Making a gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
They would handle those games quite well. However, the RAM you chose at Newegg is out of stock at the moment.

well, you've bought kit that will easily handle vista for one. The 4870 is DX10.1, so use it dude. DX10 is very nice is newer games (and only on Vista).
And seeing as you're building a 'gaming rig' i'd definitely go for Vista HP.
Also consider whether 32-bit or 64-bit. 32-bit cannot fully utilise 4gb of ram. Vista 32-bit will use between 3-3.4gb. I don't think XP Home won't be able to use that much.
Of course 64-bit of either XP or Vista will see and utilise all 4gb of ram, but you may run into driver issues for some hardware AND software.
If it were me; Vista all the way from now on (and personally i'm sticking with 32-bit right now)
Don't fork out a bundle on your hardware then go neanderthal and use xp home just to save some dorra!

well, you've bought kit that will easily handle vista for one. The 4870 is DX10.1, so use it dude. DX10 is very nice is newer games (and only on Vista).
And seeing as you're building a 'gaming rig' i'd definitely go for Vista HP.
Also consider whether 32-bit or 64-bit. 32-bit cannot fully utilise 4gb of ram. Vista 32-bit will use between 3-3.4gb. I don't think XP Home won't be able to use that much.
Of course 64-bit of either XP or Vista will see and utilise all 4gb of ram, but you may run into driver issues for some hardware AND software.
If it were me; Vista all the way from now on (and personally i'm sticking with 32-bit right now)
Don't fork out a bundle on your hardware then go neanderthal and use xp home just to save some dorra!

Sounds good man thanks for all the tips, it helps alot :D!

xp Home will do about anything PRO will except a few network things, it is good for about anything u would do and costs less so stay with it.Vista64 will use the mem. better, but if u looked on the main page when u came into this forum u might have noticed Microsoft is supporting XP until the new OS is out so stay with xp and save the money. and XP64 is a joke so do not even look at it.

i agree with what nickc is saying but i'd still move to Vista. Why? because its now the mainstay windows OS. So what if xp is being supported for a little while longer, that is predominantly because of pressure from businesses who had experience huge problems with vista networking and legacy hard/software.
I run the IT in our company and have had to make the decision to stick with xp for these reasons and all of our suppliers are doing the same.
Its a gaming rig with penty of power so utilise DX10 which is far superior to DX9. There may not be a huge amount of games yet that fully take advantage of DX10 but that will happen soon enough. And with such a good spec for his rig he won't see much fps drop at all.
Yes xp is cheaper with the recent vista price hike its about £15 or so cheaper. To me that wouldn't be a consideration when you'r shellling out that much for hardware.

I say get Vista64, use all your RAM. I haven't had any issues with Vista64 and nothing I've plugged in had a driver issue at all, as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure everything you can plug in will either have built in drivers that work or the manufacturer already makes 64bit drivers for it.

DalMak420, how do u mean that? win xp home will support multi-core cpu's as well as pro will, there will be no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back