Linux Windows Help Partition Error Ahhhhhhh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

omg, this linux install is soooo hard, could be made easier maybe it would get more users!!

anyway im in alot of trouble, i really want to start using linux so i downloaded FC3 fedora core 3 all 4 iso (64bit) burned them onto cd made the partitions with partition magic set them to active booted from cd and i get the KERNEL PANIC - no init (or something like that) now i tried booting from windows xp pro cd and i get into recovery console and i tried to write a new mbr no luck i need help please help me pleaseeeee!!!

thanks alot :hotbounce

ok ive found it its hidden or somthing is there a way to unhide the windows partition or install linux properly? please i really need help im sittin here waiting and no ones helping :( :(

I really need help here, ive managed to borrow a computer with partition magic off a friend and set the windows partition to active again but still it will not boot? it hangs at the screen now. anyone got ne ideas? neone? neone at all?

can you remove the partition magic created linux partitions, and create fresh ones using the linux custom install move with disk druid?

you might get some errors reported the first time you use partition magic, click yes when it offers to repair.

well ive been progressin slowly and managed to rememeber something i did that i maybe shouldnt of...

i did play about with fixboot and fixmbr on the windows xp revoery console this is probably the reason it wont boot, thers only 1 partition now on the drive the windows partition back to how it was but still wont boot :S

help :S

try booting from cd, choose to do an install.

have your c:\boot.ini file backed up first.

then, after first stage of install (before graphical phase) boot from CD into recovery console, and restore old boot.ini. make sure not to choose to format or anything.

then, delete the c:\winnt32~install (or something similar) named folder which had the windows installer files.

hi

thanks for the reply,

how do i backup my boot.ini files? and im sorry but that didnt really make sence to me, ur saying to

boot from cd :) ok
choose install :) ok
then .... after that im not sure sorry>?

i kno windows is on the disk as when i get into recovery it says login windows etc 1 etc type password etc.....

help :p

ok i tried installing fedora core 3 again and i get this error msg:

kernel panic - not syncing: vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown block (3,2)

wtF? lol this annoying.

i have some important stuff on the drive so im gonna concentrate on installing windows for now just waiting for some advice?

When do you get that error message?
What did you manage to do before that?

Do try to get back to square one. Either fix the partitions and get windows booting or wipe the whole hard disk and start over with Linux or Windows.

BTW you don't have to change active partitions for Linux.

ok im not sure i explained right ill start again,

1, Downloaded Fedora Core 3 (64bit edition)

2, Partition the drive in 3 (Windows, Linux, Linux swap thigie)

3, Set the linux partition to active like it said to do, so i could boot from the cd and install FC3

4, Booted up to install fedora got kernel panic error message, tried to boot into windows? no luck, put in windows xp cd went into recovery console, tried writing new FIXMBR snd tried FIXBOOT. Nothing happened.

5, Borrowed mates computer, using his hard drive to boot up got into partition magic set the windows partition as active again and deleted linux and the swap thingie, put it back as 1 partition (just windows).

6, Booted back up on mine, no luck, it hangs at screen just before windows XP screen comes up to load. If it hangs for more than 10 secs the screen goes a bit weird like letters vanish etc.

7, Tried installing FC3 again get that error message (kernel panic) again.

8, Help please theres stuff on the drive in windows i need badly.

My system specs

3400+ Athlon 64bit
512mb Kingston HyperX Ram
50GB Samsung HDD ata100
Windows XP Pro

Please help i dont wanna format if i can help it!!!

My mates system has FAT32.

You don't have to set the Linux partition active. Don't create any partitions for Linux. Just leave unused space on the disk and let the Linux installer do the partitioning.

To get Windows running again set the Windows partition active and then run fixboot/fixmbr.

When do you get the kernel panic? What is the last action before that? What is the exact panic message?

it is active and primary accoring to partition magic, just cant get it to boot :p:p:p and its the only partition now its all window no others none

Managed to edit my post several times.. In your previous post you said you did fixmbr/bixboot before setting it to active. Try again.

Not boot means what?

well im installin windows xp pro again on /xpnew keeping /windows intact thank god, see wat happens now :S

what did i do wrong for the linux install ne one kno? someone said something about no grub i dont know wat grub is lol, and cd scratched? there not lol downloaded and burned onto new disks
:S

You didn't do anything wrong.
You didn't even have a chance to do anything since it crashed. Now we have to find out why it crashed and if something can be done.

The fact that you just downloaded and burned the ISOs doesn't mean they were downloaded and burned correctly.

And please try typing in English.

lol sorry,

well forget linux for now theres one partition on there windows, i try and install with a different windows directory /xpnew, its starts installing then restarts then does the same thing, hangs unless i booot from cd again, then it does the SAME installation again :S /xpnew.

wats wrong?

copys the files ready for the installtion, then it restarts for some reason (not because of an error) cause thats part of the installation.

kk im gonna update everyone, after not knowing what to do i went into another irc channel some geezer in there helped me out the solution would be to resize tha partition so that theres 2gb at the start then install xp in that 2gb, thus booting up and ur files are safe, sadly the partition resizing went wrong and i had to format, its ok im on it now, all ready with proper partitions :p i hate windows :knock:

In future, could you please try to speak proper English? Not intending to flame, but it would help people to resolve your problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back