LOW FPS in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenluri

heey all i have a 2003 system and i just upgrated the graphix card to the 7800gc oc 256meg from nvidia 5900 128 i do see a fps increase but when im in an area where theres action or gunfights or lots people i get like 10-20 fps 40-50 when im not in a fight and it doesnt matter what RESOlution / Settings are up i can have everything low and its still the same i have the latest drivers from nvidia i dont know whats up im very frustrated have been trying to fix this for days -=(

Please post your system specs in your profile, or the posts body if needed, rather than in the threads title. - Spike

3.0GHZ P4C800DELUX 1GIG RAM 7800GS OC

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

3.0GHZ P4C800DELUX 1GIG RAM 7800GS OC
Nice rig.
What PSU do you have, make and model, max wattage, amps and dual 12v rail?

Uhm... what game, and I know even my X800XT shows single digit fps at tough spots. Only for a few seconds tho. Not too worried about it.

Maybe run a benchmarking program or something, and compare with other people's results. If its significantly lower, then we're sure something's wrong...

"What PSU do you have, make and model, max wattage, amps and dual 12v rail?"

I think i have a 500 or 400WAT system but duel 12v rail whats that?

the game im talking about is CS 1.6

keenluri said:
"What PSU do you have, make and model, max wattage, amps and dual 12v rail?"

I think i have a 500 or 400WAT system but duel 12v rail whats that?
Make is more important, quality psu's have dual 12v rails, splitting the avail. amps on 2 separate 12v supply lines for solid stability. Most computer devices are 12v.
Cheaper or generic psu's are the biggest reason for hard to diagnose problems.

I just reformatted my comp and now its like 50% better but im still getting 20fps in fights 50 out of fights in CS 1.6 s i got mine with the box is there a way i can see what psu i have i cant tell from inside it doesnt have a sticker on it.

You'd have to pull it out or take the other side of case off.
No software I know of that can ID Psu's.
This does make it look like you're under powered for your system with the new video 7800.

ok its a works power certified switching power supply dc output ... it has 3 things one says 430w another 480 another 580w

ok dc output430W) +5v 40A 230wmax +3.3v 30A 230Wmax +12v 19A 228W -5v .3A 1.5W -12V .8A 9.6W +5vsb 2A 10W

DC output 480W +5V 45A 440W max +3.3v 34A 440w max +12V 21A 440Wmax -5v .3A 1.5W -12V .8A 9.6W +VSB 2A 10W

DCoutput 580W +5V 48A 550W max +3.3V 40A 550Wmax +12V 28A 550WMAx -5V 1A 5W -12V 1A 12W +5VSB 2A 10W

Generic Psu's tend to do that. It should have a stamp or check mark for which version it is.
I really thinking your way under powered.
Unless some one jumps into this thread to catch something I've missed, I'd recommend going here http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp
to find how much power supply you need.

If its not my power what else could it be?

I do not have low latency ram in but its good ram and i put heatsinks ontop of the ram so they are nice and cool also i mounted a fan blowing directly onto the ram... the guy in bestbuy told me thhat if order to get the "duel channel" i must have same ammount of ram and same brand of ram in the Duel channel slots how do i know if my duelchannel is accutaly working or not because im not sure the 1gig is 512 and 512 Same brand... and he also told me if i put any more ram into the system i will lose the Duel channel. can somone clarify this whole thing ?

ALso i have not updated my AGP miniport ... but i cant find the upgrade for the miniport drivers for my motherboard anywhere. Also when i flash my bios using the ASUS auto bios update and i restart my comp it says Cmmn value not correct or something after reboot and it asks me to load defaults with f2 f1 is setup....

What should i set my AGP apeture with the 256 meg card and can i tweak anything else in the bios to make my comp any quicker besides oc it? i dont really wanna put turbo on i leave that thing on auto because it tends to hang if i keep it on.

keenluri if you still visit this board, how did you fix it?
I'm having the same problem, I'm desperate, I tryed many windows versions.
My problem is in CS 1.6 .. i run an Athlon XP 512DDR Radeon9800 100Hz monitor refresh, and in game i always have 20-60 fps, vsync on and off, 640x480 resolution, 1280x960 resolution is exactly the same, max details from catalyst, min details from catalyst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back