Mac... how do it use it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

resu

hi,

my girlfriend bought a macbook at Christmas because she wanted one for her design course..

anyway ive been trying to get programs for it
(where i get them is not the issue here as i know this site does not condone "alternative" ways of acquiring programs) :)

anyway so ive got a copy of photoshop and i cant get it to work under the latest version of the OS ... leopard .. is it??

i dont have a clue how the mac OS system works tbh i wish i did but i dont :S

now some people have said that in order to get photoshop to work i need to install it under and older version of the os .. tiger (i think)

now is there a way to downgrade the os back to tiger so i can do the required deed and then upgrade?

or would it just be simpler to install .. crossover (or whatever the app is that allows windows programs to run under mac)

has anyone had any experience with crossover?

is there a registry with mac .. if so where can i find it?

thanks for your time and i hope that you can help

i understand this site has its rules against certain aspects of computing i.e what has been mentioned above but i hope someone can help as i am not asking for a way to get these programs just inquiring about a method that i have been told about.

thanks again :D

Honesty is the best policy? Usually...

Do yourself a favor and cut the chunks you know I'm referring to out of your initial post to ensure that you receive the help you are looking for. I am not saying you won't as is but there is a risk that this thread will be locked and I'm sure you don't want that :).

Just get a legit version of Photoshop CS3 & update Leopard to the latest 10.5.2.

Installing a program in MacOSX consists in either drap/dropping the application's icon in the Applications folder or launching an install file.

Go with what Didou said - but in general Macs use plist files instead of a registry. You'll spend plenty of time in a terminal window so I'd advise you to go ahead and add that to your dock - it's located in Applications/Utilities . Most of your plist files are located in /Library/Preferences and are named (typically) com.<company_name>.<application_name>.plist . Many apps don't follow typical structure here and Adobe is one of the worst about it. They will tend to bury actual folders of preferences in here depending on which of their products you have installed.

On Macs, what you know as a shortcut is an alias.

select the program name
go to the File menu->make alias

now select the Alias and you can drag it the desktop.

if you want it on the dock (that thing on the bottom of the screen), just drag it
to the spot you like and release.

thanks for all your replies ill have a play tonight

sry for the long post i was at work .. and was rambling :(

legit versions of adobe stuff are great and , yes alot less hassle but students dont really have £500 + to blow on software
sure there are educational versions for cut price but then whats the point in buying a piece of incomplete software?

i understand that these are very powerful programs and have had alot of time spent on them but alot of companies now expect everyone to use photoshop well and alot of courses expect you to have the latest full version of photoshop
it frustrates me how people are pretty much forced to either buy it and then watch in horror as adobe churn out their next version only a few months later, or spend hours trying to find the torrent that promises everything....

i mean for my architectural degree they actually said "we expect you to have the following software: viz, autocad, 3ds max, vray and photoshop" well right there your looking at a cars worth of software lol
they also added "we dont care how you get them, but just get them! but dont waste your money buying them"
im sry but if big institutions are doing it then what hope is there for the average joe to walk into a store and spend the money???

well tahts my rant

i do understand but we need to learn somehow

thanks again

I think very few learning institutions are like that. They can't expect you to spend several thousands on software. There has to be more to the story than that. Surely they have a lab, or at least some type of computer those in the class can use that has the software on it, or a program to get the software through the school at a discounted price.

There are courses at the university that I work at that require specific software (AutoCAD, NX, ArcGIS, ect) that 99.8% of the people can't afford. So to make up for that there are labs with computers that have that software.

The only way I can see what you are describing is if it is some small college that is primarily a 'distance education' or night school place where they expect their students to be working in an industry where they have access to those softwares.

And, just FYI, if a Mac app doesn't have an installer it is just drag and drop. They don't even have to be placed in the Applications directory. So if your girlfriend had a previous Mac you could bring over apps by connecting them via firewire and drag drop from one to another.

thats cool cheers

all i know is what i was told at uni by the tutors and the head of the school of architecture .. thats all
this was/still is a full time course btw
yeah they had a computer lab ... 30-50 pcs with the required software for 120 students per year for a 7 year course
and with everyone having crits on the same weeks it doesnt really help the situation

ive been to a few uni's in london aswell .. in search of a better run course but tbh they're all pretty much the same

every brief involves 3d models etc which the tutors expect to be done in MAX
... i dnt really mind as ive got my mits on the needed apps
but for others who dnt know how or cant then its so much harder for them to get a good grade especially when you dnt have 24hr access to the software that you need.

and wen it comes to rendering ... well you either sit there and watch it for 3hrs or you go off and try and work on something else .. and ultimatly run the risk of some 1st year shutting your computer down so they can use it because there are no other free computers.

ahhh well...
you can believe or not all i know is what know :p

thansk again for the general mac help id better get learning lol

hehe

i have to say after about an hour of full on mac play . i think ive sorted it out now :)
i managed to get some trial software in the end that i managed to patch aswell :D.. but thats another story for another forum lol ;)

must say i think im turning into a mac convert
once we get our house sorted and i can make my media centre pc quiet enough to sit under the TV then i think ill look into an imac or sumthin.. gotta love those 24" screens lol
maybe the mac pro .. but it doesnt look as good
ahh well will have to run the specs vs costs i guess

thanks again for your time

may have a dabble with crossover tonight .. see what thats capable of :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back