Locating Hi-Speed USB Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

RX_Queen

Please excuse my lack of knowledge!

I have recently received a digital camera as a gift, and seem to be unable to transfer images from it to my PC. I know the problem has something to do with my USB ports.

I have looked around on the internet and downloaded OS updates, but still I cannot seem to download images. I get an error message every time I try, which alerts me to the fact that the USB port I am using is too slow for the device.

I understand that there are two types of USB: 1.1 and 2.0, and that I need a 2.0 to work the camera.

When I look at my device manager this is what I see underneath my 'Universal Serial Bus Controller:

Intel (R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel (R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel (R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel (R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel (R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Universal Host Controller - 27CC
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

I thought they all must refer to ports, but I can only count 7 on my PC, so some must refer to something else (again, please excuse ignorance of subject!) But I noticed that as one of them refers to 'Enhanced' that must mean at least one of my ports is hi-speed.

I have tried the camera in all ports, and receive the same message. I have tried updating the drivers, but am told that nothing could be found.

If it the case that only one port is capable of hi-speed, how can I find which one it is? As my PC was made and hasn't been mass-produced, I am without any clues as to which port is which, and seem to have no way of finding out.

And if the port isn't working, how do I update driver successfully?

I am extrememly confused, and not a little frustrated and would appreciate any advice at all!!

Go to Radio Shack and buy a USB 2.0 compliant external 4-port USB adapter. This will plug into one of your computer's USB ports and you will plug your camera into it. If one of your computer's USB ports is 1.1, all the computer's USB ports are 1.1 The 2.0 External adapter will be 2.0 compliant even if it is plugged into a 1.1 port

Thanks for advice - it is appreciated! :)

I managed to find the problem, and it had more to do with my PC not accepting the camera until I fiddled around with the add hardware section. It now works fine.

Thanks again!

I have a problem box that pops up and says mine will work faster if i have it plued in a high speed usb port.
Are you clicking the x in the box to make it go away? that makes the usb disconnect some how..just let the box disappear itself. It should work.If not you need to buy a higher speed usb port.
Aim xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back