Logitech challenges Microsoft with new Ergo K860 split keyboard

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Once it became evident that computers were going to be a major part of the daily lives of millions, device makers started focusing on ways to cater to this emerging market. Ergonomic designs like the Microsoft Natural Keyboard briefly gained traction but largely gave way to more promising (and lucrative) avenues. With its latest offering, however, Logitech is revisiting the trend.

The new Logitech ERGO K860 Ergonomic Split Keyboard promotes a more relaxed and natural typing posture to work more comfortably and ultimately, enhance productivity.

For those not up to speed, an ergonomic keyboard like the K860 is typically one that orients the layout in a way that better aligns with how your hands and arms would naturally come to rest in front of you. According to Logitech, use of its new board results in 54 percent more wrist support while reducing wrist bending by 25 percent.

It may be hard to see the short-term benefits of ergonomic improvements but over a lifetime of use, it could make a real difference.

The K860 has also been certified by United States Ergonomics and carries a rated life of 10 million keystrokes. It is versatile, too, as it works with both Windows and Mac operating systems and can connect to up to three devices via Bluetooth Low Energy. Battery life is rated for up to two years from the two AAA batteries.

The Logitech ERGO K860 Ergonomic Split Keyboard is set to arrive later this month priced at $129.99.

Permalink to story.

Just looking at it gives me a splitting headache. I think I got a perfect name for this keyboard - The Splinter.

I've never had much success with Logitech gear, in that they break down a lot.

Also, a shout out to VitalyT for being a "TechSpot Elite" - I've always enjoyed reading your comments.

I was wondering how you guys got those banner on your name just clicked on it. You gotta pay for it nothing wrong with that as you are supporting the site.

I was wondering how you guys got those banner on your name just clicked on it. You gotta pay for it nothing wrong with that as you are supporting the site.

Yeah. It's very annoying to see. There is nothing "elite" about paying money. Elite to me means you've done something extraordinary and that few are able to do.

I've used ergo boards since they first came out. Find them a lot more comfortable than holding my hands flat.

Problem with this Logitech keyboard is it has chiclet keys, which I've never been a fan of. If I find it on sale in the $80 price range, might give it a shot.

These were the most useful curved keyboards ever made: (IMH terrible typist's Opinion,) anyway).

23-109-042-05.jpg

The keyboard is curved, allowing larger keys, thereby reducing the possibility of striking adjacent keys at once, yet nowhere near as awkward as a split keyboard. (It should be noted I tend to ad lib fingering patterns quite a bit)

I owned several wireless models.of these and enjoyed them a lot.

However, the USB to PS-2 adapters were garbage, and sometimes the transmitters gave out as well.

As for the keyboards themselves, I'll probably never know if they were shabbily constructed, or my drinking coffee at the console was responsible for their demise.

I've used a lot of keyboards. For me, none of them are as comfortable or productive as the Microsoft natural ergonomic 4000, however, I have always been unsatisfied with the fact that they do not offer this keyboard in a wireless model (Apparently, they did, briefly, in a few markets, but I've never actually seen one.) and that the key lettering wears off inside a year religiously regularly. As well, the models that are somewhat similar are not as good.

As mentioned, the "chiclet" type keys seen on the K860 and Microsoft Sculpt just do not offer the same tactile feel and endurance that the Natural 4000 does. Even though it uses membrane keys, it feels a lot like a mechanical switch and of the few models with keys like the K860 and Sculpt I've tried, they are just not comfortable or pleasing to me with their chiclet keys and erratic sticky behavior. Why is it REALLY so hard for somebody to create a keyboard that is both ergonomic AND has sensible features like mechanical switches, lettering that doesn't wear off when you look at it wrong and for God's sakes in this day and age, wireless capability.

Also, a shout out to VitalyT for being a "TechSpot Elite" - I've always enjoyed reading your comments.
Used Logitech kit all my PC computing life and only had about 2 or 3 issues. When I've contacted their customer support with any hardware problem them they've just sent a replacement peripheral. No messing around. Swear by their gear. I still have Logitech DiNovo keyboard, MX Revolution, MX Performance, and even older mice. Love the ergonomics of them and use MX Master 2S at work with the Flow software to control PC and Mac.

My disappointment was when a keycap broke on my G710+ keyboard, and the only way to replace was to buy an entire new set of caps. That was over half the price of a new G910 keyboard on Ebay so of course I used the excuse to upgrade (Although I do think I preferred cherry brown to Romer key switches). Other than that I have no real complaints.

I also tried Microsofts Sculpt keyboard that this new Logi product is mimicing. The issue with that was at 60-70 wpm that wireless connection didn't keep up and would lose keystrokes. The split ergonomics were comfortable and only took a little bit of getting used to. I'll be keeping an eye on this keyboard, even more so if it will be have flow support.

Last edited:
I've used a lot of keyboards. For me, none of them are as comfortable or productive as the Microsoft natural ergonomic 4000, however, I have always been unsatisfied with the fact that they do not offer this keyboard in a wireless model (Apparently, they did, briefly, in a few markets, but I've never actually seen one.) and that the key lettering wears off inside a year religiously regularly. As well, the models that are somewhat similar are not as good.

As mentioned, the "chiclet" type keys seen on the K860 and Microsoft Sculpt just do not offer the same tactile feel and endurance that the Natural 4000 does. Even though it uses membrane keys, it feels a lot like a mechanical switch and of the few models with keys like the K860 and Sculpt I've tried, they are just not comfortable or pleasing to me with their chiclet keys and erratic sticky behavior. Why is it REALLY so hard for somebody to create a keyboard that is both ergonomic AND has sensible features like mechanical switches, lettering that doesn't wear off when you look at it wrong and for God's sakes in this day and age, wireless capability.
Having had to use laptops a lot you get used to the chiclet keys. I would prefer mechanical every day of the week (other than switching from a Razer OrbWeaver to a Logitech G13 which meant going to membrane keys, but the G13 was more comfortable over all for me) but found the Sculpt comfortable enough. As in my other post in this thread it was its Wireless which I found flaky and missing keystrokes because of it was a big no no and it got sent back.

The keyboard looks very wide. It would probably suit typists who spend most of their day using the keyboard. But once you have to stretch to a mouse on the right side, you've lost all your ergonomics and will be injuring your shoulder. Even a TKL of this keyboard would be "too" wide.

I think you spelled Razer wrong :)
I have a lot of Logitech accessories and have got at least 5 years out of all of them. My G13 is over 10 years old. My speakers are closer to 15. They are my preferred choice for all accessories, except for my Mionix Naos 7000 mouse and that's purely because it's so supportive to use.

Yeah. It's very annoying to see. There is nothing "elite" about paying money. Elite to me means you've done something extraordinary and that few are able to do.

Pay to win?

Pay to win?

"Few are able to do"
About anybody can open their wallet. No, scum and a cheater is a more appropriate word.

Companies are selling cheat codes that used to be free in the gaming world. It is unbelievable people buy cheats. Games that have a huge lack of content put in artificial timers to leech people.

Back