Lost Dual Boot After reinstalling XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathsDesign

I had my hard drive broken into two partitions. XP and WIndows 7. Everything was fine with windows 7 but xp was acting odd so i decided to do a fresh install of XP on the XP partitition (since i had moved al data from xp to windows 7)

After doing the fresh install of XP i no longer have the option to dual boot. It just boots directly into XP. (I have no menu saying 'Earlier versions of windows or windows7).

The partition and al files are still there on the windows 7 partition.

The only boot.ini file i can find is on the windows 7 partition and it looks like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

so I can see that there is no windows 7 option, but am not sure what to do so i can get back to my original dual boot menu with the choices of 'Earlier version of windows' and 'Windows7'

I was thinking i should just run the windows 7 cd and run fixmbr but did not want to go that route till i found out for sure that it would fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

UPDATE: After some searching on the net i tried booting off the Windows 7 cd and selected the language and keyboard layout and clicked NEXT. Then i clicked the small link at the bottom to repair. It said it found an error and that it added windows 7 to the boot. Restarted. Still only booted into Windows XP.

Then i tried using EasyBCD and it also found windows 7, it said it changed the bootloader and let me add windows xp and the second item. Made sure to click SAVE. Rebooted

It still only boots into Windows XP.

Not sure what else to try unless I boot from windows 7 cd. Tell it install and then repair?

Must have done something wrong the first time with EasyBCD. Everything is working great now.

Thanks for the help.

This can be marked solved or locked or whatever

Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back