LED glass basketball court to make NBA debut this month, displaying stats and replays

Daniel Sims

Staff
Forward-looking: Innovations in display technology have allowed screens to be installed in unusual places, the most striking instance likely being the Las Vegas sphere. In another example, ASB GlassFloor has spent years developing and testing a giant LED display that can show critical data and other content as athletes play on top of it. The system receives its NBA debut this month.

Two February NBA events will be played on top of giant LED screens occupying an entire basketball court, marking the technology's American debut. The screens can perform various functions while withstanding the action from basketball games being played on them.

The screen can show real-time stats, replays, and location-based player tracking animations during a game. They can also liven up an event with other video content, interactive activities for audiences during breaks, and animations to punctuate notable plays. Inventor ASB GlassFloor operates the displays with proprietary software.

The LED screens appear to perform the functions of center-hung scoreboards and video displays without taking the audience's eyes away from the court. Furthermore, the digital display allows stadium operators to easily and quickly change the court's design and color without repainting it. ASB has also developed applications to help players train using the screen's tracking functionality.

Last year, European courts showed the technology in action. It debuted at the FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup in Madrid, and a German basketball league game was played on an LED court at the Bundesliga kick-off at BMW Park in Munich.

Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis will host ASB GlassFloor's first event in the US with the Ruffles NBA All-Star Celebrity Game on February 16 at 7 pm ET and the State Farm All-Star Saturday Night on February 17 at 8 pm ET. The Saturday Night event comprises the Kia Skills Challenge, the STARRY 3-Point Contest, the first-ever NBA vs. WNBA 3-Point Challenge, and the AT&T Slam Dunk.

With the technology in its infancy, it's difficult to determine whether or how quickly LED courts might spread. Much will depend on their cost, the difficulty of installation (videos of the European events offer a glimpse of the setup process), and their overall benefit to stadiums. ASB has also tested its technology for handball, volleyball, badminton, tennis, and other hardcourt sports.

Permalink to story.

This seems potentially distracting, both for fans and players but especially for the players.

"Your [Tech Geeks] Were So Preoccupied With Whether Or Not They Could, They Didn’t Stop To Think If They Should"
That was my first thought also. I like the possibilities, because the concept is freaking amazing. Seeing stats for players right on the court near them would be cool. Some cool graphics when they make a 3. However, the early demos look way over the top in my opinion. I get it, it is a demo and it cost a ton of money, they are going to maximize that capability even if it is not needed. However, there is no way they are going to be minimalist or moderate about its application, which will just making it annoying.

Worst of all, I have a feeling it will just turn into a massive advertisement gimmick, just like practically every other tech innovation of late. I can see them adding ads for each player's unique sponsorship as they run around the floor. Big marketing banners all over it and after every big play ads being splashed all over it.

A TV audience can see this sort of info just using computer graphics. Wouldn't that mean it's really just for those who are there in person? If so, is it worth it? Fortunately I don't follow basket ball as I'd find it irritating. I'm not against tech in sport. I like Hawkeye for line calls in tennis but that's because it stays in the background for the most part.

A TV audience can see this sort of info just using computer graphics. Wouldn't that mean it's really just for those who are there in person? If so, is it worth it? Fortunately I don't follow basket ball as I'd find it irritating. I'm not against tech in sport. I like Hawkeye for line calls in tennis but that's because it stays in the background for the most part.
It'll look like a basketball court during play.

This seems potentially distracting, both for fans and players but especially for the players.

"Your [Tech Geeks] Were So Preoccupied With Whether Or Not They Could, They Didn’t Stop To Think If They Should"
Not nearly as distracting as the enhanced puck crap that was broadcast with hockey in the 90s. But almost....

How can they make this floor not "too hard" ? I mean, there's a vast difference playing on old wooden floors and synthetic. The latter can be hard on the knees and other joints from jumping (think volleyball and basket)
This sounds like, it would be crazy hard- with no bounce or give.

How can they make this floor not "too hard" ? I mean, there's a vast difference playing on old wooden floors and synthetic. The latter can be hard on the knees and other joints from jumping (think volleyball and basket)
This sounds like, it would be crazy hard- with no bounce or give.
I was thinking the same thing.

It's basketball, who cares. BUT, natural wood floors have some give and are much better on the body than these new hard surfaces.

It's basketball, who cares. BUT, natural wood floors have some give and are much better on the body than these new hard surfaces.
FYI:

"...Underneath the floor's glass surface, which Myers said is virtually unbreakable, are LED panels mounted to a frame and air-conditioning to cool the lights, among other parts. Its surface has a little elastic give and texture, with tiny dots that offer more grip. Myers said it won't burn sliding players like maple wood does...."

I wonder how many LCDs are in there? I suspect some of the proprietary software (if they haven't "reinvented the wheel") could involve DMX (Distributed Multiheaded X).

