Linksys 5 port switch, no internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish Okie

I have just installed a 5 port switch (Etherfast 10/100) so that I can run X-Box and my pc from my broadband modem. The X-box works fine, but my computer cannot detect a connection. I am running a straight cable from the switch to the PC, and my network repair function says it cannot renew my IP address. I have my computer set to detect IP address automatically. I've read through the forums and tried everything I could find that might apply. The lights are flashing or on on the switch, and I have tried plugging into different ports. ???

This is strange...

By powering down my modem and restarting everything, I got my high-speed internet back. Now the X-box can't connect. What am I missing?

Does your modem have a router function? You need a router to share an internet connection.

What IP address does your computer get? If you have a router then it is ether 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x. If it is anything else then you don't have a router and you cannot share your internet connection.

Hmm. Thanks, Nodsu. I thought it did, but I'm not coming up with any of those addresses. Can I split my cable using a splitter before coming into the modem?

Yes you can split your cable but it won't help you to share your internet connection since you'd have to buy another cable modem from your ISP and they will happily charge you double for having two connections :p

If you don't feel like buying one of those soapbox home routers then you can make one out of an old computer for free.

Thanks! Since I am severely technically challenged, I will pobably buy one. Does that eliminate my need for the switch? Also I am certain that my ISP package includes connection for up to 5 computers. If that is the case, the splitter should work???????

If you split before the modem, as Nodsu said, you'll need to buy another modem. Might just as well buy a router. This will be able to replace your switch.

Some ISP's allow you to use Cable/DSL modems privately bought at the store. Check with your Provider and see if they allow this. Otherwise they probably won't give you another modem unless you pay double your bill. In which case they'll still set you up with a router to get your network up and running. Routers can be tricky though. Especially Linksys when it comes to sending files. Receiving is easy but sending could be a problem without a little help. First step is to check with your provider though. You can find Modem's pretty cheap on your own and it may be less then a router... in case money is an issue.

OK, I thought I had it solved. Going through my modem documentation, it is set up for two simultaneous connections, one USB and one ethernet. So I ran them that way without the switch. My ISP does allow multiple system hook-ups, and I made sure Windows was set for Share Internet connection. Still won't work. ARGHHH!!!

Hows this
click on link,may help , replace the hub in image with your switch
or buy a router with built in switch
net diagram
a switch will not act as a router

If I'm following you correctly, you have both the USB connection and the Ethernet connection being used at the same time? If so, that won't last very long. I've heard from many people that they burned out there modem when running it that way with multiple computers. You definately need to get a router. As a matter of fact, I have a Linksys Router with 4 port switch that I don't use and would sell to ya. Although you could probably get it faster and pretty cheap at your local computer store. They don't run much over 50 bucks.

Thanks. Finally got it running after hooking up a router. Took hours of fussing with that to get it to work, finally ran it through AOL port magic. Geesh, it seemed so simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back