Logitech's G Cloud handheld focuses on game streaming with up to 12 hours of battery life

Tudor Cibean

Staff
The big picture: Logitech's new G Cloud handheld trades the Steam Deck's performance for better battery life and a lighter form factor. It doesn't require high-end internals and sophisticated cooling solutions as it relies on streaming games from the cloud or a local PC/Xbox instead of natively rendering the games.

Logitech just unveiled its first handheld console developed in partnership with Tencent. Unlike the Nintendo Switch and the Steam Deck, Logitech's aptly named G Cloud primarily focuses on cloud gaming services, such as Xbox Cloud Gaming and Nvidia GeForce Now. Players can also stream games locally from their PC with the Steam Link app or from their Xbox via the eponymous app.

The Logitech G Cloud is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G, an octa-core processor with a 2.3 GHz boost frequency usually found in mid-range phones, paired with 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage. It runs an older version of Android (11) with the Google Play Store preinstalled, allowing users to download mobile games, social media apps, and video streaming services. Owners can also use it as a tablet.

Up front, the G Cloud has a design reminiscent of its competitors, with a 7-inch touchscreen LCD touting a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 and a 60Hz refresh rate. Flanking the display are the controls, including two analog joysticks, a D-pad, and four action buttons. There are also left and right bumpers and triggers on the top side.

The handheld comes with stereo speakers, two microphones, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a microSD card slot for users who wish to expand the device's storage. Its 6,000 mAh battery charges through a USB-C port, with Logitech quoting an impressive 12+ hour battery life. Support for Wi-Fi 5 and Bluetooth 5.1 is also present.

Logitech's G Cloud will start shipping next month, with the only color currently available being white (perhaps due to the cloud theme). It'll cost a rather hefty $349, considering that the Steam Deck packs far more horsepower at a similar price point, but preordering it will net you a $50 discount.

Permalink to story.

I don't see an advantage over just getting a phone and a USB-C controller like the Razer Kishi.

The specs on this is super underwhelming considering you can get a $220-300 phone (E.g. Poco X4 Pro, Redmi Note 11 Pro) that comes with 120Hz/90hz OLED (vs 60Hz LCD), better chipset/performance, 5G support, 6GB RAM and 128GB, and still have enough leftover for an external gamepad addon.

Plus this is Logitech's first Android product so the software will definitely be barebones and lacking features, not to mention the (presumed) lack of software updates

I don't see an advantage over just getting a phone and a USB-C controller like the Razer Kishi.

The specs on this is super underwhelming considering you can get a $220-300 phone (E.g. Poco X4 Pro, Redmi Note 11 Pro) that comes with 120Hz/90hz OLED (vs 60Hz LCD), better chipset/performance, 5G support, 6GB RAM and 128GB, and still have enough leftover for an external gamepad addon.

Plus this is Logitech's first Android product so the software will definitely be barebones and lacking features, not to mention the (presumed) lack of software updates

Ehh, have you ever used a Kishi? I have and own one. Somehow it feels not even close to as good or solid as a real dedicated handheld. It also doesnt really work with cases, which means you have to take your phone out to use it. You end up having to spend big $ on a dedicated phone anyway. And it still feels like trash and is way too wide at 21:9 etc as todays phones are. there is not any phone with an aspect ratio more natural to a handheld like this pictured. In fact with this being a 7" with a much fatter aspect ratio it looks easily 2x the size of any phone screen in videos. It's more of a small tablet display.

I've been following the "Chinese retro handheld" scene for a while now, even purchased one or two. I'm very intrigued and interested in this, and have followed it. It theoretically would involve more quality control than some of the cheap chinese ones.

That said I'm a bit disappointed in the specs and most of all the price. 249 would have been better, or even 199 or less. the specs (SD 720, 4GB RAM) are actually not a problem for me, theyre just not great. Also would have liked a current version of android.

not sure, I'll keep an eye on it at the least.

a retro/android/streaming handheld/console fascinates me for some reason, and is much more interesting than the steam deck. the steam deck just isn't a portable to me. it's just too big and no battery life. that said again, at 349 this is priced a bit high.

