LinusTechTips builds a $30,000 PC capable of running seven gaming setups at once

midian182

Staff member

Back in October, YouTube tech reviewer LinusTechTips created a single PC that was powerful enough to run two separate, high-end gaming machines, each with their own monitor, keyboard, and mouse. But it seems that wasn’t enough for the PC fan, as he’s upped the ante and created a single, massive tower that can run seven gaming setups at once.

The seven systems are far from what would be considered mid-range (virtual) machines. Each one is connected to a 34-inch Predator X34 monitor running at a 3440 X 1440 resolution, and Linus showed how he can play Crysis 3 at 60 to 100 FPS while the six other setups ran Unigine Heaven.

Building a single PC that is capable of doing this does, of course, take an immense amount of hardware – near $30,000 worth, to be exact. Linus started with an Asus Z10PE-D8 WS ($564) motherboard as it’s one of the only standard form factor Mobos that can fit in a gaming case and is able to hold all the components.

Next was the dual CPUs - two Xeon E5-2697 hyperthreaded 14-core processors ($5312) that could provide the equivalent of a quad-core CPU for each setup. There was also 256GB of DDR4 RAM (8 sticks of 32GB, costing about $2454 in total), and eight 1 TB SSDs (roughly $3267).

Linus used seven Radeon R9 Nanos ($4543) – chosen for their size and efficiency – to provide those 1440p images on the seven X34s ($10,003). The hardware gets its power from an EVGA T2 1600W ($429) PSU, and the whole thing sits in a CaseLabs Mercury S8 ($399.95) case, which Linus used as it can accommodate both the E-ATX mobo and a water cooling setup.

What’s more amazing than constructing this machine is the fact that Linus managed to get all the various components and peripherals working together. Kingston – who sponsored the build and provided the SSDs and memory – is showing off the PC at their CES 2016 booth. It may not be very practical (or cheap), but it’s still an incredible piece of work.

Permalink to story.

The real question - how much worse would any PC enthusiast do with a $30k budget? Didn't feel like an engineering genius that went into all that.

Seems like a pretty standard build - all plug and play with some water cooling loops. Not even a custom modded case to show it all off?

Wasted money.

That's an amazing set up, it's not actually useful, but it does have some serious enthusiast components.

This would pretty cool to have with a large octagon shaped desk, put this thing in the middle and then have the 7 keyboards, mice, and monitors coming out from the center to 7 of those 8 sides... talk about taking head to head play over the top.

Seems like a pretty standard build - all plug and play with some water cooling loops. Not even a custom modded case to show it all off?

Wasted money.
Pretty standard build? This has NEVER been done before. It has 7 SEPARATE computers in one box.
Actually it is just one computer technically, but it runs virtual machines that each have their own assigned video card and CPU core block with enough horsepower to function as 7 independent systems.

Wasted money.
Pretty standard build? This has NEVER been done before. It has 7 SEPARATE computers in one box.

He's right, nothing special was really done here other than dropping a boatload of cash. If it wasn't for Linus name attached, it never would have been news.

This is pretty much just a circle jerk. Any IT person would have loved to build this system and it's not like it's something hard to do compared to building a regular computer. Linus is a good salesman but nothing special of an IT guy.

They didn't mention the software side too much, but that is by far the more impressive feat. Sure, anyone can shove 7 video cards into a computer, but how many can actually make it work?

Super! No all anyone needs is six more pairs of arms and eyeballs.

Wait, I know, we can get that Hindu God/Goddess whatshisname to play it, and by himself/herself, no less! (y)

I'd bet this one could get to all the Easter eggs in record time:

813-ART-Sahasrabhuja-Avalokitesvara-2.jpg

They didn't mention the software side too much, but that is by far the more impressive feat. Sure, anyone can shove 7 video cards into a computer, but how many can actually make it work?

It is a new version of Unraid they are working on directly with Limetech, because they have a 10Gbit server that also uses Unraid. You can find more detail in the 2 gamers, 1 CPU : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJYMCbIbPk , not a step by step detail though

Wasted money.

He's right, nothing special was really done here other than dropping a boatload of cash. If it wasn't for Linus name attached, it never would have been news.

This is pretty much just a circle jerk. Any IT person would have loved to build this system and it's not like it's something hard to do compared to building a regular computer. Linus is a good salesman but nothing special of an IT guy.

I sense a disturbance in the Nerd:
when some could admire a person's handiwork for what it is but instead choose to pick it to bits because; well, I've no idea.

It must be hard being a legend.

when some could admire a person's handiwork for what it is but instead choose to pick it to bits because; well, I've no idea.

I build extreme gaming systems (see https://goo.gl/photos/WZZG53bMZxoknxzf6). If I'm going to build a PC to do >100 FPS in the most modern games, I'm going to go custom case at minimum - or in this case... not really a case. Because of the cost - usually only one a year. That build was nearly $4K last year (including monitor).

Nai, I just have admiration of actual handy work. I could follow your method and praise everyone and everything for anything they've ever done but I think I'll rather take a more critical stance instead of being another pundit.

Nai, I just have admiration of actual handy work. I could follow your method and praise everyone and everything for anything they've ever done but I think I'll rather take a more critical stance instead of being another pundit.

Well, post some of yours for us to admire in that case.

Well, post some of yours for us to admire in that case.

It's been obvious that you want me to expend a massive amount of effort on you because you enjoy laying the bait as much the next troll. Tell me, what need do I have to peruse my old posts all to appease you? Since your haven't been here for long, I'll let you in on something. You can view previous posts of any person by clicking on their name. Now that's settled, you can verify for yourself.

Now if you're the obstinate type, I'm fairly certain what your next move is going to be. In any case, I won't reply to any of your responses on this thread henceforth.

Are you really going to let yourself get sucked into this "battle of the dueling rookies"?

This is an extension of the eternal struggle between love & hate, admiration & dependency, playing out before you in the "very real field of cyber-conflict". There are dead electrons strewn about willy-nilly. Look, there's one with its quark blown off. Oh, the horror. Leave those two alone. They'll run off to Facebook and "unfriend" one another any minute now.

OK, so this $30,000 computer is wearing, "the emperor's new clothes". So what? In auto racing circles, it would be called a "sleeper". Basically, a car that just about flies, without outward accouterments of performance. You know, a car that isn't shi**ed up with racing decals and pinstripes. The proverbial, "vehicle to be named later".

Besides, the website could have simply run out of money and couldn't afford some stupid a** case in the shape of a dragon's head, with flashing lights all over it.

Which reminds me, if I had thirty grand, I'd buy myself a new Jeep, not piss it away on that piece of crap.

Last edited:
Back