installation issues are more widespread.

Microsoft is no stranger to releasing updates that cause problems. We’ve seen patches that don’t work, plenty that break something else, and fixes to correct previous fixes.

Despite the operating system’s problems, Windows 10 has finally reached Microsoft’s goal of running on one billion devices, although it missed the original forecast by about 20 months.

Permalink to story.

Well I've had no problem with my Windows 10 update, but why do Microsoft not realise that there's a problem with touchscreen devices and OSKs, over a year and still no fix ...sigh

This installed on 3/12 and no problems on my system but a friend had an issue where his printer took FOREVER to spool after the update. Luckily a uninstall\reinstall of the drivers fixed it though.

I still have to reboot my computer EVERY TIME after sleep due to audio crackle. I swear W10 worked a lot better 3 years ago. No issues for my uses. Now, every update produces 1.3 issues for every thing it fixes.

At this point, I wouldn't mind if PC gaming just moved to a new OS.

READ: Microsoft does something -> people complain.

If you don't like Microsoft or Windows, don't use it. no one is holding you to ransom over it.

Honestly, you just used "M$" and altered another poster's statement.
2 more reasons to not consider anything you have to say.
So, you don't think I gave "M$" the "respect" it deserves.

Basically "M$", is a backroom, boys club, conspiratical monopoly. Adobe is on board, as they won't port their programs to anything other the Windows, or Apple products. Both Intel and AMD are on board, since, "their newest processors will only be fully compatible with Windows 10".

So, when somebody comes in trumpeting, "you don't like Windows, use something else", they probably deserve a dose of reality.

I frankly don't care whether you give any credibility to what I say, and offer you the same "courtesy" in return.

Usually, the people objecting most strenuously to the meme, "M$", are nothing but "M$" shills or fanboys.

And BTW, I've endured going on 14 years of them.- Somehow, I think you imagine that "elite" below your name gives you leave to talk down to other members. Trust me, it doesn't

Last edited:

Basically "M$", is a backroom, boys club, conspiratical monopoly. Adobe is on board, as they won't port their programs to anything other the Windows, or Apple products. Both Intel and AMD are on board, since, "their newest processors will only be compatible with Windows 10".

So, when somebody comes in trumpeting, "you don't like Windows, use something else", they probably deserve a dose of reality.

I frankly don't care whether you give any credibility to what I say, and offer you the same "courtesy" in return.

Usually, the people objecting most strenuously to the meme, "M$", are nothing but "M$" shills or fanboys.

And BTW, I've endured going on 14 years on them.- Somehow, I think you imagine that "elite" below your name gives you leave to talk down to other members. Trust me, it doesn't

A boy's club......run by a woman? Riiiiiiight. Processor makers have zero control over what operating system their hardware is or is not compatible with, lol. The only issue is whether alternate OS developers include the proper coding. That statement alone shows that you know NOTHING about computers or how they work.

Windows isn't mandatory and neither is Adobe. Get a clue. Windows isn't the most popular because they're the best, or because of some conspiracy behind the scenes... they're the most popular because they made the right decisions at the right times and their OS is the most hardware-compatible OS in existence to this day. In accomplishing that, that creates a whole new host of issues. I personally have zero issues from any of their updates and actually have never had a single issue with any of their updates in the over 20 years I've been dealing with them.

I work in the IT field, and almost every single time (read not always) there is an issue with a Windows update, it is because of outdated hardware and drivers...or badly developed apps. Windows is far from perfect, often times it is infuriating, but it's nowhere near the devil you would have us believe it to be.

woo feel the burn @captaincranky

Lol
Caution, snot spray in progress, maintain a minimum social distancing of at least six feet:

I love Microsoft! I don'tr care how much they screw up my PC, I'm on board with Windows 10 for life. Nobody can task bad about my adopted company. Sometimes I go to Redmond sometimes and sniff the lunch wrappers the employees throw in the trash. I'm a fanboy for life. Microsoft can do no wrong. I go to church each and every Sunday and pray for their eternal success.

A boy's club......run by a woman? Riiiiiiight. Processor makers have zero control over what operating system their hardware is or is not compatible with, lol. The only issue is whether alternate OS developers include the proper coding. That statement alone shows that you know NOTHING about computers or how they work.

Windows isn't mandatory and neither is Adobe. Get a clue. Windows isn't the most popular because they're the best, or because of some conspiracy behind the scenes... they're the most popular because they made the right decisions at the right times and their OS is the most hardware-compatible OS in existence to this day. In accomplishing that, that creates a whole new host of issues. I personally have zero issues from any of their updates and actually have never had a single issue with any of their updates in the over 20 years I've been dealing with them.

I work in the IT field, and almost every single time (read not always) there is an issue with a Windows update, it is because of outdated hardware and drivers...or badly developed apps. Windows is far from perfect, often times it is infuriating, but it's nowhere near the devil you would have us believe it to be.
I don't think you been paying attention to press releases from Intel or AMD. Board manufacturers have had to devise work arounds to install an OS other than Windows 10.

How about if I just defer to how special you are , since you've never had any problems with Windows updates or tracking,, and we call everybody who has "know nothings".

That's convenient for you isn't?

BTW, Adobe follows the money,and couldn't be bothered to port their programs to Linux.

So, since you're so knowledgeable, why don't you tell us which other OS we should embrace. Or what image editing program. I've tried GIMP, and it's a piece of sh!t.

I opened it up, found it didn't afford adjustment layers, and went right back to Photoshop and PSE, (on Windows 7).

Last edited:

Basically "M$", is a backroom, boys club, conspiratical monopoly. Adobe is on board, as they won't port their programs to anything other the Windows, or Apple products. Both Intel and AMD are on board, since, "their newest processors will only be fully BLACKMOOR"S NIGHTcompatible with Windows 10".

And BTW, I've endured going on 14 years of them.- Somehow, I think you imagine that "elite" below your name gives you leave to talk down to other members. Trust me, it doesn't

Or, its people like me who have been seeing "M$" since the mid-'90s and find it boorish, unfunny, pretentious and overall just lazy. I can assure you nobody is impressed. And enduring 14 years of Microsoft doesn't impress me. I have been using DOS\Windows since the 80s through the bad and the good.

No, I don't hate Microsoft but I sure as hell don't love them either. I am however appreciative of what they have done for the PC and don't mind cutting them some slack.

EDIT:
That "Elite" below my name only shows that I appreciate the work of Techspot and what they are doing.

Last edited:
Back