Mad Box console's future in doubt following Google Stadia reveal

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Remember the Mad Box, the machine being planned by Project Cars developer Slightly Mad Studios that was supposedly “the most powerful console ever made?” It looks as if its future is now in doubt, all because of Google.

At the beginning of the year, Slightly Mad CEO Ian Bell said the Mad Box would launch in “three-plus years,” and cost a “standard plus next-gen price.” He added that the specs would match “a very fast PC two years from now,” and it would also provide a high-fidelity VR experience.

Snazzy concept images of the Mad Box and its screen-sporting controllers arrived a few weeks later, but we haven’t heard too much since then. Now, however, it appears there may never be a final product.

Nathan Bell, Slightly Mad Studio's online marketing director, told PCGamesInsider that following Google’s announcement of its Stadia game streaming platform, two investors have pulled out of the project.

"We had some solid investment lined up but Google saying 'the future of gaming isn't in a box' hasn't done us any favours."

“All I can say at this stage is the future of the project is questionable."

Stadia, of course, promises 4K HDR streaming at 60 frames per second, and all you need is a device with Chrome and a fast internet connection. Google even promises 8K resolutions at 120 frames per second when the technology evolves.

Stadia isn’t the only thorn in the Mad Box’s side. Slightly Mad filed the Mad Box name with a European IP organization in January, but a French games company called Madbox objected, leaving the firm no choice but to withdraw its application for the trademark.

So, it seems that in the unlikely scenario Slightly Mad ever does make “the world’s most powerful console,” it will have a different name.

Permalink to story.

I belive we won't see any new console manufacturer for a while, because market right now is already divided (M$, Sony and what is left or is creative goes to Nintendo Land) + we do not really desperately need another custom build PC.

I would rather this over the Stadia.
But I also have a decent gaming PC, so I'd get neither anyways...

I'll gladly take one of those controllers, though. They are pretty sick, but the console just isn't going to thrive in the current market. I suppose they could convert it into a Steam and Epic game box, though. I think that's the only chance it will get.

Yeah I predicted this would go nowhere simply because of where the market is with gaming right now. You have Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. That's it. That's how it's going to stay for a while. I don't even see Google's Stadia taking off unless it has a crazy strong launch. Streaming is not ready for primetime in gaming. Latency will be a real problem. I'm not sold at all.

Hey, nothing stops them from trying out Kickstarter, if people really want this console to happen they'd help fund it themselves no problem

Stadia is no good for me as I don't have a "fast" internet connection... I still think there will be plenty of people that would prefer a console over a streaming service

Ian Bell is a wanker.

He absolutely is. He's a loud alcoholic who has constantly lied to the community and his investors. At the peak of his insanity on Twitter going on and on about how the console was going to be incredible and offering up tons of different hardware designs without having tech details worked out, I was calling him out on each and every one of his lies. He kept banning me time and time again so I kept creating Twitter accounts. It actually got to him in a bad way and that's just sad considering he's supposed to be the CEO of a company to deliver a console that completely destroys everything on the market today. That was further evidence his product was never going to release. He has no self control and is all hot air

Back