Lost Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathhawk

Hi all,

I recently bought the following leads for my pc on a recommendation but have had a nightmare since-the leads are the following:

Ebuyer Extra Value High Quality Round Idecable Ata133 90cm In Blue
Quickfind Number:52438

I have 2 hard drives-1 200gb SATA and 1 80gb IDE

I changed the IDE lead but since then,no matter what i do,my pc will not see the IDE drive-its vanished!

I have fiddled with every connector,tried the leads every which way and moved the jumper-but still nothing.

But when i went on a website called PCPITSTOP.COM,i did the online scan and it saw both my drives-telling me the IDE drive had 45% free space-so how come my pc cant see it!

I put the old leads back in exactly as it was originally was but even then its still not being seen!

When the new leads are connected,the HDD Light stays on permanently so i know somethings not quite right.

Also,since these new leads,i had an ASUSPROBE program on my pc(health check) disappear.Its still in the ADD/REMOVE file but cannot actually be found in the pc-and i cant delete it even in safe mode-it says the file cant be found.When i put the disc in to reload it the message said not enough space-it needs more room on disc? But i cant delete it-aaarrrhhh!!

My motherboard is an ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE

I appreciate any help you can give me

thanks

Pete
London
uk

I have got a similar problem. I cant see my DVDRW anymore in my computer.

I have a

Pentium 4 GHz
1.5gb ram
74gb raptor
250gb wd caviar
asus p5wd2 motherboard

IBN
post a new thread should not walk on some's post

Deathhawk
make sure the master slave settings are ok
go to (right click )my computer manage
disk management do you see the drives there do they have info in boxs showing active
you may just need to give them drive letters

I'm not hijacking the thread.

I thought the post was relevent coz it was near enough the same problem.

None the less i have fixed the problem. I double checked the Motherboard Handbook and i had the SATA Drives connected to the wrong places.

Then i changed the the enhanced mode to SATA+PATA in the BIOS. And its working.

Check your Motherboard Handbook and see whether you have connected the SATA and IDES correctly to the right places on the Motherboard.

Also play about in the BIOS. i.e. Configured as Standard IDEs and Not RAID.

Reconnect your old IDE cable and see if that works; something could be wrong with the cable if your old cable works.

Hi all,

I have checked-rechecked-replaced-and replaced the originals yet again-and still nothing!!!

I have just cleared the cmos-rebooted,reset the bios, and went to change the leads again and the IDE cable snapped on me-AAARRRHHH!!!-though i managed to get the lump of plastic out in the end!

I have no idea what these new leads did-all i did was replace the old IDE for these new ones and-BANG!

Im thinking as to whether i should just buy a new SATA drive to go with the other one-i just hope whatevers caused this wont stop a new one working-though the SATA is ok!

I will try the connections again and look in disk management-if its not there you will all probably hear me scream!

I will keep you informed

Thanks for your help everyone!!

Oh No!!!

Just an update-i went into Disk Management and there is nothing there-or in PcWizard 2006,or Aida32!

Now the fancy front lights seem to have disappeared too-has anyone got a length of rope please?

Thanks

Pete

i really think you have to make sure you have connected the drive to the motherboard correctly. And by the way from reading around the topic its better to have either IDE only or SATA only.

On which drive is your drive C:

I am left with just the E: drive-the C: is the one that has disappeared.

The E: is bootable though as i have been using a program called XXCLONE that cloned both drives to make them identical!

The connections are right-there is only one way it will let me put them on

I will buy a new IDE lead tomorrow-the ribbon variety-to see if that works as ive been told i may have lost my IDE CONTROLLER-whatever that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back