lost connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiney

Setup is
Netgear DG814 adsl modem router hub
3 pcs connected to it on lan, all fixed ip addresses.

Problem

When one machine is playing an online game and another person logs onto the network the connection on the other computers gets interrupted. Once the other person logs on again there is no problem and it does not break the connection ?????

Hope you can understand that :)

Any ideas?

This may be a firewall problem, as (at least the way I understand your DG814) it is a software-FW on your PCs rather than a hardware-FW within the router itself.
See if the settings on each PC allow access from the other PCs in your network.

If it were really a HUB, it would me more understandable, but DG814 is supposed to be a SWITCH.
Can you confirm this?

Yes it is a switch, pardon my ignorance. I will check the settings you mention once i find out where they are :)

Thx 4 replying so quick

Ditto on the guiness

running XP ?
does this just happen with games
or just getting on line check out what M$ says you may have to do to disable there firewall

Thanks sam, yep i'm running xp pro all updated, firewall is turned of, and it is just in games that it does it.

Checked, all ip's are different.
Have just run the network setup wizard again and enabled connections to my computer.
Will try it out today. :)

tx again 4 help

Do you have any ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) stuff installed? If so, uninstall it.
With NATS activated in your router and fixed IPs each PC should work independently.

On each PC you can check out its configuration. Go into a command screen and type in: ipconfig /all
and press Enter.
Then type in ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx is the IP of the other PC. Are all of them visible?

tx for the reply my guiness drinking friend :)

Is there a way to copy the dos screen output to a file so u can see it ?
Cos it is oh so confusing.

When in a command session (used to be called DOS-session) type in:
ipconfig /all >ip.txt

This will direct the screen-output into the text-file ip.text (or whatever you want to call it), which you can open with e.g. Notepad when you are back in Windows, then just cut and paste into the forum reply-box.

Got your PM. You have to change your PC network settings as indicated in my posts in e.g. this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13973

ONLY your Router gets the IP and DNS-Servers from your ISP installed in the WAN-part. There you also set that you have fixed IPs for your networked PCs.

Your PCs need a network-IP such as 192.168.1.101 etc. with subnet-mask 255.255.255.0

Try it out on 2 PCs, then let us know how it goes

Thx AGAIN :) Realblackstuff.
Great info everything seems stable at the moment.

Time for a bit of black to celebrate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back