Edit: It's already on the logitech website for pre-order "sale" at 299, so that's promising pricewise if it's already seeing cuts on day 1.

That said one of the most annoying thing about chinese handhelds is they havent adopted the awesome amazon model of preorder only charge your card when they ship. Usually you pay up front then wait, which is a big downer. Not sure how the G Cloud will work (I havent tried to start an order) but guessing like other chinese handhelds, pay upfront.

There also doesnt seem to be anything noted about native android gaming or wink wink retro stuff? It needs to be able to do all that to be viable, not JUST cloud services.

It's late here but excited to dig into lots of coverage of this tmrw.

Last edited:
Well, I mean...it's a fine idea if you really just plan to play this at home. I have a Steam Deck and I specifically got a Steam Deck so that I can play powerful games on the go - on public transit, on a plane, doctor's offices, etc. I'm not exactly an expert on this Logitech machine, but if I must have Wi-Fi to play the games, I'd rather not spend the $350. I get that most of us have hotspot capabilities with our phones, etc, but it can be quite spotty and unreliable depending on your location. This seems even more niche than the Steam Deck.

Well, I mean...it's a fine idea if you really just plan to play this at home. I have a Steam Deck and I specifically got a Steam Deck so that I can play powerful games on the go - on public transit, on a plane, doctor's offices, etc. I'm not exactly an expert on this Logitech machine, but if I must have Wi-Fi to play the games, I'd rather not spend the $350. I get that most of us have hotspot capabilities with our phones, etc, but it can be quite spotty and unreliable depending on your location. This seems even more niche than the Steam Deck.

Yeah it's kinda weird in that it's a portable...but that fact is at odds with the fact you need good wi-fi in theory to use it! Which you are not guaranteed in theory when roaming. Kinda a catch 22.

But then again one could argue the Steamdecks large heft and short battery life are just as much a detriment to portability I suppose!

For that reason it needs to have good emulation/android local gaming chops to fall back on IMO, but the 720G/4GB is weak to my tastes for local android gaming. Should do emulators through SNES (which is all I care about) fine.

I'm still interested but the weakness of the 720G is bothering me more. I saw a youtube where a phone with that chip was struggling with fortnight. Not that I play fortnight.

This does have what appears to be a very nice, vibrant 1080P display, which easily beats the steamdecks dull 720P. It also has haptics and Gyro which is cool.

Honestly for what you get the price is kind OK or understandable for 299. I see ppl online saying "oh I wouldn't pay more than 99 for this since it's streaming based it should be cheap". Those ppl arent living in reality, you cant get a nice vibrant display alone for less than about 300 that I see! Closest might be something like a Fire HD 8, but yeah not too vibrant and also only cheap because they are heavily subsidized. Samsung Tab A 8 is 229, but a Unisoc SOC and 3GB/32, so lesser specs. PPL talk about Xiaomi or Poco but those arent really available where I live in USA. Maybe you could buy one from some dodgy third party on Amazon, but you still cant use them on American cell networks. Cheapest decent phones are the Galaxy A53 at $450 or the One Plus N20 at 299.

So yeah after a couple days I'm kinda disappointed most in the chipset. However I still have some interest. Comparing it to a chinese handheld, I dont think it's value is bad. You have to understand that you're paying for Logitech build quality/brand/bespoke launcher here too, plus a vibrant 1080P display and haptics/Gyro. I think if random chinese handheld came with these specs it actually wouldn't look bad. Ppl keep bringing up the Ayn Odin to try to make this look bad, but Ayn has been such a clusteF to actually order and wait times getting worse AFAIK, so not really a viable comparison. Plus that if you have issues you literally have to send it back to China etc. Plus lesser build quality presumably.

I preordered on Amazon so no risk, can cancel anytime til Oct 17. Again my biggest disappointment is the somewhat weak chip.

Back