If you can't even get enough video outputs into a single computer, you can take a copy of DMX, point it to multiple X servers and set the DISPLAY variable to your copy of DMX. So, if you have a computer with 4 screens attached, another with 4 screens, a 3rd with 4 screens, and a 4th with 4 more screens, you can then point DMX to all 4 and it seemlessly shows up as a single X server with 16 monitors attached. Ideal for video walls and the like!

FYI:

"...Underneath the floor's glass surface, which Myers said is virtually unbreakable, are LED panels mounted to a frame and air-conditioning to cool the lights, among other parts. Its surface has a little elastic give and texture, with tiny dots that offer more grip. Myers said it won't burn sliding players like maple wood does...."
More grip can mean more injuries. Just like the difference between natural turf and artificial turf. What's wrong with a wooden basketball court? From everyone I know. Nothing. It's simply a perfect medium.

Not only that, for the "Green" people. That's a lot of electricity needing to be produced, from the servers, to the LED array. Don't think wood need power.

More grip can mean more injuries. Just like the difference between natural turf and artificial turf. What's wrong with a wooden basketball court? From everyone I know. Nothing. It's simply a perfect medium.

Not only that, for the "Green" people. That's a lot of electricity needing to be produced, from the servers, to the LED array. Don't think wood need power.

Wood need wood... That's hurting a lot of trees... And the trees can't run. #treelifematters

That's extremely funny. Wonder how many natural resources are going to be eaten up over the lifetime powering that floor. Math, do the math.
Bad joke. Chill out... It's not a LED court that will deplet our natural resources... Smartphone and other high tech gadgets that need rare earth minerals are already producing truck loads of highly toxic wastes, cattle is ending up with land and water, we got islands of microplastics on the sea and soon inside ourserves (woohoo)... The future is already dark enough.

Bad joke. Chill out... It's not a LED court that will deplet our natural resources... Smartphone and other high tech gadgets that need rare earth minerals are already producing truck loads of highly toxic wastes, cattle is ending up with land and water, we got islands of microplastics on the sea and soon inside ourserves (woohoo)... The future is already dark enough.
I'm chilled. You sometimes don't know how dim witted some people are :). We are already beyond repair. But, mother nature is a *****. She will do what she does best, the unexpected. Nature always finds a way.

More grip can mean more injuries. ... What's wrong with a wooden basketball court? From everyone I know.
I blelieve in the context of that article "more" meant more grip than a slick glass surface. The article continued to state they had exactly matched the coefficient of friction to that of natural maple.

...rare earth minerals are already producing truck loads of highly toxic wastes, cattle is ending up with land and water, we got islands of microplastics on the sea and soon inside ourserves (woohoo)... The future is already dark enough.
And yet today, humanity is healthier, cleaner, and better fed than in all human history. The sky isn't falling, Chicken Litlte.

And yet today, humanity is healthier, cleaner, and better fed than in all human history. The sky isn't falling, Chicken Litlte.
Well... So it seems like we are just the same as was in the dark ages.... at least 90% of the wortd live in bad condition... Many still suffering/dying from hunger, falling sick from sanitary conditions... "Humanity" is a lot bigger than succeful capitalist countries, and even in the USA you got people on really bad situation.

"According to UNICEF, 829,000 people die each year from diseases directly attributable to unsafe water, inadequate sanitation, and poor hygiene practices"

The world really feels like a better place nowadays...

... Higher, Further, Faster all the way.

Last edited:
Well... So it seems like we are just the same as was in the dark ages.... at least 90% of the wortd live in bad condition... Many still suffering/dying from hunger, falling sick from sanitary conditions... "Humanity" is a lot bigger than succeful capitalist countries, and even in the USA you got people on really bad situation.

"According to UNICEF, 829,000 people die each year from diseases directly attributable to unsafe water, inadequate sanitation, and poor hygiene practices"

The world really feels like a better place nowadays...

... Higher, Further, Faster all the way.

Mr. Erickmendes,

Are you keeping up with what the "Climate Change" crowd are causing with farmers? In a large portion of the world they are FORCING them to reduce food production by up to 25%. have you not been keeping up with all of the farmer protests going on?

The big picture of the whole "Climate Change" thing is about power, money and control.

Are you keeping up with what the "Climate Change" crowd are causing with farmers? In a large portion of the world they are FORCING them to reduce food production by up to 25%. have you not been keeping up with all of the farmer protests going on?

The big picture of the whole "Climate Change" thing is about power, money and control.

Large portion of the world "farmers" produce only grains to feed livestock... If that land was used to produce real food and it be better distributed there would be less hunger.

These farmers are affraid about loosing gov benefits and are being used by right extremists to create fuss to get more votes.

Within 5yrs, there will be ads at half-court.

Within 10yrs, there will be a scandal of game fixing by someone slightly 'moving' lines mid-game to incur fouls on players or make it harder for a team to score.

Back