Logitech X540 speakers producing popping/crackling sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

I have the Logitech X540 5.1 surround system, which I'll start by saying is a fantastic system. However, recently (and by recently I mean today) I began to hear the most annoying popping/crackling sounds coming out of active speakers. When I play music the sound is most intense in the speaker getting more sound coming out of it, like when the music switches from the left to the right channel (a good example song would be Meant to Live by Switchfoot, the very beginning), the speaker with the sond coming out will crackle. It only happens when sound is coming out, and it seems to do it ragardless of the volume or loudness of the song. By volume and loudness I mean the volume as what I control, the little knob and the control in Windows, and loudness as the actual loudness of the source song.

It's a really annoying issue. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself an audiophile, but if I had the money to buy the system to support that then I would be. This little system was just $100 retail (and I got it for $50 because I worked at Circuit City at the time.)

Just so I'm not posting without actually trying anything, I've tried listening to multiple sound formats. I've tried default sounds on Windows, I've tried DVDs and CDs, I've tried music from my own collection (WMA or MP3 compressed) and I even tried ripping some CDs to WMA lossless to get the most out of it...and nothing, same problem with everything.

I don't listen to the volume really high, either. Sure, I like loud music as much as the next guy, but I live in an apartment and I'd rather keep it that way. There are times where I'll turn it up loud, but you'd think I'd notice a blow out since I literally sit at most 3 feet away from the futhest speaker at any time I'm on my computer. It seems to me there are a few things it might be:

1) it might be wiring. Corroding or simply bad quality wires can cause this effect, right. Well, I don't think this is it, since I've never had this problem until today.

2) It might be my sound card. My sound card is built into my motherboard, it's full 7.1 output and it also has an S/PDIF output as well, but the X540 doesn't accept that. I honestly don't think it's the sound card either, or maybe I just don't want to because I can't buy another one. Literally, a new soundcard is out of the question. If you suggest it I'll know you didn't read the post.

3) Dirt/grime in the speakers themselves. This is a distinct possibility, I've never cleaned them and while the housing seems pretty solid, it does have an open front, so it could be that. What sucks is I can't figure out how to open it up, it's snapped together, not screwed.

4) They're blown. Well, this might be, but like I said I don't think it is. You'd think I'd hear a blow out, and I haven't.

So is there any one that can help me? As far as I know I've got the most recent sound drivers, I haven't turned up the speakers loud in the last week, so why did this just start today? Any help will be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back