Low fps in games

Hey,

I have a brand new HD7870 in my Core 2 Duo E6850 machine (Win7) with 4GB or RAM. I get low fps (like 20-30) whatever the game settings I put in World of Tanks (from low to very high) or older games. It never reaches the 60 fps limit.

My resolution: 1680x1050.

Furmark, OCCT, 3dmark Vantage return nice scores, in line with expectations for that videocard. Unigine Heaven, everything to max, returns FPS between 10 (min) and 80 fps (max) with a nice score.

GPU and CPU usage are low while gaming (10 to 50%). High in benchmarking (close to 100%).

Did not try it yet (not at home for a few days), but another forum tells me to update drivers, especially audio drivers. IIRC I use the default windows drivers, so they are pretty old!

I agree with Ritwik7, drivers are everything with high end video cards. I don't know about AMD cards, but Nvidia drivers are released frequently and usually boost performance 5 - 20% (the driver info file lists the % boost for dozens of games). Also chipset drivers can be outdated and cause slowdowns. Go to website of your system or motherboard and check for newer drivers for everything, even BIOS updates help sometimes.

Back