Leak claims Galaxy S10 will have four variants, including a 5G model with 12GB of RAM

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Samsung’s last few handsets haven’t been hugely different from their predecessors, with most offering just incremental upgrades, but that could change with the Galaxy S10. In addition to all the rumored new technology, Samsung’s next flagship may come in four variants, one of which is rumored to support 5G and pack a massive 12GB of RAM.

The rumor's source is an alleged memo from GF Securities brokerage that leaked on Chinese social media site Weibo. It includes a table showing four versions of the Galaxy S10: a base version with 4GB of RAM and a 5.8-inch screen, which could be an ‘budget’ option similar to Apple’s iPhone XR; a larger 6.3-inch S10 Plus model with 6GB; what’s presumed to be a more advanced Galaxy S10 X model with 8GB; and finally the Galaxy S10 X 5G, which comes with 12GB of RAM. Note that the ‘X’ name could just be a placeholder.

Like all leaks and rumors, this one should be taken with a pinch of salt. However, Xiaomi’s Mi Mix 3 and Black Shark 2 both feature 10GB of RAM, as does an in-development version of Oppo’s Find X, so 12GB doesn’t seem too far-fetched. According to the table, Huawei is reportedly set to include the same amount of memory in its P30 Pro.

The 5G support is interesting, especially as Samsung said the S10 wouldn’t be the first of its devices to come with 5G. Perhaps another phone, possibly the foldable Galaxy X, will have that honor.

Samsung mobile head DJ Koh has said the Galaxy S10 would feature “very significant” changes to the phone’s design. An in-display fingerprint reader is expected, and other rumors say it may even pack graphene batteries. While 12GB of RAM might not have many practical applications on a smartphone, Samsung will likely be happy to claim the “world’s first” title.

Permalink to story.

WOW. A whopping 12GB of RAM?!? AMAZING!!!

Wait, what do I need it for again? Watching youtube? no. Facebook? nope. What about twitter? Instagram? any other social media? Any game by king or zynga? Nope.

This much RAM in a phone is worthless. My moto z play has 3GB, and it acts no different to a phone with 2GB of RAM. Everything gets put to sleep anyway to conserve power.

I'd much rather they lower the cost or put in a bigger battery then engage in this ridiculous spec war.

Wait, what do I need it for again? Watching youtube? no. Facebook? nope. What about twitter? Instagram? any other social media? Any game by king or zynga? Nope.

This much RAM in a phone is worthless. My moto z play has 3GB, and it acts no different to a phone with 2GB of RAM. Everything gets put to sleep anyway to conserve power.

I'd much rather they lower the cost or put in a bigger battery then engage in this ridiculous spec war.

Yes, 12GB of RAM is very excessive for Android even for heavy multi taskers. I think 3GB is the minimum however to buy a new phone today, and 4GB is currently the sweet spot for now and the next year or so of Android updates. 6GB is plenty for the distant future, 2-3 years.

2GB is no longer enough having used a phone with this amount on stripped down Android 7 up until the last year. I would have only a few browser tabs open and a couple essential apps such as messaging ones and they would typically have to reload again if you did anything else after. Such as snap with the camera or play a game. The pages would be pushed out of memory, and also therefore impact battery life upon reloading if you switch a fair bit as I did. You want 3GB since Android 7.

I would like phone companies to focus far more on battery performance than use headline specs such as this to try and tempt the gullible.

More is better.... haven't you lived in our society long enough to know that yet?

Anyone want to guess how insane the 12GB model pricing will be? I will be shocked if it is under $1500, LOL.

Yes, 12GB of RAM is very excessive for Android even for heavy multi taskers. I think 3GB is the minimum however to buy a new phone today, and 4GB is currently the sweet spot for now and the next year or so of Android updates. 6GB is plenty for the distant future, 2-3 years.

2GB is no longer enough having used a phone with this amount on stripped down Android 7 up until the last year. I would have only a few browser tabs open and a couple essential apps such as messaging ones and they would typically have to reload again if you did anything else after. Such as snap with the camera or play a game. The pages would be pushed out of memory, and also therefore impact battery life upon reloading if you switch a fair bit as I did. You want 3GB since Android 7.

I would like phone companies to focus far more on battery performance than use headline specs such as this to try and tempt the gullible.
Yeah, on 3GB that still happens, on a tab S4 with 4GB of ram that still happens. That is just normal behavior for android these days. If you dont use it after a short time, it is unloaded from memory, no matter how much RAM you have to throw at it. If these phones didnt, battery life would suck trying to keep 12GB of android apps running in memory all day.

I've also used a mote E play, the new one, with 2GB of RAM. It texts, makes calls, watches videos, and does social media without issue on android 8. It didnt reload noticeably more often then a moto z play with 3GB did. These phones with desktop levels of RAM are just ridiculous.

Perhaps this is different on some LG or samsung phone with a horrible skin, but on Motorolas with stock android, 2GB is not noticeably faster then 3GB, and neither are worse then a tab S4 with 4GB.

Java runs these apps on Android and thus Java is quick enough. Samsung thinks everyone going to want it's 12 GB flagship model. I am waiting for these cell phone shells to be replace by durable transparency, no surface scratches, no glass to break if it drops on concrete sidewalk. I just not seeing any progress in that department. All I see the same designs over and over they just remove the black area to give you more viewing on a smart phone that is already growing in size. Why don't we have some examples of how to mount these large cell phones in our LUV, MUV or SUV. Suction cup types just drop off the windshield if the vehicle windshield reaches temps of over 100 F. Mounted them on your AC vents is another options no one here done a report on that. Buzz words GBs 5 GB is now the selling point. How durable is these new cell phones?

A song my Muse that starts muh muh muh madness is all I can think when I see the prices for their next gen devices. Good bye Samsung.

Carriers are charging for more for phones because people are paying more. Same thing happened with video games special/extra content where they charged $10-40 more for that edition.

4gb is turning into 2gb of ram for Android. The os and apps that have memory leaks are pretty much standard anymore. And Android isn't very good at memory management at the same time. Look at Chrome its a RAM hog that just keeps eating up memory. Guess what its a Google/Alphabet product.

5G will be a big deal if the carriers support it, but I can’t think of why you’d need 12GB of RAM on a phone.

What will likely set Samsung’s next phone apart from the rest is how they will slay the bezels and notch completely.

Back