Leaked benchmarks show Samsung's unreleased SoC with Radeon graphics trounce Apple's A14...

nanoguy

Staff member
Something to look forward to: The fact that Apple's A14 Bionic only brought modest performance improvements over the A13 has led some to believe the smartphone spec war is over. However, Samsung's partnership with AMD may soon bring a mobile chipset that challenges the mobile performance crown for the first time in years.

When Samsung announced the Exynos 2100 mobile platform, it outlined a number of improvements that make it competitive with the new and popular SoC in town -- the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888. However, that's because with the new Exynos chip and the Snapdragon 888 bear some similarities in terms of the CPU design, and the South Korean giant has been under significant public pressure to come up with a better chipset of its own or drop the idea altogether from future flagship phones.

Early benchmarks performed using Samsung's new Galaxy S21 Ultra show that there's still a gap in performance between the two chips and that it mostly comes down to the different GPUs, with the Adreno 660 (Snapdragon) showing a 28% lead over the Mali-G78 MP14 (Exynos), albeit at the cost of running hotter. On the other hand, the Exynos 2100 is quite comparable on the CPU front, as it even manages to beat the Snapdragon by a small 4% margin in some tests thanks to slightly higher clocks.

That could mean that given enough effort and resources, Samsung could perfect its design to become competitive even with Apple's A-series SoCs. And since that hinges on integrating a more powerful GPU, that's where its partnership with AMD would become crucial.

The two companies have been silently working on an RDNA-based GPU for smartphones since 2019, and the little benchmark data that fell through the cracks in 2020 showed promising results against Adreno designs at the time.

According to a new leak, Samsung is getting close to releasing an Exynos chip equipped with an RDNA-based GPU, possibly before the end of this year. This is in line with what Samsung had already disclosed on its development schedule, but the more interesting part is that someone was apparently able to benchmark an engineering sample of the upcoming SoC.

This person only performed GPU-specific benchmarks and the results appear to be impressive. When compared to Apple's A14 Bionic, the RDNA SoC almost doubles the GPU performance in the GFXBench Aztec Normal and High School tests. Furthermore, the A14 Bionic manages 120 fps in the GFXBench Manhattan 3.1 test, while the unnamed Exynos SoC achieves around 181 frames per second.

Take these results with the customary grain of salt, but this could mean that future premium Galaxy smartphones will pack some serious GPU performance that will be competitive with Apple's next-gen A15 that is said to power the iPhone 12S lineup. Otherwise, the biggest question mark pertains to the chip's performance per watt, which could be worse on the Exynos chip. If Samsung and AMD can solve that equation, it could give Qualcomm a run for its money, while MediaTek will run for cover.

Permalink to story.

Is there really a crown ? You either want to be an Apple Fanboi with iOS, or you are an Android/Samsung fanboi, neither of which are a good option.
But if we are going with CPU/APU w/e I always felt Samsung had the crown so to speak having flagship chips.
Where as Apple had a year older or slightly outdated chip, but then had spent a year squeezing every lost drop out of it.
By default Apple seemed to ship their phones with the best settings, where as Android was left to the use to set up.
But as far as I can see the purchasing has nothing to do with the chip itself. It's just the Brand.

The real question for me is how will this stack up against the M1, with that being a derivative of the A14?

Could Samsung develop a serious ARM contender with RDNA GPU for the desktop to rival Apple’s so far impressive switch from Intel?

Yes yes I know they would need the software to support (Windows on arm, lol) but worth thinking about.

The real question for me is how will this stack up against the M1, with that being a derivative of the A14?

Could Samsung develop a serious ARM contender with RDNA GPU for the desktop to rival Apple’s so far impressive switch from Intel?

Yes yes I know they would need the software to support (Windows on arm, lol) but worth thinking about.
I don't see why that would be the real question. Samsung's main mobile business is phones and Android tablets. Related to your "real question", there is another rumour they are working on a much more powerful desktop version. Probably something AMD wanted as an option.

So for me, I don’t care about graphics performance on a phone or a tablet. I just don’t play games on them, well, maybe a bit of civilisation (hardly needs a heavy GPU).

But I do care about video/photo editing and power management and battery life. I want a device that lasts hours away from the wall and I don’t want a performance penalty for unplugging (like most windows laptops). Also I don’t like my device to get too warm in the hand.

Currently Apples solutions dominate the competition, this leaked GPU benchmark doesn’t really excite me. I want to see a leaked rendering benchmark, or something leaked to show it will use less power than Apples stuff.

Well I would normally join the "Cool, who cares?" crowd here but it's not like anybody can buy any GPU right now and it seems like it will be like this for at least all of 2021 anyway so is either this or consoles and Apple and we all know Android has at least a tiny chance of being a decent platform that's a tiny little bit flexible.

So for me, I don’t care about graphics performance on a phone or a tablet. I just don’t play games on them, well, maybe a bit of civilisation (hardly needs a heavy GPU).

But I do care about video/photo editing and power management and battery life. I want a device that lasts hours away from the wall and I don’t want a performance penalty for unplugging (like most windows laptops). Also I don’t like my device to get too warm in the hand.

