Logitech G920 & G29 Driving Force Steering Wheel Review: A thrilling driving experience on PC

Steve

Staff member

Racing simulator buffs haven't exactly been spoilt for choice when it comes to affordable driving wheels on PC. While serious racing fans might lean toward a Fanatec setup or something similar, Logitech and Thrustmaster are the two most popular brands as they tend to offer more affordable packages.

Having been so long since Logitech first introduced the G27, we weren't surprised a few months ago when its successor was announced. Technically, there are two successors: the G29, which is compatible with PC, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, and then the G920 is for the Xbox One as well as PC (the previous-generation "G" racing wheel was never compatible with Microsoft's consoles).

Logitech says both wheels are built for longevity and that only quality materials have been used, though it has to be said that the new G29 and G920 don't look or sound radically different to the G27. The issue is that the G29 and G920 have a suggested retail price of $400 and the Driving Force Shifter sells for an additional $60 while the old G27 includes the part in its $270 package, so that's worth keeping in mind.

Read the complete review.

I'm very happy with my G29.

I was thinking of a T300 but if you want the similar type of pedal you have to add more money.
Here in South Africa the T300 GTE Ferrari wheel cost R6200 and if you add the pedals(R1800) and the shifter(R2700),so the total price is R10700.

I paid R4800 for the G29 and will only cost me R820 to add the shifter and the one plus is that the G29 pedals come with grips for the carpet so I don't have any problems with the brake pedal.

One thing I do hope is that the wheel helps make driveclub feel better.

I have a G27.. Still in the box. Took it out once and played with it but don't have a place to keep it out and have since not been as much into racing games (sadly, as they are one of my favorites). One thing they need is a way to strap the pedals to the base of a chair, a simple velcro strap around the base would work fine. But I keep pushing away from my pedals and desk on my roller chair which is a big issue. And I can't afford one of the huge, awesome rigs to hold everything in a racing position (nore a place to put it).

Just got myself a mint (2nd-hand, 1 week old) G27 when I heard/saw the G29.
G27 Pro's: looks better; has the stick as standard; cheaper when new; oh, did I say 'looks much better'
G27 cons: simple, linear, brake (now replaced with non-linear spring from GTEye)
So glad I was able to find one. I'm a PC owner but I feel for the fleeced PS4 owners who have been forced to accept this 'upgraded' version and, if it were me, I'd be would looking to the Thrustmaster if it wasn't for their reportedly high number of returns for the T300 (which is why I got a G27)

Still laugh looking at the small pedals which look so light and flimsy compared to my T500rs

Still laugh looking at the small pedals which look so light and flimsy compared to my T500rs

Truck pedals aren't cool ;)

Also the pedal design has been well proven with the highly popular G27 so there is nothing funny about the quality.

Truck pedals aren't cool ;)

Also the pedal design has been well proven with the highly popular G27 so there is nothing funny about the quality.
Im totally not compensating for anything :D, I just found the G27 pedals would slip forward when slamming on the breaks when I forget there's a corner

Good stuff as usual Steve.
...but c'mon...
Finally behind the wheel are the flappy paddles, which should be used for shifting gears up and down, though if you're a cheater who plays with an automatic transition then they can be assigned to some other function.

Automatic transition?

hehehe :p;)

G27 has better button layout, is cheaper and has the same parts. The only reason to get G29 is ps4 support, you can buy adapter but it costs 150-200$. Buying G27 from friend or from sale as they are getting rid of them in stores right now. Seen G27 as low as 250€ (new) so could buy 2 for price of one G29 (500€ here).

Does any car game support two wheel split screen :p ?

Hello TECHSPOTTER :p
I purchased a Logitech G920 with an extra gear shifter.
I'm using it on my Xbox One playing Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2
It works perfectly for me, however I have a couple of questions about this Racing Wheel:

- Is it possible to disable the Flappy Pedal for changing gears? (the reason I'm asking this because I want my younger bother to start using the gear shifter to simulate the real gear change and clutch, but he uses the flappy constantly)
- Does the Logitech Gaming Software can configure the settings of the buttons? (e.g. disable button functions, I know it has to be setup on PC)
- If button functions can be altered or deleted from the software on PC, will it carry over the configuration when I use it on Xbox?

thanks everyone :3

I have just bought g29 wheel...bad experience FORZA4 wont open ....windows 10 ..see others are having the same problem.....Now I am a wrinkly grandad and would like to be able to drive a car by xmas grand children...I have two computers windows10 and windows 8.1
what should I do to get a reliable game....windows 10 games are very costly...others are very cheap...should I formatt 8.1 and load either xp or 7....PLEASE help I really am a bit lost and lacking in confidence since the FORZA4 errors

FYI the G920 has a rotating row of small teeth to dig into carpet rug ect... slightly smaller than the width of the base on foot pedals, you can flip them down with the small lever shown in the picture above.. The brake pedal is really to stiff, whoever's idea that was doesn't use this model apparently. They do help a lot, I didn't notice either until I was sliding the whole unit forward from braking & started looking for a fix.

Back