LCD screen is staying blank after Windows XP splash screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peggypwr1

Hello, I started my desktop this morning, the BIOS info showed up on my LCD monitor, then the Windows XP Splash screen, but after the splash screen, the monitor stays blank? Why is this?

My monitor is a 19" Benq and my motherboard a ECS 6100 w/ built in Nvidia GPU.

The monitor cannot be broken if the spash screen and BIOS showed up?

I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue. I also tried booting in safe mode but it will not.

The BIOS sees my primary HDD and DVD drive, so I think they're ok.

NOTE: Last night the computer did not shut down properly. It kepy saying "windows is shutting down", but nothing happened after 10 min, so I just turned it off.

The O/S is Windows XP SP2.
Motherboard is ECS 6100 w/ onboard video by Nvidia
PSU: 380 watts (about 1 year old)

Try repeatively pressing F8 at Startup to see the Startup options menu

Then try Last Known Good Configuration

Hello, I tried the lask known config and it did not work. I am stumped, I have no idea what is causing this.

Ok try repeatively pressing f8 at startup to see the startup options menu, again

Then go to safe mode
Once logged onto the administrator account in safe mode
Go to control panel
Open system
Click on hardware tab
Click on device manager button
Expand the + sign on display adaptors
Right click on your adaptor (under the display adaptors heading)
Select uninstall (yes)
Apply Ok Restart

Allow Windows to reload your display adaptor automatically
Otherwise you may need to locate the driver for your video card
If you would like more information on how to do this:
Please update your system specs in your profile
Under mobo write in your computer name and model number, also make sure you put in your windows version
From doing this, support personnal can also help with future posts by you.

I am having an issue with my posts formatting
If you receive an unreadable post, from me, just refresh the screen after 5 mins (as I try to correct it)

dscf4356lw6.jpg

Arr the old Mup.sys error

Just at the point of load at Mup.sys (whilst going again to Safe Mode)

Repeatively press ESC on the keyboard (this option can work on 50% of computers with Mup.sys lockup)

If you do get into Safe Mode Backup your data from in there - ideally USB flash drive

As the real issue is that you may be doing a Repair of Windows!

Well I did a repair install and still the same problem. After WIndows finshed installing the files and rebooting, the same thing happened.

This is so frustrating.

I have an old 30 gig HDD. Can I make my 30 gig the primary and my 320 gig the slave. Reformat my 30 gig, reinstall windows, then transfer files from my 320 to my external HDD via Windows Explorer. Right now, I have no idea.

Is my momb crapping out, my PSU? I dont know. I bought these components at the same stime less than a year ago.

Sorry for the delay, but I suppose keep checking as you go along.

Anyway,

The 30Gig - only issue is sometimes they can slow your system, being old. It is preferred to install on a newer (or new) drive. If you have Sata on board, get one with Sata connection, if not it's ATA.

Also, what you've said will work, and is a good idea, although again I prefer the better C drive.

Your hardware parts, Mup.sys can refer to the video (among other things) so if you have a removable (AGP?) Video card, maybe try to remove that first (assuming onboard video connector is there)

If you're really going to update things, yes I'd go for the Power Supply (even though I don't know what you have - if it's stock standard it probably needs updating.

My plan is once I get the files from my 320 transffered to the external HDD. I will then make the 320 gig the master and reformat it again and start over.

You have any idea how to transer Mozzilla/firefox bookmarks?

The good news is I can see my 320 gig as drive D (slave drive) in windows explorer. This sounds far fetched, but is there any way I can uninstall the nvida drivers from my drive D?

The bookmarks - just search for "bookmark"

The 320Gig C drive idea- well done!

The nVidia remove - well yes, and no

It is possible to remove certain drivers from loading, the easiest way is to just rename them to filename.old (filename refers to the name of the file)

I noticed that one of your drivers loading was nvata.sys (I've never actually tried stopping this (through rename), and checking if Windows still boots (But it's worth a go).

Edit: Actually, you could also (or even firstly try) ndis.sys (seeming on how that was the last file to load before Windows locks on boot)

It is also possible to edit the registry (the real bootup issue) but way too hard to explain.

Anyway, please let me know.

peggypwr1 said:
The good news is I can see my 320 gig as drive D (slave drive) in windows explorer. This sounds far fetched, but is there any way I can uninstall the nvida drivers from my drive D?

and in prior post peggypwr1 said:
<quote>
I have an old 30 gig HDD. Can I make my 30 gig the primary and my 320 gig the slave. Reformat my 30 gig, reinstall windows, then transfer files from my 320 to my external HDD via Windows Explorer. Right now, I have no idea.
Is my momb crapping out, my PSU? I dont know. I bought these components at the same stime less than a year ago.
<end quote>

So appears peggypwr1 is currently + succedssfully booting from temporary 30GB HDD with fresh Windows install, and can see 320GB @ D-drive. So ATM I would conclude:
1) No bad mobo, power supply, video card, RAM etc. hardware-wise, except maybe 320GB HDD is failing OR critical file(s) necessary for bootup on 320GB drive are bad.
2) peggypwr1 already did a Windows in-place repair install on 320GB HDD, however that didn't fix 320GB bootup problem - so most likely crritical Windows files needed for bootup on 320GB are OK (ie, are not the problem);
3) what next? I recommend, in this order, while booted from 30GB C: drive:
a) As recommended previuosly several times by others, download and run the hard drive manufacturer's disk checking software! It should detect any serious drive disk/controller problems that warrant an return/exchange/replacement. If it passes, continue;
b) When booted from 30GB drive, delete D;\pagefile.sys (later when attempting to boot from that 320BG drive, Windows will create a new pagefile.sys on the root of that drive);
c) Start> Run, type "cmd". In the command window that opens type "chkdsk d: /R /V" ->Enter. Watch for (& jot down if you can in) path+filename of any files reported as bad/fixed. (When chkdsk is done, you can scroll up in the command window to write down bad/fixed file info). Report back here any bad/fixed path+filename(s);
d) While command window still open, type "defrag d: -f -v" ->Enter. When defragementation process is done, type "exit" ->Enter in command window, to close that window;
e) Start> Search > for Files & folders, ensure option to include hidden/system files is checked, in All or part of name: field type "nv*.*, choose Look in: ONLY D: drive to be searched (ie NOT "C:" and NOT "Local Hard Drives (C:,D)", click Search button. That search should show various nVidia video driver files, Delete them - CAUTION: If your motherboard has nVidia chipset, do NOT delete.
4) Start>Shutdown>Restart, on black&white boot selection screen choose 2- Windows on D drive, ->Enter and IMMEDIATELY press and hold F8, select Safe Mode. When in Safe Mode on drive D, Start> Settings> Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs, select nVidia Video Drivers. When that finishes, Shutdown> Restart, on boot selection screen again choose 2-Windows on D drive. Windows on 320GB HDD should detect your video as New Hardware, install drivers for it - NOTE: you may have to install video drivers from your 320GB hard drive. Then reboot again onto D drive, and Report back here if it now works or not (if latter, what does do now?).

Apologies to peggypwr1 if these steps are overly presciptive, never know how knowlegable people are when trying to identify & fix problems.

Fingers X'd.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back