Currently Apples solutions dominate the competition, this leaked GPU benchmark doesn’t really excite me. I want to see a leaked rendering benchmark, or something leaked to show it will use less power than Apples stuff.
Rendering always using both cpu and gpu performance so I don't know how can it still be a question for you after the new cpu is as good as the 888 and the gpu is much much more then any on the market. Nevertheless if amd touches something it's gotta be good. No I'm not a fan but I have eyes :D

Rendering always using both cpu and gpu performance so I don't know how can it still be a question for you after the new cpu is as good as the 888 and the gpu is much much more then any on the market. Nevertheless if amd touches something it's gotta be good. No I'm not a fan but I have eyes :D
It’s also software. Better hardware means nothing if the software doesn’t utilise it properly. I’m not even sure if Apples CPUs are stronger than the competition but when combined with software designed for it it seems to be.

But it is irrelevant, Android is a festering heap of garbage compared to iOS. It’s going to take more than a better processor to get me to change, they need to improve the entire experience to beat Apple,

Well I would normally join the "Cool, who cares?" crowd here but it's not like anybody can buy any GPU right now and it seems like it will be like this for at least all of 2021 anyway so is either this or consoles and Apple and we all know Android has at least a tiny chance of being a decent platform that's a tiny little bit flexible.

The relevant part for the PC world is that the collaboration with Samsung helps AMD develop more energy efficient GPU in general. Look at what working on Tegra did for later nVidia desktop GPU.

So yes, Samsung gets RDNA but AMD profits from Samsung‘s low power chip experience.

I don't see why that would be the real question. Samsung's main mobile business is phones and Android tablets. Related to your "real question", there is another rumour they are working on a much more powerful desktop version. Probably something AMD wanted as an option.

I’m not sure why you’ve latched onto the phrase “real question” but anyway I meant this is the question I see as most pertinient to my needs. I’m very tempted by the new Macbook Air M1 as a day to day media device but would really prefer Windows. This seems to be one step closer to there being a second viable option.

Last edited:

That is not true. The Note 20 Ultra have phenomenal battery stamina, best in class compared to any Android or Apple device. The S21 Ultra handsomely beats the Note 20 Ultra, and this with a 120Hz 1440p display!

It is true that last year's S20 Ultra had a mediocre battery life, especially for what you paid. This year's model is both 200 bucks cheaper and blows it and everything else out of the water in these types of tests.

Did I mention that the S21 Ultra does a mind blowing 1,500 nits of brightness, too? It's not a match, it's the next level.

It could be a revapmed k12 for desktop, something to really get ahead of intel

It’s also software. Better hardware means nothing if the software doesn’t utilise it properly. I’m not even sure if Apples CPUs are stronger than the competition but when combined with software designed for it it seems to be.

But it is irrelevant, Android is a festering heap of garbage compared to iOS. It’s going to take more than a better processor to get me to change, they need to improve the entire experience to beat Apple,

Android isn't so bad, it's not locked down like apple, it doesn't disable features when you repair your own device, and in general it's more enthusiast friendly. Sadly the best mobile OS is dead, but maybe microsoft can try again

That is not true. The Note 20 Ultra have phenomenal battery stamina, best in class compared to any Android or Apple device. The S21 Ultra handsomely beats the Note 20 Ultra, and this with a 120Hz 1440p display!

It is true that last year's S20 Ultra had a mediocre battery life, especially for what you paid. This year's model is both 200 bucks cheaper and blows it and everything else out of the water in these types of tests.

Did I mention that the S21 Ultra does a mind blowing 1,500 nits of brightness, too? It's not a match, it's the next level.
I’m sorry but in general, iPhones humiliate Android phones. They are much much faster, they have better app support, longer support from Apple. Far better cameras, much better resale value. I could go on.

Sure a note 20 has an enormous battery but it’s a much bigger and heavier device. And yeah maybe the screen is super bright. Neither of these things are worth sacrificing iOS and performance for.

Android isn't so bad, it's not locked down like apple, it doesn't disable features when you repair your own device, and in general it's more enthusiast friendly. Sadly the best mobile OS is dead, but maybe microsoft can try again
Android is quite locked down though. Technically you void your warranty if you don’t download apps through the play store. Same with Apple but Apple do make it harder to side-load apps, requiring a “jailbreak” to get there.

The problem with Android is that no one looks after it. Google do their version of it and then everyone else takes that and changes it to their design. The result is a mess for developers and poorly updated ecosystem as third party manufacturers rarely offer more than a year of updates. It needs to be more locked down really otherwise it will just end up stagnating even more than it already is.

Being open isn’t the be all and end all. In fact on a mobile phone I just want things to work, I’m not interested in putting in hours and hours of working, pioneering new crazy applications that I downloaded off some random site online etc. I’m usually on holiday, in a hotel room, at a restaurant, and I want to get a video out to my friends or look up info on something, use maps or whatever.

I’m enthusiastic about having the easiest to use and fastest mobile solution, therefore to me Android is awful. I wouldn’t say Android is good for enthusiasts, some of them yes, those that want to do weird things like play emulated PlayStation games on their phones etc but for those who are enthusiastic about how tech can integrate with each other in an ecosystem etc then no.

Yea, because the first thing I complain about is gaming performance on Android.
This won't help Samsung. Bet.

I hope Samsung isn't thinking about turning phones into mobile gaming machines.

It's incomparable, the problem is in the optimization, the m1 itself isn't able to be compared to any other RISC arm arch outside IOS so any conclusive data is flawed simple because according to scientific method you have to eliminate all variables, that includes optimizations made 1st party essentially cheating. Its the same problem when comparing an Apple A series to a Samsung Xyn chip they both cheat the benchmarks with the chips changing behaviors not normal to optimize for the benchmark making the conclusive data gained not indicative of real world performance.

I’m sorry but in general, iPhones humiliate Android phones. They are much much faster, they have better app support, longer support from Apple. Far better cameras, much better resale value. I could go on.

Sure a note 20 has an enormous battery but it’s a much bigger and heavier device. And yeah maybe the screen is super bright. Neither of these things are worth sacrificing iOS and performance for.

Android is quite locked down though. Technically you void your warranty if you don’t download apps through the play store. Same with Apple but Apple do make it harder to side-load apps, requiring a “jailbreak” to get there.

The problem with Android is that no one looks after it. Google do their version of it and then everyone else takes that and changes it to their design. The result is a mess for developers and poorly updated ecosystem as third party manufacturers rarely offer more than a year of updates. It needs to be more locked down really otherwise it will just end up stagnating even more than it already is.

Being open isn’t the be all and end all. In fact on a mobile phone I just want things to work, I’m not interested in putting in hours and hours of working, pioneering new crazy applications that I downloaded off some random site online etc. I’m usually on holiday, in a hotel room, at a restaurant, and I want to get a video out to my friends or look up info on something, use maps or whatever.

I’m enthusiastic about having the easiest to use and fastest mobile solution, therefore to me Android is awful. I wouldn’t say Android is good for enthusiasts, some of them yes, those that want to do weird things like play emulated PlayStation games on their phones etc but for those who are enthusiastic about how tech can integrate with each other in an ecosystem etc then no.

Sorry your wrong, I've never found anything that makes iphone integrate, a closed eco system that if you want full access requires you also buy an over priced computer, your forced into their ecosystem. I forced my wife off iphone and onto android when she managed to lock her phone and apple said if I don't have a mac I'll need to bring it to their store, that was a breaking point, I went to tmobile instead and bought her a new S7. I've never had these issues that everyone complains about, I used my v20 for 4 years and it just worked. So the myth apple users keep saying is similar my a fantasy used to justify your over priced pile of ****.

I don't understand where the IPhones humiliates Android phones. Power? no. Build quality? No. Software? perhaps, in some situations. Security? I've yet to find a modern android phone with such problems.

The restrictions imposed by Apple to the phones are just not worth the trouble for me. It's like I'm always fighting with Apple to get things done. The apple ecosystem is cancerous (intentionally made like this).

I don't understand where the IPhones humiliates Android phones. Power? no. Build quality? No. Software? perhaps, in some situations. Security? I've yet to find a modern android phone with such problems.

The restrictions imposed by Apple to the phones are just not worth the trouble for me. It's like I'm always fighting with Apple to get things done. The apple ecosystem is cancerous (intentionally made like this).
You are wasting your time in trying to understand a fanboy. There is no sense or logic involved, he's just regurgitating the same thing over and over and over. Might as well be a copy-pasta at this point.

The relevant part for the PC world is that the collaboration with Samsung helps AMD develop more energy efficient GPU in general. Look at what working on Tegra did for later nVidia desktop GPU.

So yes, Samsung gets RDNA but AMD profits from Samsung‘s low power chip experience.

Aye: maybe AMD can start bringing their APUs to aim not only at intel but also at Apple and the M1 which I suspect can become rather important in the months and years to come: Who wouldn't like 20 hours of battery fully fanless laptops on comparable performance to today X86_64 chips but without being crippled by Apple proprietary madness?

I am starting more and more to get bored of the ... brainless journalism.
Techspot, techpowerup, guru3d, all of them have started to just...spread the fud.
No technical questions raised, no objectivism, only superlatives, click-bait and crap.
I am a bit tired of this and frankly it seems like all the tech sites are starting to do this.
I am guessing it is because people like fud and if you don't spread the fud, you don't get traffic.
I get it, sure, but you could at least...analyze the news in a professional manner.
For example, RX6900XT beats the crap out of Apple A14. This means it is going to be a great phone GPU?
The benchmark results show basically nothing unless we know what is the power consumption.
If the samsung chip eats 10W while delivering 100FPS compared to 5W in the Apple chip which gives 75FPS, then one would choose the Apple chip just because it is USABLE in a phone.
So please...stop being fanboys. AMD fanboys, Intel fanboys, nvidia fanboys, no matter.
If you wanna be respected as a tech site you need to actually judge the news for us, mere mortals and tell us if they make technical sense.
Thanks!

True my mistake. Even the gcams shoots better photos most of the time and using the same cameras

Back